Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any power to be had or lost between a hat injector(bug catcher) compared to the older style 4 hole vertical hilborn I just picked up a 6-71 littlefield and want to go injected alcohol on a 336ci sbc

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
I would stick with the hat.

·
Members only
4,518 Posts
to keep the air speed up for the small cubic inch or is the hat just a better design I have he 4 hole already
The 4 hole upright is a pretty friendly set up from what I have seen. If you make sure it is set up for you application, it should work well. The Enderle's tend to be a little more touchy. Besides a Bug catcher is for lawn mowers... You must of ment a Bird? Buzzard is better...:hmmm:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have an old 4 port upright that I ran for a long time and can say that it can be set up to run good and be user friendly. The only reason that I took it off was everyone couldn't start the motor when I wanted to ski. I never even primed it to start. About the time that the oil pressure came up it had fuel. I did make a water pump that was mounted low in the boat and the fuel pump was on the back of it on the other side of the motor plate. You can't beat the throttle response ! :) I am going to put them back on since I don't ski any more . :-(

GD

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 4 hole upright is a pretty friendly set up from what I have seen. If you make sure it is set up for you application, it should work well. The Enderle's tend to be a little more touchy. Besides a Bug catcher is for lawn mowers... You must of ment a Bird? Buzzard is better...:hmmm:

I meant bug its only 336ci

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
is that due to having the injector in the throttle bore instead of the open plenum?
Yep, and the fact that the blades are smaller. Some hats like the Crower and Hilborn 4 hole have better control than the Enderle type hats as well.

Between the size of the blade, and the lack of surrounding bore, it doesn't take much blade movement with a big and ugly to match the flow of a bug wide open.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, and the fact that the blades are smaller. Some hats like the Crower and Hilborn 4 hole have better control than the Enderle type hats as well.

Between the size of the blade, and the lack of surrounding bore, it doesn't take much blade movement with a big and ugly to match the flow of a bug wide open.
right on same kind of theory I had going in my head thanks for the insight now I just have to find a junk hood to cut a hole in for the scoop to peek out of

·
Members only
4,518 Posts

Ummmm..... actually I must disagree with you Bobby... This is not a carburator and we don't care about air signals to the horns... What I have seen is more due to barrel valve style, location of the bypass poppets and fuel pump size in relation to usage. Andy's set up worked like a charm right from Hillborn with their "shelf" tune. For a throw on deal the 4 hole hillborn is simple and works. For making lots of power the fuel distribution on that set up is similar to your idea of a rock and a hole. However... its a pretty good set up.:)

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Ummmm..... actually I must disagree with you Bobby... This is not a carburator and we don't care about air signals to the horns... What I have seen is more due to barrel valve style, location of the bypass poppets and fuel pump size in relation to usage. Andy's set up worked like a charm right from Hillborn with their "shelf" tune. For a throw on deal the 4 hole hillborn is simple and works. For making lots of power the fuel distribution on that set up is similar to your idea of a rock and a hole. However... its a pretty good set up.:)
I was not talking fuel control. Throttle control!!! Like in not needing some nautilus snail cam to doctor the throttle input from the right foot. Specially if you're an old worn out diaper wearing geriatric

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Bug catcher is for a lawn mower. Tell Duff Daily that

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Bug catcher no good,,,, tell Duff Daily that one

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
I have an old 4 port upright that I ran for a long time and can say that it can be set up to run good and be user friendly. The only reason that I took it off was everyone couldn't start the motor when I wanted to ski. I never even primed it to start. About the time that the oil pressure came up it had fuel. I did make a water pump that was mounted low in the boat and the fuel pump was on the back of it on the other side of the motor plate. You can't beat the throttle response ! :) I am going to put them back on since I don't ski any more . :-(

GD
Gary's 4-port looked and worked bitchin'. He ran it on a blown 429 Ford in a black Sanger bubble deck. I think he's gonna put it on a different Boss 429 motor he's been talking about putting in the boat for what now.....30 yrs! Think he's actually gonna do it now and cannot wait to see it run.
gary, post up a pic if you have one. Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts