Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm looking for a little help with regards to pump loading and the thought of installing an inducer impeller. I'm looking for suggestions on type of inducer, pros and cons of running the inducer, impeller size adjustment to off set the negitives of inducer if any etc., where to place the pressure taps on the suction piece and why. Here's the run down on my boat- 18' Advantage w/ Rodgers v-bottom hull ( super cyclone as I understand it). The intake, grate, shoe, and ride plate was custom made for the hull/pump/ motor combo by Jack @ MPD. I'm currently running an Aggressor 'R' pump with a bronze 'B' impeller. I feel this set up works very well.( I'm happy with it anyway) Pump is stock from Aggressor. Before installing the pump and intake adapter I did grind the casting flash off inside of intake and suction piece and blend the transition from the intake into the suction piece of the pump to help with the transition and open the intake volume area slightly. All parts were then powder coated and installed. I also fab'd an intake strut brace that attaches to the intake at the grate bolts and stringer rails. When pump and motor were new 5 years ago I only had cavitation off idle if I stabbed the loud pedal. If I was moving about 15mph I could wack it and it hooked and left hard. Not any more. Now I have to be at least on plane or it just max revs. Of course I don't just sit there and see what happens or I would probably be rebuilding the motor- again. The bbc motor dyno'd @ 673hp @ 5700 rpm with 655 lb/ft @ 4200 rpm down to 620 lb/ft @ 5700 rpm all on 91 pump gas after the rebuild 3 years ago. The gps speed has been 94 mph up river and 96 down. This seems pretty accurate as the couple of people i've run have said their boats run in that same range. I'm looking to cure my low speed cavitation sitiuation and hole shot w/o giving up any top speed if that's even feasable. I am planning on coming out to Elsinore in may to run in the river racer class since I've never raced before and have always dreamed of doing it. Thanks for any help you guys might offer. JJ (I'll have to reload pics tomorrow of the transom etc.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
The inducer is a great product I had one on my last boat installed by
Hi-tech

Just going off what you are saying that it was a problem that has now developed over time I would suggest looking at your wear ring clearances and see how the impeller looks (dings cavitation burns ect..)

Sounds like the pump just needs a freshen up;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
i agree with fonz that i would be sure i did not have a wear ring issue, that said i have installed many of the dps and the billett inducers with great success. i personally think that they are one of the better mods that you can do for your pump, achieving a good result with minimal expense compared to some other mods. i have used both but personally prefer the billet inducer, after the passing of don bowers i am not sure of the availibility of the dps inducers some on the boards here may chime in. i have found that after installing the inducer it increases the water flow of the pump and you will need to decrease the size of your impellor and possibly change the size of you exit bushing to compensate for the change. i think after the final tune that you will be plleased with a much stronger take off and a higer top end.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
An an inducer will help your holeshot problems but what you really need is some pump work IMO. Have the pump blueprinted and you should be able to mash the gas and the thing should bite hard when you mash it. If a drag boat with 1200 HP plus can leave the line from a dead stop getting your 673 HP hooked up should be a walk in the park. Personally, I would have the impeller and bowl blueprinted and clearances set then look into an inducer but thats just my .02.

Good luck with it, Ive seen your boat before its bad ass.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I was making over 1000HP with my blown 540 in a 21' Daytona that Duane from Hi-tech setup and I could leave the hole from a dead stop like madd!!

I was running a inducer in that pump also.

I am sure Hi-tech can get you the inducer last I knew he still stocked them.

P.S. the 1000+HP claim is based on dyno numbers and not a guess:)devil

·
Registered
436 Posts
I was making over 1000HP with my blown 540 in a 21' Daytona that Duane from Hi-tech setup and I could leave the hole from a dead stop like madd!!

I was running a inducer in that pump also.

I am sure Hi-tech can get you the inducer last I knew he still stocked them.

P.S. the 1000+HP claim is based on dyno numbers and not a guess:)devil
That boat still leaves hard with 600 hp, took 4 shims out of the the shoe to adjust to my little motor. The inducer and impellar are still perfect, I have the pump disassembeled reinstalled the intake and polished the suction housing and bowl.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Hey Jason, whats up.

Hey Dave, If you ever get tired of that Daytona let me know I might be in the market next summer again:)bulb

You said you pulled the intake???

That was set in there by Capps and should be dead on.

What did you get for top speed so far?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey Dave, If you ever get tired of that Daytona let me know I might be in the market next summer again:)bulb

You said you pulled the intake???

That was set in there by Capps and should be dead on.

