Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have heard mixed stories about running an inducer. I have been running a HCM inducer in my boat for about 4 years now. I made a ton of hardware changes when I put out in so really don't have any performance testing to know what improvement, if any, out had. I just got my bowl and impeller detailed by B1, excellent work. Now, I've heard guys swear by it and say it improves hole shot and doesn't hurt top end and I've also heard it hurts top end. Does anyone have real world experience of running with and then without it? Oh the track?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ok, I have heard mixed stories about running an inducer. I have been running a HCM inducer in my boat for about 4 years now. I made a ton of hardware changes when I put out in so really don't have any performance testing to know what improvement, if any, out had. I just got my bowl and impeller detailed by B1, excellent work. Now, I've heard guys swear by it and say it improves hole shot and doesn't hurt top end and I've also heard it hurts top end. Does anyone have real world experience of running with and then without it? Oh the track?

I've herd of people picking up a tenth or so on the track. But i would say it only going to help. I didn't see a loss of top speed, it felt like it pulled harder from A to B. :))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, you run one and gained ET with it?

I'm not a racer, yet. Just a slow turd here. Hoping to spin this detailed BC to 6k. I'm not here to be like these guys who post and only listen to what I want to hear. I legitimately want to learn. Chris recommended I run one as my next money well spent investment. I already have the best inducer design from my understanding. Just asking because, have been told by other guys that they don't work and hurt top end.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Inducer

So, you run one and gained ET with it?

I'm not a racer, yet. Just a slow turd here. Hoping to spin this detailed BC to 6k. I'm not here to be like these guys who post and only listen to what I want to hear. I legitimately want to learn. Chris recommended I run one as my next money well spent investment. I already have the best inducer design from my understanding. Just asking because, have been told by other guys that they don't work and hurt top end.

Don's pump service made the one we first ran. Ran the boat without on the first pass came back and installed the inducer 2/10ths better to half track no loss of speed on the top end. The HM became available same test was made DP verse's the HM the HM proved to be another 1/10th better to half track no loss in speed. So if you install an HM inducer from the get go you are 3/10ths better to half track. You would have to spend some money on a engine to improve 3/10ths to half track. The inducer is the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greg, thank you for your response. I will continue running the HM inducer.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, an inducer is a small impeller located in front of the main impeller designed to load the main impeller. Basic explanation, I guess

·
Registered
950 Posts
Not saying who I got it from but I swapped out an hcm for another inducer that hasn't hit the market yet and I picked up 1 tenth and gained 2 mph from a back to back run.

Hcm is is the best inducer in the market right now IMO.

I have not seen any hurt from an inducer. I think there is a reason you see certain parts on the fastest boats in the country. If they'd hurt et, I'm pretty sure no one would be running them.

·
"BEER BUDGET RACING"
3,621 Posts
Don's pump service made the one we first ran. Ran the boat without on the first pass came back and installed the inducer 2/10ths better to half track no loss of speed on the top end. The HM became available same test was made DP verse's the HM the HM proved to be another 1/10th better to half track no loss in speed. So if you install an HM inducer from the get go you are 3/10ths better to half track. You would have to spend some money on a engine to improve 3/10ths to half track. The inducer is the best bang for the buck.
dang, thats solid numbers:))THumbsUp

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
HCM ? Henry Morris ?

Yes Jack, Henry Morris

I've been running HCM for a few years and never tried anything else. I bought a DPS when I had the pump built for the winger and was told to take it back where ever I got it. Been running a HCM ever since.

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
More hp will need inducer

Willis, I have a 77 Tahiti Super Tiger Bubble Jet.

18' with a 460 Ford, Berkeley Jet.
April 9, 2014

Hello People,

I have a lake boat and for many years did not need an inducer. The hole shot was great and the top end speed was fine until I put some power in there!
The boat felt like it was spinning the impeller too fast and was not loading.

I don’t think I need to spend the cash on my lake boat. I just take off with less throttle.
If you feel like the boat is standing still when you hit it, you may need to tighten up the pump clearances, “blue printed”. :)Unsure

After you fix the pump, be sure not to gun the engine near the sandy shore when you beach it, the jet will suck up the sand and there goes your blue print.

Willis

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I installed Henry's inducer about 4 years ago.Never ran any inducer before.:shock:
Picked up maybe a tenth running 2 different motor.MPH is still a question.Wish it was 3 tenths.:))THumbsUp

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After you fix the pump, be sure not to gun the engine near the sandy shore when you beach it, the jet will suck up the sand and there goes your blue print.

Willis
Oh man, I've been doing it wrong the whole time. I just throw it in reverse and back off the beach. 😀

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Push the Boat Backwards

Oh man, I've been doing it wrong the whole time. I just throw it in reverse and back off the beach.
:yikes:

April 9, 2014

Hello People,

I have used this pump in three boats over the years. MPD did the pump back in the seventies with a stainless steel B legend impeller. Every year when checked after a lot of outings, Jack says the pump is fine.

I never back off the sand, I push the boat backwards and keep going backwards until I think the depth is more than twenty feet.

Willis

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,075 Posts
Yes Jack, Henry Morris

I've been running HCM for a few years and never tried anything else. I bought a DPS when I had the pump built for the winger and was told to take it back where ever I got it. Been running a HCM ever since.
Mike, thanks. Jack Weller is doing my pump and Henry was at his house when I dropped it off. He was picking up Jacks old race boat, the Green Machine. I have known Henry for probably 10 or 12 years. Jack beat Henry out of an inducer for me while we were standing there in the driveway. Lucky me, huh ? Lots of upgrades this winter, who knows what is gonna happen. Maybe lose 4 mph ?

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Yes Jack, Henry Morris

Mike, thanks. Jack Weller is doing my pump and Henry was at his house when I dropped it off. He was picking up Jacks old race boat, the Green Machine. I have known Henry for probably 10 or 12 years. Jack beat Henry out of an inducer for me while we were standing there in the driveway. Lucky me, huh ? Lots of upgrades this winter, who knows what is gonna happen. Maybe lose 4 mph ?

She outta run 100;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts