Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Southwind T-Deck Jet, 18' 6" and don't recall ever seeing one before. Does anyone have any info and specs on this hull? Would be nice to know the weight, how good they run, how well they turn, how much power to get to a decent speed, bottom design, etc.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's some pics of it

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be my winter project this year. Will be completely stripping it, doing some bottom work, flowcoat the floors, new Pump, new motor, new interior, and new paint. Will be like brand new when I'm done with it by spring time. Gotta have something to do when I have 4' of snow out my front door;):)hand:)hand

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
go southwind=looks like one that was for sale here in sacramento=nice
It was. I picked it up in Roseville. Parents are going to be bringing it up to me next week when they head up north for a visit. It was a hell of a price on it and I couldn't pass it up. Since my parents were already planning on a trip up here it was worth it to me because I didn't have to pay for shipping

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ideally, I'd like to get another Syndicate T-Deck like the Orange one in my Avatar (Next to the Biesemeyer in the pic) but I haven't been able to find one so this will have to do. I never should have sold the Syndicate (or the Biesemeyer);):D

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
The formula 1 (T deck) has the same bottom as the 18. The deck was retooled for the t deck for a circle boat. There was one that we built for the Kjet class with a huge alky motor that ran a few times and then the class dissolved. that was always one of my favorites. Lakes only has a real nice one built by the new owner out of nor cal.( ha, i keep saying new owner, but this guy has owned it for almost 25 years now) I drove his boat and really enjoyed it. His has 1x4 full length stringers and balsa floor. I say it weighs in the 400-500 # range. the standard ones wernt full stringer boats, but there were some made along with the 18.

The southwind bottom is actually a 20' esquire (sp) cut down. Jack at mpd has that whole story about "southwinds" and how they came about in the mid to late 60's before my grandpa bought it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The formula 1 (T deck) has the same bottom as the 18. The deck was retooled for the t deck for a circle boat. There was one that we built for the Kjet class with a huge alky motor that ran a few times and then the class dissolved. that was always one of my favorites. Lakes only has a real nice one built by the new owner out of nor cal.( ha, i keep saying new owner, but this guy has owned it for almost 25 years now) I drove his boat and really enjoyed it. His has 1x4 full length stringers and balsa floor. I say it weighs in the 400-500 # range. the standard ones wernt full stringer boats, but there were some made along with the 18.

The southwind bottom is actually a 20' esquire (sp) cut down. Jack at mpd has that whole story about "southwinds" and how they came about in the mid to late 60's before my grandpa bought it.
Excellent info!! Thanks!!
I love turning left, so was actually looking for a good turning Jet. Maybe this could be the one? I have 4 others right now that just didn't do it for me so I got this one and will try it again. 400-500 pounds sounds decent. I think I can deal with that.
How do these hulls run? Do I need to do a pump setback? I am going to be building a new full race pump and a mild motor for it this winter. Looking for a good turning boat that will run in the mid 80's to low 90's (Hopefully). I'm hoping I can get it there with 650-700 hp. 25 years huh? Hmmm...This guy that I got it from recently got the boat....said previous owner owned it for 25 years....

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I love turning left, so was actually looking for a good turning Jet. Maybe this could be the one? I have 4 others right now that just didn't do it for me so I got this one and will try it again. 400-500 pounds sounds decent. I think I can deal with that.
How do these hulls run? Do I need to do a pump setback? I am going to be building a new full race pump and a mild motor for it this winter. Looking for a good turning boat that will run in the mid 80's to low 90's (Hopefully). I'm hoping I can get it there with 650-700 hp. 25 years huh? Hmmm...This guy that I got it from recently got the boat....said previous owner owned it for 25 years....
lakes only's weighs about that, not yours. Yours would be heavier i would believe. I wouldnt do a set back or a bottom B/P unless you want handeling issues. thats just my opinion. Im not saying they turn great, this was just an average ski boat, not made for all out racing. I was just telling why the t deck came about. The circle boat that we built had alot of bottom work and it was made as a race boat from the get. not saying it wont do you right,just saying it is just a ski boat. One of these days i will get all my grandpas and dads slides put to discs. There are some awesome pictures in there from the old days.

·
southwindsforsure
645 Posts
my friend and i went to look at this boat a couple months ago when the motor was in it=its was a decent price then but not what he was looking for-good fine and good luck with build=nothing better than another southwind on the water

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Those sats look like they sould be in a v drive. I have never seen that seating configurtion in a jet. The 18 bottoms porpose at speed. LO may be able to help point you in the right direction in that area. They are fun boats but nothing worth throwing big power at.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Nice boat Jimmy. FWIW, that bottom is identical to mine. Not a real good turner but anything is possible.

Take care..........john

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You thinking about becoming a fire fighter now, what happened to the vdrive......( . )( . )................

I have a v-drive and am looking for more.....;) Still searching for the right deal on THE V-drive that I'll keep. Wish I never sold my Biesemeyer:mad:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Nice boat Jimmy. FWIW, that bottom is identical to mine. Not a real good turner but anything is possible.

Take care..........john
Thanks John. How's the Lungs doing? Heard you got a touch of Pneumonia there. Take care of yourself!

This boat should get me through the Winter months I hope. We get alot more snow here on the East Side of the State than what you get over there so I need something to help maintain my sanity during the winter. Looks like I won't be keeping it now though but ya never know. Still looking for the Right Jet and V-Drive Boats

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Here is a syndicate for you,,,,,,, To look at!:)hand

Man, i'd give my left nut for that boat!! VERY Nice!! I love the Syndicates. My Avatar has the 2 boats that I had that I should have NEVER sold. A Syndicate T Deck Tunnel Jet and a Biesemeyer Std Deck V-Drive. That is my goal again now....To get another Syndicate and Biesemeyer. Once I get those, I will never again buy or sell another boat....... And of course, if you want to sell the Syndicate or trade, I have 3 or 4 boats I'd give ya for it;)

The Syndicate I had would run in the 80's with 500 hp, which says alot! And it was probably the safest "feeling" boat that I have ever owned. Jimmy LaRicca sure knows how to build them! I saw where he posted on this forum a while back that he was going to start building them again but never heard or saw what became of it. I'd love to get a NEW Syndicate! Wish I could remember who I sold those 2 boats in my avatar to...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Man, i'd give my left nut for that boat!! VERY Nice!! I love the Syndicates. My Avatar has the 2 boats that I had that I should have NEVER sold. A Syndicate T Deck Tunnel Jet and a Biesemeyer Std Deck V-Drive. That is my goal again now....To get another Syndicate and Biesemeyer. Once I get those, I will never again buy or sell another boat....... And of course, if you want to sell the Syndicate or trade, I have 3 or 4 boats I'd give ya for it;)

The Syndicate I had would run in the 80's with 500 hp, which says alot! And it was probably the safest "feeling" boat that I have ever owned. Jimmy LaRicca sure knows how to build them! I saw where he posted on this forum a while back that he was going to start building them again but never heard or saw what became of it. I'd love to get a NEW Syndicate! Wish I could remember who I sold those 2 boats in my avatar to...
This one run's mids 80's, the hull bare is only 360lbs and it handles like a dream at speed and on shut down! I had been wanting this boat for over 20 yrs, and he finelly decied to sell it, but he sold it to someone else, who inturn had it for awhile and did nothing with it and jimmy ended up getting it back, So when he told me he had it back I was all over it, It was in pretty bad shape when I got it, but I redid the whole thing,which took some time but it came out great, love the boat! Jimmy is a friend of mine I have known him for about 25 yrs or so! good guy I know he is building some cracker boxes, not sure if he is going to build anymore t decks! If I ever decided to sell it I will let you know! or if I here of one around!, I also will talk to him and find out if he is interested in building anymore Tdecks!:)hand

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
I'm doing better Jimmy. Hell of a weightloss program though. Did you hear that they got a Compjet class sanctioned for the race last month in Issaquah but couldnt muster the necessary number of boats. Hope folks stick with it. I'd like to watch them again.

You can have all the snow...... I'm living in the banana belt of Washington and we dont need any. Messes up our Margaritas.

Thanks John. How's the Lungs doing? Heard you got a touch of Pneumonia there. Take care of yourself!

This boat should get me through the Winter months I hope. We get alot more snow here on the East Side of the State than what you get over there so I need something to help maintain my sanity during the winter. Looks like I won't be keeping it now though but ya never know. Still looking for the Right Jet and V-Drive Boats

1 - 19 of 19 Posts