Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering..Is it neccessary for the rear of the intake loader grate to rest upon the surface of the intake at the back? Or is it OK to have the rear suspended with only the four mount bolts securing the grate. thanks

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I've been wondering..Is it neccessary for the rear of the intake loader grate to rest upon the surface of the intake at the back? Or is it OK to have the rear suspended with only the four mount bolts securing the grate. thanks
I would not feel comfortable with just the mount pad holding the grate in place unless the bolts were enormous.

There is a huge amount of strain on those grates. Why does it not touch the intake at the rear? Something is not right....

GT :)hand (Not Gary Taylor :mad:)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Zombie pics might help , some there were some variations in some of the stock rock grates respective to the rear , my loaders for example are designed to "rest" in the shoe casting area Tom

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I was test fitting an extra blocker grate and noticed no contact in the back by about 3/16" or so. I can weld it up and then grind it to touch. With the four 5/16" grade 8 bolts I thought maybe it was not necessary to touch.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
At high speeds, those loaders can vibirate quite a bit if they are not secure at the back. I've even seen boats gain MPH from bolting them down back there. I would not be comfortable with a loose loader rear end on a very fast boat.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Duane if they just touch is that okay or do you recommend bolting through the intake? Boat is a 21 footer in the high 80's if it matters.

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
Watch that drill depth!!!

I vented my oil pan when I drilled and tapped. Ouch!

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
It did. The last to be drilled. On my back in AB gravel, arms tired. Just wanted to be done. WTF, where's this oil coming from? AAHHH Schizat!

I'll remember it well.

·
Jet boat service
126 Posts
I would not feel comfortable with just the mount pad holding the grate in place unless the bolts were enormous.

There is a huge amount of strain on those grates. Why does it not touch the intake at the rear? Something is not right....

GT :)hand (Not Gary Taylor :mad:)
My white lightning top loaders don't touch the housing on the back side but they do have a fifth mounting point drilled on the rear brace so you can bolt up the back side with a washer thick shim if you are running high speeds. You need to drill and tap the intake. jim :D

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
My loader isnt mounted or attached in the rear portion, no problems. Been 130 plus many times with it and has 2 seasons on it, just starting my 3rd season on it.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
At high speeds, those loaders can vibirate quite a bit if they are not secure at the back. I've even seen boats gain MPH from bolting them down back there. I would not be comfortable with a loose loader rear end on a very fast boat.
Duane, how much testing have you done with loaders supported in the back. I've never seen one. Just curious, my loader is going on its third season, I check it ever pass at the track and remove it after ever race. Granted my boat only goes 110, but I know lots of guys running 130 - 140 without any problems.

Is drag a factor when using a rear support? Lots of things happen inside a suction housing at high speeds, there is a lot of unknowns about what happens inside there at speeds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts