Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

MAKE AMERICA GREAT -- Make things more expensive.
For someone who claims to want to help the middle class, why would you raise the postal rate (tax)? Does he think raising Postal Rates would increase the use of the Post Office when Amazon is already cheaper?

In a tweet on Friday morning, Trump suggested that the United States Postal Service doesn’t charge enough to deliver packages, advantaging Amazon and others instead of the government-backed service.
“Why is the United States Post Office, which is losing many billions of dollars a year, while charging Amazon and others so little to deliver their packages, making Amazon richer and the Post Office dumber and poorer?” Trump tweeted. “Should be charging MUCH MORE!”

·
Registered
100 Posts
There's your poor reading comprehension again . Try reading the article not just the tweet . He wasn't saying raise postal rates for everyone . He said they should not be charging Amazon less than everyone else and raise Amazons rates . Yes that would add a little more to people who order from amazon . But most of Amazon is free shipping . He's right . When you have a postal service that looses money every year they should not be reducing prices of shipping for anybody . The cost of shipping is the cost of shipping . Unless they are charging Amazon what it really costs to ship a package and sticking it to us .

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's your poor reading comprehension again . Try reading the article not just the tweet . He wasn't saying raise postal rates for everyone . He said they should not be charging Amazon less than everyone else and raise Amazons rates . Yes that would add a little more to people who order from amazon . But most of Amazon is free shipping . He's right . When you have a postal service that looses money every year they should not be reducing prices of shipping for anybody . The cost of shipping is the cost of shipping . Unless they are charging Amazon what it really costs to ship a package and sticking it to us .
Perhaps you should consider your selective comprehension skills. I posted the entire essence of the story and not just his tweet. Yet you appear to say I didn't understand what I posted.

You post, "But most of Amazon is free shipping" which makes it read as though the Post Office is shipping for Amazon free. You need to brush up on some writing skills, unless you really think the Post Office is shipping for Amazon, free.

Amazon is not the only supplier of goods that uses the Post Office, and yes they probably get a break on pricing, as do many other companies. Your President singled out only Amazon, and is using his office to specifically criticize Amazon. Trump is a disgrace to the office for using his office to attack individual companies that he views not supporting him. That's totally wrong.

·
83 Crusader - 468 BBC
2,525 Posts
Once again, expecting a Liberal Progressive to understand that loosing $5.6B annually is totally irresponsible and "they" try to prop it up their argument as another entitlement needed for the middle class and the poor...And YET, "they" BITCH and WHINE about the increasing U.S. deficit. :knockout:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Loosing $1.43 on average on any package delivered for Amazon is a good enough reason alone and is the perfect example. That's why Trump said Amazon by name.
As was pointed out before Amazon give out free shipping on most items (they eat the cost of shipping) so if the post office raises rates it shouldn't affect the cost of the item to the consumer. If it does because Amazon loses its sweetheart deal will only make it fair for everyone else that uses the post office.
The bottom line is I'm sick of subsidizing Amazon with our tax money and they are not alone. Even fed-ex and UPS uses the post office to areas they don't want to go to (no money to be made). If we have to have a federal government post office then they need to charge enough to be profitable.

·
83 Crusader - 468 BBC
2,525 Posts
And to add:

According to Citigroup’s analysis, if these costs were fairly redistributed and allocated, the average parcel would cost around $1.46 more to deliver. Amazon has used a method called “postal injection” to save money on their own deliveries, delivering pre-sorted Amazon packages to local post office delivery depots for “last mile” deliveries to be made by the USPS at a greatly discounted price. With Amazon warehouses located near many USPS depots, Amazon has managed to outsource almost two-thirds of their deliveries to the United States Postal Service.

So is President Trump right in saying that the USPS should be charging Amazon much more? Based on the current figures relating to the number of packages the USPS delivers for Amazon, the price they charge for delivery, and the Postal Service’s current financial state,
the answer is clearly yes. :yes:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Since I need to brush up on some of my writing skills when conversing with Jerry's Kids I will be concise . First of a gov entity should not be picking winners and loosers . The post office is a tax payer funded entity and should never be adjusting prices for anyone . The going rate for a package is just that , the going rate . Companies like UPS and Fed Ex can make contractual agreements based on volume all they want .

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
No mater what Trump does, it is not enough. He is a racist, bigoted, lying, thieving, womanizing, rapist!!! Right Juggy?

Meanwhile, stock market - up, economy growth - up, unemployment - down. The outlook is bright!!! #MAGA

·
Registered
181 Posts
postal

Az you not only need to brush up on your writing skills it would help if you had a clue what you were writing about. the post office is not tax payer funded. it is self funded. it also has to pay prepay it's employee retirement and benefits for 75 years in advance. no other government dept. or company has that burden. that came in under bust jr. pres. that's why the are in the red every year. that little fact has been published over and over again but conservatives keep leaving that little fact out. is it by accident or alternative facts.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since I need to brush up on some of my writing skills when conversing with Jerry's Kids I will be concise . First of a gov entity should not be picking winners and loosers . The post office is a tax payer funded entity and should never be adjusting prices for anyone . The going rate for a package is just that , the going rate . Companies like UPS and Fed Ex can make contractual agreements based on volume all they want .

I'm not sure what century you live in, but the Post Office has adjusted prices for as long as I remember. Have you not heard of junk mail or bulk mail? They do not pay the same rate as all other mail.

You say that, "A gov entity should not be picking winners and losers." Well, they do all the time, such as when they award contracts. Oh, I don't think that's what you really mean though, even if it is what you wrote. Shall we discuss comprehension skills further?

Assuming you are writing about the Postal Service, the contract the Postal Service has with Amazon, Fedex or many other companies is available to other companies if they agree to ship certain amounts of parcels. It's known as volume discount.

As far as the Federal Government picking winners or losers, it seems strange that you appear to support and defend Trump when he is by far the worst offender in government about promoting certain companies and his family businesses, while criticizing companies that he has a personal beef. That is picking winners and losers, or at least an attempt. For a President of the United States to use his position like that is a disgrace to the office.

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
. . . the post office is not tax payer funded. it is self funded. . . .
American taxpayers recently gave an $18 billion gift to the post office. The United States Postal Service's financial troubles have been well publicized in recent years. The worst of it came in 2012, when the USPS lost a whopping $15.9 billion dollars, followed by $4.8 billion and $5.3 billion in 2013 and 2014, respectively.

These Bernie supporters simply cannot be taught. Ignorance is curable with information - stupidity? Not so much. :)hand:)hand:)hand

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ignorance and lack of common sense some of you folks show is amazing. The Postal Service was not established to make a profit it was established to provide a service.

Since you are apparently incapable of knowing our history, perhaps this will help.

In 1781, Congress ratified the Articles of Confederation. Article IX addressed postal issues:
The United States in Congress assembled shall also have the sole and exclusive right and power of … establishing or regulating post offices from one State to another, throughout all the United States, and exacting such postage on the papers passing through the same as may be requisite to defray the expenses of the said office.

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
It should be self sustaining. Period!!!

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It should be self sustaining. Period!!!
Perhaps it should be, but that isn't what the topic has been about and what many replies addressed.
Some on here have been so arrogant as to accuse liberals, progressives or Democrats as being retarded and stupid, when in fact it has been those certain ones who didn't know what they were talking about. They are the ones who make those same claims almost daily out of ignorance, or worse.

Perhaps the highways, parks, waterways and dredging, navigation, homeland security and many other services should be also self sustaining. But, for the most part I disagree. Without common funding, we all would lose something.
There have been numerous discussions about how to reduce the Postal Service costs, such as doing away with Saturday mail and it has been overwhelmingly turned down by the public. The postal Service provides a service that nothing else can replace. When you make a payment, it is legally considered payed when it is deposited with the Post Office (Post Marked) in most cases. Only with the Postal Service can that happen. It's an important service, even though it is being used less for regular mailed letters, so it must adapt to change. If it is providing a service to Amazon or Fedex, so be it.

Is there anyone on here who doesn't use Amazon or Fedex? I do. Even if the Postal Service didn't make money on them and we subsidized the Post Office, didn't we benefit from the service?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Bottom Line is why if they are losing Money why would they give discounts.....Seems like they are digging their own hole

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bottom Line is why if they are losing Money why would they give discounts.....Seems like they are digging their own hole
The previous negative responses are pretty much what you'd expect from idiots, but yours is a valid question. I don't know that money is being lost on providing service to the various businesses, but if it was, then it should be adjusted. IMO

The Postal Service was never intended to make money, much like many other government services, and with the Post Office times have changed. The intent of the Post Office was to deliver mail, something we all use, but the mail as we know it has changed and been reduced. The Postal Service is still required to make the routs, and if they can deliver something in place of letters it can subsidize the cost of the carriers. It would be like, if you were to personally deliver one of your products to a customer and someone came in the door and said, Dan, can you take my package too, how much more would it cost you to deliver it also? Whatever you charged would be to your benefit, as it would probably cost you virtually nothing extra.

I don't know the details or the arrangements, so I don't know whether it was a good deal or not. Because it is a fairly new service, I assume they will make adjustments accordingly to make it work.

The Topic about Amazon and the Post Office came up because Amazon and/or it's other companies criticize Trump, and it is Trumps way of attacking and trying to hurt someone or something. It's something he does almost daily.
I doubt that anyone on this site knows the particulars of the Postal Service and Amazon or Fedex or any number of other companies, and are just being their usual idiot selves. But, most of us have received items using that service, so we did benefit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts