Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
SNOPES - It's The biggest Urban Legend of them all

You just pissed off a certain segment of this forum....wait for the negative feedback.

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
Did you check Snopes if this is true?

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
Who believes that crap anyway? :)st

·
skiing Parker since 1960
645 Posts
Just thought you might like to know who "snopes" is. And before anybody ask's, NO I DID NOT "Snopes" this article :D I found it in readers digest. The entire article can be found here :
http://www.rd.com/your-america-insp...-true-story-or-online-hoax/article122216.html

Images from this article From Comstock.comTrue fact or urban legend? Snopes.com gets to the bottom of it.javascript:void(0);
Also in this article:
•Quiz: Can You Spot a Hoax?
A few years ago, a woman and her husband were coming home from a ski trip in British Columbia when they spotted a disabled car on the side of the road. It was raining and the driver looked distressed, so they stopped and helped him fix his flat tire. The man was extremely grateful but didn't have any cash to reward them, so he took down their personal information. A week later, the couple got a call from their bank saying their mortgage had been paid and $10,000 had been deposited into their account by an appreciative Bill Gates.

"Ah, the grateful millionaire," Barbara Mikkelson says with a satisfied grin. "It started with Henry Ford. Then it was Nat King Cole. Then Donald Trump. We even have a version Oscar Wilde wrote back in the 1890s."

With her bemused tone and a habit of peering over her spectacles, Mikkelson has the air of a night-shift detective who has seen it all-and in a way, she has. Barbara, 49, and her husband, David, 48, run Snopes.com, the Internet's preeminent resource for verifying and debunking rumors, ridiculous claims, and those e-mail chain letters your sister-in-law can't stop forwarding. Whether it's an urban legend like the Gates story, an overblown warning about the latest computer virus, or that bizarre photo circulating of "Hercules, the world's biggest dog," chances are Snopes.com has checked it out and rated it as "true," "false," or "undetermined."
From Comstock.com
True fact or urban legend? Snopes.com gets to the bottom of it.What began in 1995 as a hobby for a pair of amateur folklorists has grown into one of the Internet's most trusted authorities—and a full-time profession for the Mikkelsons. Each month, 6.2 million people visit Snopes, according to Quantcast, which tracks Internet traffic. The New York Times recently put Snopes on its short list of essentials that every computer user must know about. President Barack Obama's campaign launched a copycat version last fall to battle rumors of its own (for the record, Michelle Obama didn't gorge on room-service caviar and lobster at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel). And even the word Snopes, a name David borrowed from a family in a William Faulkner novel, has gone viral—as in, "Why didn't you Snopes that junk before forwarding it to your entire e-mail list?" Richard Roeper, the movie critic who sidelines as an author of myth-busting books like Debunked!, says, "Snopes is like having your own army of fact-checkers sniffing out a million wacko leads."

An army of two, that is. Snopes's world headquarters is actually just Barbara and David sitting around their modest double-wide on a shady hillside outside Los Angeles. Their two home offices are stacked to the ceiling with their trusty research tools: dictionaries, almanacs, VHS tapes, Disneyana, encyclopedias, atlases, and hundreds of books like UFO's: A Scientific Debate and Organ Theft Legends. Oh, and there are cats: Buster, Sterling, Irene, Ashes, and Memphis. "David and I work at opposite ends of the house," Barbara says, flinging a cat's crinkle toy. "I once attempted to send him a note by sticking a Post-it on the side of one of the cats."

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
I've heard the couple is located in CA, Fl, and some other state.:confused:

I seriously doubt 2 people can do that much research and be as on top of current rumors/news as the site appears to be......All part of the mystique I suppose.:)Unsure

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
I've heard the couple is located in CA, Fl, and some other state.:confused:

I seriously doubt 2 people can do that much research and be as on top of current rumors/news as the site appears to be......All part of the mystique I suppose.:)Unsure
Snopes it and see if it's true!! hil:)

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
Snopes and factcheck are left wing so by definition they cannot tell the truth right?

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
Snopes and factcheck are left wing so by definition they cannot tell the truth right?
Partially true.:|err

They tell the truth only if it doesn't affect their cause. :)bulb

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Something you three all have in comon I see.

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts