Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am makin the jump from Olds to chevy in my boat. Now findin a built 454 for a boat is alot harder then findin a 454 built for a car. I just picked up Newly machined & Asembled lower end 454 bored 30 over for a camaro project that never finished. the heads never bolted up and the pan is off. What do I need to do to make this work or can i just stick it in with the tolerances for a car. I plan on takin a few rod caps off to check with plastic guage and pull the same pistons etc to inspect that as well just for mind sake. My 6 hr old Olds was built to tight or I starved it for oil? and dont want to repeat that on the 454 chevy.

lookin for input..
Be gentle..
Casey

·
SLOW MEMBER
470 Posts
Its pretty common for an olds to have oil pressure issues, especially in an application such as a boat that can run a steady high rpm for periods of time. There are mods you can do to help this.

I would set up the engine similar to what you would do in a car, but spend more money on the oiling system. A marine pan is a good idea, I think the Mildon pan for bbc holds 10 quarts of oil. This will help insure that the engine does not starve for oil. I know alot of guys run less duration cams in boats, to help with water not getting back into the engine after decellerating.

The last engine I put together for my boat had way better parts in it than my drag car engine did, and the car engine had good parts. I dont think you can be harder on an engine than to put it into a boat (if you run the boat hard)

Ryan

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
Opinions vary. I'll tell you my situation just for grins, though.

I took the engine out of my big 4x4, which had around 3, maybe 4 thousand miles on it & stuck it in my boat as a temporary measure so I could make a couple "gatherings" & hopefully finish out the season. That was summer of 2005 & I'm still running the "temporary" engine, lol.... I didn't build it for a jet boat, so it isn't fast or a hot rod by any means, but it has been super dependable. I don't baby it, but I don't run it foot to the floor everywhere either. The biggest thing that worries me I guess, is lack of oil capacity. I'd feel better about it if I had a bigger, jet boat style pan on it. People told me it wouldn't last, but here it is in its 3rd season & its still performing as well as the day I put it in there in '05. 5 quart front sump oil pan & all... :D

I dunno, maybe I'm just lucky..... I will build an engine more "jet boat appropriate" one of these days, but I wouldn't be scared to drop another "truck/car" engine back in it if I needed to...... :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey slowboy..I had a Olds..now puttin in a chevy in the boat but the motor was built for a car. Im wanderin do i need to worry about clearences on the motor for rods,mains and piston/rings to cylnd clearneces.

Or run the 454 car engine like it is no worries..Im a little gun shy after the OLDS Grenadin.

Casey

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Devilman. My buddies tellin me prob ok as well. If it was the olds might be diff story. I do plan on gettin a pan tho. at least a 8qt. Had 10qt on the olds..still sucked that dry at 5400 RPM across the lake.

Casey

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
thanks Devilman. My buddies tellin me prob ok as well. If it was the olds might be diff story. I do plan on gettin a pan tho. at least a 8qt. Had 10qt on the olds..still sucked that dry at 5400 RPM across the lake.

Casey
If it is a Gen 4 block, 2 piece rear seal, Rex Marine has a good deal on the B&B Marine 10 qt pan kit.

You need to pull the cam spec card if you are running wet exhaust and look at the lobe sep and duration of the cam to be sure you aren't going to have any reversion issues.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeh I will be takin the cam out and replacin with a jet boat Cam. I have headers for the boat.Its a 74 block so Ill be lookn at the pans at Rex then. thanks for the tip. So nothin on clearnce issues? Nothin to worry about on clearences..Just get a good capacity oil pan and proper cam with 110 lobe seperation basicly.

Casey

2,056 Posts
Putting a motor in that is clearanced for a car isn't the right way to do it, but that doesn't mean you can't get away with it.... For awhile.. And honestly some people get away with it for a long while.. but some don't ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
couldnt find the deal at Rex for the deal on the B&B Marine 10 qt pan kit. Looks like they only sell Dooley pans and the cheapest was 445$

maybe I missed it ..? Can you show me.
Casey

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
some kind of Monster. what can i do to fix that then and have it clearenced for a boat then so it will last? Nows the time! I have not installed it yet and its on the stand ,pan and heads are off.

Please advise.

Casey

2,056 Posts
some kind of Monster. what can i do to fix that then and have it clearenced for a boat then so it will last? Nows the time! I have not installed it yet and its on the stand ,pan and heads are off.

Please advise.

Casey
If I were you I would weigh my options here. Like Devilman said, he put a car motor in just to get him by. Is this going to be your permanent motor? Or is it temporary while you build one designed for a boat? Are there good parts in the motor that are more suited for a boat? I.E. Forged pistons, stainless valves, cam, steel crank, brass freeze plugs?

2,056 Posts
If you want to keep this motor in the boat permanently then considering your present stage in the build, I would definitely check the bearing clearances and open them up depending on what you find, and check the piston to cylinder clearance as well. Those are a couple of critical sizes in a jet boat because of the increased stress due to RPM, and the fact that a boat is cooling with cold lake water instead or pre-warmed radiator water.

·
Registered
268 Posts
go by your inlets, outlets, bellhousing and plate and stick the some beach in there

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Run the biggest pan you can fit under that engine, it is cheap insurance for the engine.

I put a 10 qt. Hamburger's pan on my BBC, I haven't had it in the water, yet. But, I'm not expecting any problems out of it. A buddy of mine has a 12 qt pan on his jet, sorry don't know what brand.

Here's some info about the B&B pans, straight from the birds mouth!:D
B&B Performance Oil Pans

Hope this helps.:)hand

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks SKOM... What exactly would one do to open up clearences?if to tight. Hone cylnders? Turn crank ?Just curious how easy and how exspensive?

This is the final motor for boat not building another one..
It has TRW forged Pop ups 10.5 to 1 ,cast crank,stock rods,open chamber heads,brass freeze plugs and I will get a cam and pan for a jet boat 8-10 qt.

Casey

2,056 Posts
thanks SKOM... What exactly would one do to open up clearences?if to tight. Hone cylnders? Turn crank ?Just curious how easy and how exspensive?

This is the final motor for boat not building another one..
It has TRW forged Pop ups 10.5 to 1 ,cast crank,stock rods,open chamber heads,brass freeze plugs and I will get a cam and pan for a jet boat 8-10 qt.

Casey
Sounds like you have a good base for a nice long lasting build. It's hard to tell what you need to do without having some numbers. You can buy undersized bearings, but check yours first. You might be ok. The cylinders can be honed out a couple thou more depending on where you are at now as well.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts