Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's some pics of the intake for TNYoungblood's 540 project.

Mock-up for port match:

Hellooooooo down there!

Pretty rough form the start...Edelbrock needs some new sand.

Gettin after it...this makes a big mess:

End results:

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
continued:

Plenum looks a little "happier" :D

Here's the plenum spacer:

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the flow bench: (cell phone pics)

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
:)devil

you get my last pm today:)bulb

your makin me Jealous :)grn

Mike (Steel is doing Dads heads and intake also):)devil

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah...thought I wrote you back, just must have forgotten to push the send button. Dang fancy contraptions, anyway...:)sphss
Don't be jealous. :D

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
It's not stock any more. ;)

Thanks Loren.
thought for sure you was gonna offer to make another bad a-s billet one
for him;)!

p.s. hey steel, how did you come up with your end dimensions for the proper spacer thickness? I know that's the ticket for those rams to make
'em more useable, remember seeing dyno testing, don't remember how
to determine proper thickness- :D or is that "privledged information";)

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,811 Posts
for him;)!

p.s. hey steel, how did you come up with your end dimensions for the proper spacer thickness? I know that's the ticket for those rams to make
Lol, I have one on the shelf if they want it. Trying to keep one in stock now.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for him;)!

Just part of an engine software that gives an "optimum" volume, but from what I read, there's also no real "general" formula. Some suggest a volume based on a percentage of the displacement, or 1.5 times one cylinder...stuff like that (with no consistensy what so ever), but the bottom line seems to be that almost any time you increase plenum volume, you will increase power across the board.

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,811 Posts
Just part of an engine software that gives an "optimum" volume, but from what I read, there's also no real "general" formula. Some suggest a volume based on a percentage of the displacement, or 1.5 times one cylinder...stuff like that (with no consistensy what so ever), but the bottom line seems to be that almost any time you increase plenum volume, you will increase power across the board.
Now what does that increased plenum volume do for throttle response and drivability? I assume as with most things engine it's a give and take. The larger the plenum the more overall power but with some sacrifice of throttle response, less plenum you may not see as much power but could possibly benefit from more response??? :)sphss:)hand

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Now what does that increased plenum volume do for throttle response and drivability? I assume as with most things engine it's a give and take. The larger the plenum the more overall power but with some sacrifice of throttle response, less plenum you may not see as much power but could possibly benefit from more response??? :)sphss:)hand
On a 540 with a pair of 4150's I think the throttle response will be there. Probably not so much with a pair of 1050's or a smaller engine. It's easy enough to test with/without the spacer.

Very nice work, looks great!
Thanks.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts

Nice Scott.

Did you by chance run any of the math on the intake runner length to see what pluse wave you're catching for the rpm it's goin to run?

S CP

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice Scott.

Did you by chance run any of the math on the intake runner length to see what pluse wave you're catching for the rpm it's goin to run?

S CP
It's pretty close to the third. Ideal is 12.56", we're at 13.06".

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts

Trav it will be the best $$$$ you ever spent ... Cant tell yal enough how much Scott has helped me with this build :D...

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts

Scott everything has turned out SWEET:)devil !!!!! Thanks for goin that extra mile for me:D .. Cant wait to get it all together and whip sum azz next summer on the Cumberland:p ....

Man this thing is gonna ROCK:)devil:)devil

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Scott everything has turned out SWEET:)devil !!!!! Thanks for goin that extra mile for me:D .. Cant wait to get it all together and whip sum azz next summer on the Cumberland:p ....

Man this thing is gonna ROCK:)devil:)devil
Soon, my friend, soon. Thanks for being patient. I'm pretty lucky to have such good customers. I really mean that. :)devil

1 - 20 of 21 Posts