What did you get for top speed so far?
Upper 70s this fall, should get 80 out of it with the same engine, alos building a 572 wich may
be ready in July. I'll PM you on the rest.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An an inducer will help your holeshot problems but what you really need is some pump work IMO. Have the pump blueprinted and you should be able to mash the gas and the thing should bite hard when you mash it. If a drag boat with 1200 HP plus can leave the line from a dead stop getting your 673 HP hooked up should be a walk in the park. Personally, I would have the impeller and bowl blueprinted and clearances set then look into an inducer but thats just my .02.

Good luck with it, Ive seen your boat before its bad ass.
Thanks cs19 for the response and compliments regarding my boat. I will call Jack next week. Do you know other guys running this type of hull you could suggest I might talk to with regards to my questions? Can you recall any previous threads I could search to learn more about my quest? And lastly, could you recommend any other forums I might search for help. Thanks for your help. I ask you because I know you are very knowledgeful and involved in this sport.

JJ

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The inducer is a great product I had one on my last boat installed by
Hi-tech

Just going off what you are saying that it was a problem that has now developed over time I would suggest looking at your wear ring clearances and see how the impeller looks (dings cavitation burns ect..)

Sounds like the pump just needs a freshen up;)
Thanks Fonz,
I have the pump out of the boat and will be replacing the wearing and resetting up the tolerances. Do you happen to know if anyone still makes the wear rings with a nylon shoulder? My uncle put one in my eliminator daycruiser back in the mid 80's and that worked really well but I haven't noticed them around anymore. The impeller is clear of dings but may have some cavitation discoloration/burning on it. I added some pictures to my post, does it look burned to you or just a little tanned?lol Thanks for you recommendations and responses.

JJ

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
changes

i agree with fonz that i would be sure i did not have a wear ring issue, that said i have installed many of the dps and the billett inducers with great success. i personally think that they are one of the better mods that you can do for your pump, achieving a good result with minimal expense compared to some other mods. i have used both but personally prefer the billet inducer, after the passing of don bowers i am not sure of the availibility of the dps inducers some on the boards here may chime in. i have found that after installing the inducer it increases the water flow of the pump and you will need to decrease the size of your impellor and possibly change the size of you exit bushing to compensate for the change. i think after the final tune that you will be plleased with a much stronger take off and a higer top end.
Hi johnray069,
Thanks for the tips. What type of hulls have you run them on? Do you monitor the loading pressures on your boat? How much would you recommend cutting the impeller, b- or more? The billet inducer you ran, was it in stock form or did you have it modified before or after running it? Are their different sizes of impellers or pitches ( as in props) or is it a one size fits all type thing? Are there general rules of thumb with this stuff or is it all very application specific? Do you have a shop in the L.A./O.C area? Can I pm you with more specific questions to my quest?

Thanks,
JJ

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Thanks Fonz,
I have the pump out of the boat and will be replacing the wearing and resetting up the tolerances. Do you happen to know if anyone still makes the wear rings with a nylon shoulder? My uncle put one in my eliminator daycruiser back in the mid 80's and that worked really well but I haven't noticed them around anymore. The impeller is clear of dings but may have some cavitation discoloration/burning on it. I added some pictures to my post, does it look burned to you or just a little tanned?lol Thanks for you recommendations and responses.

JJ

Check your PM messages I sent you one;)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
saw suze and nate saturday, maiden voyage went good dude. you gonna have the semi charmed ride done in 2 weeks?

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
1200 HP plus can leave the line from a dead stop

Seriously? I thought you had to use a launch control to do that?
Some use an LC, some dont.. Its just a series of rev limiters and that whole launch control event happens in less than one second, the rest of the run is up to your jet-drive, also alot of guys use the LC to help the boat take a clean set rather than to help with the pump cavitation.... The LC is not the solution to having a 1200 HP jetboat that pulls hard :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
saw suze and nate saturday, maiden voyage went good dude. you gonna have the semi charmed ride done in 2 weeks?

Hey sandy eggo heard the boat ran great and looks kool and everybody likes it.:)devil I'll be out there next week, boatless, installing the new entry gate and fencing. Probably be there through the following weekend too if your going to be back out then. Looking forward to seeing your toy. I'm working on making the race at elsinore at end of May:D so the s.c.r. won't be back out there until after that. I'll try to let you know if I'm going to make or not I have alot to do between now and then both on the boat and with work.

Be well,
Warren

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
weekend after this coming weekend is our next trip. hopefully we will see ya out there. let me know if you need any help on the fence, ive welded up 1 or 2 in my day haha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts