Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rebuilt engine that is about to be installed in a jet boat. The boat has not run in about 10 years. I am not to familiar with berkeley jets, what should I look at, inspect, or service while the motor is out?

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
The most likely "victim" of this long layup would/could be the front thrust bearing. If it (the bearing) was protected from the elements It may be OK if not its worth the effort to simply "freshen" the jet (bearings seals, gaskets .oruings and packings . This is relatively simple and we will happily coach you thru it, Also check the gear oil lube in the rear (bowl area) call if we can help Tom

·
Jet boat service
119 Posts
While the engine is out I would check the thrust bearing by spinning the shaft. You don't want any noise or roughness when you spin the shaft. I would crawl under the boat and look up the intake to see how the impeller looks. Check the tail bearing oil resivoir by pulling both plugs and filling one side with hypoid 90 until it comes out the other side, then your full. I would also bag the end of the jet at the thrust bearing to keep out moisture until you are ready for the motor. When you install the motor top off the bearing grease. Good luck. Jim ;)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I would take toms advice and replace all your seals and wear rings.. I pulled mine this winter. Sent the impeller and shaft in. He had them all turned and fit with the correct collar and back to me pretty darn quick and at a descent price as well. Well worth the money for the kit and the work.

Something to think about if your motor is out.

·
Registered
511 Posts
good advice from the others, but i think the only way to be SURE of the condition is to disassemble the pump for a through inspection. the wear ring clearances from side to side cannot be seen or measured easily without removing the impellor. the rear on the impellor cannot be seen with out removing the bowl. i have seen the rear blades broken out and the pump rotate easily and smoothly. probably not what you want to hear but you are half way there with the motor out to do a good inspection or light rebuild freshening as tom suggested. imo if it sat for 10 years and an unknown condition i would find it prudent to take it apart.

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
Hey Tom, Do you ever sleep. You beat me to it again!! Jim :D:D:D
Ha Ha Jim ya would have to think that with two jobs and 12 hr days huh !

Record 7, cant tell you how many times a guy will buy a "project boat" thats been setting for a time , "freshens the motor " then complains of Jet Pump problems , noise etc on the ,maiden voyage The time to do the jet is now IMO , pump kits are relatively inexpensive and "Tech help" plentiful Tom

PS Dont use a hammer and chisle to seperate the bowl from th suction ;) (J/K)
PSS I'm guessing by the Screen name you have one of those rather rare Boats made in Nor cal ? Congratulations it should make a nice project

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Change the front bearing...I wiped out a perfectly good impeller and beat my housing up pretty good because I "thought" my bearing was in good shape when I put the boat together after it sat for who knows how many years. Spend a couple hundred bucks and save yourself a lot more.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
Not to mention the possibility of engine damage due to a failed pump thrust bearing. A lot of great info here...definitely all for rebuilding the pump. You can get an overhaul kit including impeller for between $400-$500. Easy to do yourself with the proper tools and you'll gain piece of mind knowing that the pump is fresh. $400-$500 spent now is better than thousands spent later to repair the damage.

Turbo...I can't imagine the suck factor involved with breaking a loader. That's gotta be some shit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input guys:). Looks like I need to get a master overhaul kit, I guess if your going to do something might as well do it right. I also need to freshen up on some of the terminology stated in this thread (not sure what a loader is?):)sphss, maybe somebody could elaborate? Yeah the boat I've been working on is a Record7, haven't been able to find any information on it (Google, Etc.) All I know is that it was a company based in East Palo Alto. I think they only made these boats for a couple of years. I'll post some pics once I start to rebuild the jet. Thanks again for all the help :D.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
If it's just a lake cruiser and you're running a pretty close to stock motor and don't care much about top speed, the A impeller seems to be the most popular for that

A loader is a "ramp" of sorts that replaces the standard rock grate. At speeds over 65 or so the pump can run into high speed cavitation caused by the pump traveling through the water so fast. The original intent I believe was to keep the top area of the impeller from cavitating at high speed. Due to the amount of water basically "pulling" on the loader, they take a lot of stress and cause lots of havoc if they break loose cause they'll go right into the impeller.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I should verify what I size and type i have first and then go from there. :)bulb

YOu already answered your own question... Remember you can allways cut a impeller down but never add it back.. Just something to think about.

·
1,847 Posts
if it were me i would grease bearing , put oil in bowl, check for tight bolts undernieth ,check for cracks in loader.pull loader out check for slop by grabbing shaft. run the thing , see if it vibrates, slips or is just a dog. reinspect bowl fluid.regrease. then if no problems run it untill fall & freshen up if needed & then you will get an idea if you want more rpm .thats because it summer & hot here finally, i don't want to miss any boating .

·
Registered
329 Posts
if it were me i would grease bearing , put oil in bowl, check for tight bolts undernieth ,check for cracks in loader.pull loader out check for slop by grabbing shaft. run the thing , see if it vibrates, slips or is just a dog. reinspect bowl fluid.regrease. then if no problems run it untill fall & freshen up if needed & then you will get an idea if you want more rpm .thats because it summer & hot here finally, i don't want to miss any boating .
why would you do that ???? If there is a prob. you would never know untill its to late,more money IMHO. Check it out and save your self a ton of $$$$. Take it down worst you will spend on a tare down is gaskets and seals,cheep. Peace of mind priceless :)devil:)devil:)devil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The guy I bought the boat from said it did about 80mph :)grn (could have been a used car salesman for all I know) but it had sat outside for awhile and collected water through the intake and carb. Needless to say, when engine was torn apart, there was some pitting in a couple of the cylinders which had to be bored out. There was a high performance cam and intake (Victor Jr) on the engine as well as a 850 double pump holley, but during the rebuild I decided to go with something mild that would be a "good" runner and reliable. The cam lift is .270 (intake and exhaust) and valve lift is .459 (intake and exhaust). The duration at .050 is 204 intake and 208 exhaust. The boat is mainly going to be used on the Delta. I would like to say going to lost isle for the famous mai tai's but that has been closed down this year:mad:. Looks like I will have to settle for ski beach or windmill cove.:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.