Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Yes, they can be repair. But, if you have to repair any major damage on one of them, then you have to take the same amount off the other on.

I made a template of how much I was going to take off the damaged one, then just transfered it to the other fin, then carefully trimmed it with a cut-off wheel, and rounded the edges back to how the rest of the fin is.

Good luck.

·
688 Posts
My son (BrendellaJet) and I are doing some re-powering on my old eliminator.
We pulled the pump and one of my fins had a substantial gouge. Jack at MPD welded it up and reshaped it. The cost wasn't all that bad either.

2,056 Posts
Good topic. My pump is missing about 1/3 of one of it's intake fins. I bought it that way and never had any problems with the boat so I left it. It just snapped off clean. I'm debating whether to weld it back to original, or cut the other side down. Any thoughts? What is the concept behind the fins?

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless your running over 80 due the best you can to fix asnd Have fun.
I'll be running over 80 if i'm not already, last gps i ran 76.9 and my foats where set way too low so it was stumbling at full throttle. I got that problem resolved and this last time i went out the boat pulled way harder and felt alot faster, i forgot my damn handheld though. :|err Right now i'm running a berk A imp, no shoe, no rideplate, no setback, no loader, stock rock grate so i'm guessing i'll be in the 80's once i start workin the pump more too...

We'll see what i'm running this next trip.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
I dont want to cut the fins down, that seams like a bad fix to me. What i was thinking is what Eliminator Cruiser said and build it back up and reshape.
Can we see some pics of what they look like? Because if they're just dinged up a bit, then it would probably be better to just hit them real quick with a sander. For just one chunk, like I had, it was easier to just cut a small portion of the front edge off, maybe not the ideal fix, but I bet it won't make any difference in how the boat will act. But, if there are several chunks missing, then welding would be the preferred method of fixing it.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
:))eek:)) OUCH!!!!!

Looks like somebody hit something.:p

I'd be half tempted to make a template of the good fin, cut out the fin shape,
cut off that beat up fin, and weld the new fin on in it's place. That would help with the breaking problem because it would be billet.:D

But, otherwise WELD IT UP, back to where it used to be, then grind it all back down smooth.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It Is Aluminum, Call A Welder With A Tig And Get A File And A Grinder. Once You Get A Couple Of Passes Grind It Down And Do It Again Until It's How You Want It. Use The File At The End To Fine Tune. Good Luck It Can Definetly Be Saved.

·
688 Posts
Shaun I think you should call Jack at MPD. He's a great guy and really helpful, he is also very reasonable:)coffee

·
Co-Founder of SHB
534 Posts
I'll be running over 80 if i'm not already, last gps i ran 76.9 and my foats where set way too low so it was stumbling at full throttle. I got that problem resolved and this last time i went out the boat pulled way harder and felt alot faster, i forgot my damn handheld though. :|err Right now i'm running a berk A imp, no shoe, no rideplate, no setback, no loader, stock rock grate so i'm guessing i'll be in the 80's once i start workin the pump more too...

We'll see what i'm running this next trip.
I went from 75 on the gps with a stock jet-o-vater, added a shoe, rideplate, droop and a place diverter and went 89 mph on gps so there are benefits of adding these components just my o2…

Markist

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Continue running it the way it is, will still work fine. For quick fix, you can grind it a little, and put Devcon aluminum epoxy repair on it, then sand and shape it. For proper repair, pull it out, have it welded. Doing it in the boat will destroy the set and bond to the hull. For a lake boat I'd just epoxy it, or leave it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ya Sleek is right. Tigging that on the boat would make that whole intake a heat sink mess up the bond. By the looks of it to get a puddle going would take about 200 plus amps or so and the heat would carry to the rest of the intake. Not worth taking the chance.
T.J.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
welding heat

What they said.

Take a file to it and take off the high spots and run it or pull the intake and fix it. Ive tried epoxying things inside my jet before to change shapes,etc. and it usually doesnt hold up but if you want to try epoxy try the black marine tex make sure you prep the surface very well, needs to be fresh clean aluminum.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Now hold up here, I asked about using epoxy on my intake fin a couple of months ago, and every response to that was "DON'T DO IT!!!" But now I see this thread and you guys are telling him to epoxy it?:)eh:) Everyone said that if it broke off it could fuck up the impeller and maybe get stuck in the bowl, or it would just be a bad thing. And my boat "might" do 70 mph, going down stream after a big rain.

And won't the fin being chipped like that make the wear ring want to spin or push out, so you would have to stake the wear ring? Because that is what I was also told. I asked about the bolts from where my wear ring was staked, and somebody said that I probably had a damaged fin on my intake, and they were spot on about that, without ever seeing that I had a chunk missing from my fin.

And yes don't try to weld it on the boat, that would really mess that poxy putty up. Also, have you ever tried TIG welding on your back, it's not that easy (unless you have a thumb control). I tried it once with a foot control, and that was a pain in the ass, I was using the side of my foot to press down the peddle.lol:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts