Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got our boat to run consistent. Launch consistent.

Had nothing to do with the turbos. All boat. Responded to every change, absolutely predictable.

Just for the record. LOL

Next year is looking up.

·
Registered
351 Posts
We finally got our boat to run consistent. Launch consistent.

Had nothing to do with the turbos. All boat. Responded to every change, absolutely predictable.

Just for the record. LOL

Next year is looking up.

Boat looked Great at Firebird Dillion / Ron!! Cant wait to see it running next year!

Darin

·
Registered
417 Posts
It was great to meet you and your son. Boat ran hard all weekend

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Ron,
I saw it and and agree, I knew it was going to put out way more hp/tq than you needed up front.
I also know what a low level of tune that motor is running at, at only 14# boost, but you're never going to convince some of the turbo / efi advantages.

Seems like such a short time ago in Sept 2011 when you first fired it up. You guys have come a long way in a short time. :))THumbsUp

·
1,814 Posts
ron it was a pleasure to meet you & dillon, your boat is bad ass!..... in the Q E thread i believe you mentioned you had to replace a turbo ? just wondering what happened to it ?

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great meeting you too man.

My turbo oil pressure regulator malfunctioned. When I switched them out the damaged one was dry. We ran all weekend with one new turbo and one not so happy turbo.

We run 100 psi in the engine. Reduce it down for the turbos.

·
1,814 Posts
Great meeting you too man.

My turbo oil pressure regulator malfunctioned. When I switched them out the damaged one was dry. We ran all weekend with one new turbo and one not so happy turbo.

We run 100 psi in the engine. Reduce it down for the turbos.
wow 100 psi! i cant get over 80psi cold. 60-ish warm. expensive oil pump? or do you just have tight bearing clearences. pretty high tech!

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow 100 psi! i cant get over 80psi cold. 60-ish warm. expensive oil pump? or do you just have tight bearing clearences. pretty high tech!
We were hurting bearings the few times we ran it last year. Was pretty sure it was ignition timing doing it but wasn't taking any chances. Titan oil pump. Ran the same set of bearings all year this year. 8 races and many trips to the lake. Engine would have stayed in all year also if we hadn't been trying to fix the smoke deal. It will stay in all year next year.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
My turbo oil pressure regulator malfunctioned.
I use a couple oil inlet flanges from Bullseye that come with .070 orifice's and the -4 line connects right to it.
I've had a learning curve on the oil pressure and return lines that always resulted in leaks. Always at the lake too.
I ran braided line for the oil pressure for years but eventually they don't like the heat and leak. The fittings eventually leak too.
Now I use only steel tubing. It looks cleaner and is cheaper too.

I had some leaks in the drain lines too until I ran steel tubing for the first 6" before it switched to -12 braided line.

·
1,814 Posts
We were hurting bearings the few times we ran it last year. Was pretty sure it was ignition timing doing it but wasn't taking any chances. Titan oil pump. Ran the same set of bearings all year this year. 8 races and many trips to the lake. Engine would have stayed in all year also if we hadn't been trying to fix the smoke deal. It will stay in all year next year.
just curious what style bearings are in your turbos? are they journal or ball bearing ,ceramic or steel, double or triple ball bearings?......mark it was a pleasure meeting you too.......how much timing was too much? i am still tuning on the timing, you are e-85 i beiieve?

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
All of us that run the Borg Warner S 475's have the same plain journal bearing turbo's. Cheap diesel units about $ 650. each.
Anything more would be a waste of money as these are too much already.

I've been running the same 33 degree's total timing with no intercooler, ethanol or methanol, and it's worked good for me.

·
1,814 Posts
All of us that run the Borg Warner S 475's have the same plain journal bearing turbo's. Cheap diesel units about $ 650. each.
Anything more would be a waste of money as these are too much already.

I've been running the same 33 degree's total timing with no intercooler, ethanol or methanol, and it's worked good for me.
thanks mark, kinda wondering what too much timing was for info's deal , ( the timeing he was running when he hurt the bearings... mains or turbo bearings?). ....... if it was the journal bearing thrust surface that was damaged i would recomend putting ing some zink additive. my turbos waisted the journal bearings out all the time & i got a bit more protection with the comp cam break-in additive. also what my turbo builder told me is they used to make jounal bearings out of a bronze/ brass? something harder than aluminum. that would hold out better...easy to rebuild if it was mains i beleive it would be timing . i pounded out the mains so bad once on the river i had to get all new caps & line bore the thing. i believe that was at 40* (crept up on me ) had set it at 33*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts