Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched back-threads but still cant find an answer. Previous owner of my wreidt got something jammed in the stock grate so he just cut off the fins w a grinder and ran it like that for a year. Im prob gonna buy a loader but i cant get the old remnants off. i heated up the allen bolts, then stripped them out trying to remove. cut grooves in the head for a screwdriver, ripped the heads rt off the bolts. I'm gonna try a left handed drill bit for removal.

Question is this, are these bolts through bolted or threaded? and will the new loader need to be through bolted. Asking bc i cant see a thing, theyre directly underneath my oil pan (wide sump and an olds motor). Am i gonna have to pull the motor for the install??

This is my first jet and havnt even had it on the water yet, depressing

·
Jet boat service
126 Posts
Good luck on that job. I have spent hours, many times drilling out broken loader bolts. In the stock form they are 1/4 x 20 and don't go thru the housing. If they are 5/16 x 18 they have been upgraded by some one before you. They may go thru the intake adapter and they may not. I would put a mirror under the pan and try to find out. Its going to be a bitch...Good luck. Jim :mad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright!!! Thanks for the encouraging words!!!!
Looks like it's gonna be a fun week.

Come on 65 views and only one reply, help a new jet owner out!!!

Anyone else with some suggestions?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Schmiddy , Get the boat raised enough to work confortably, center punch the bad bolt heads an drill thru them ( buy a few high quality carbide bits ) then simply drill and tap the holes to oversize , 5/16 or even 3/8 if neccary Call if you have questions Tom

ps wear eye protection ;)

·
Registered
995 Posts
loader bolts

Personally, I'd raise up the boat. Center punch the loader bolts and carefully drill a pilot hole thru[small]. Then remove the motor[only takes about an hour] and drill and tap to 5/16th. Buy grade 8 thru bolts and install antiseize on threads and lucknuts on top. All this can be done on a Sat morning. Pat

·
Registered
546 Posts
get a supply of left handed bits, as you progress in size you may get lucky and it remove the remains od the broken bolts. drill and tap for 5/16 also if doing this with the motor in place i would try to put some kindof barrier between the pump and oil pan as i have seen more than one bore thru the pan when they break thru the intake, just a percaution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
get a supply of left handed bits, as you progress in size you may get lucky and it remove the remains od the broken bolts. drill and tap for 5/16 also if doing this with the motor in place i would try to put some kindof barrier between the pump and oil pan as i have seen more than one bore thru the pan when they break thru the intake, just a percaution.
That was a concern of mine.

For the new loader thats through bolted, how do you install wo pulling the motor? Just very carefully with alot of cursing?!

thanks for all your replies

·
Registered
4,045 Posts

For the new loader thats through bolted, how do you install wo pulling the motor? Just very carefully with alot of cursing?!

You said it! And a lots of it! Be careful when drilling. I have also used masking tape on the drill bit as a stopper! Rap the bit with a good amount of tape where you want the depth to stop! The tape will help when you go through not to drill the pan! WT:)devil

·
Registered
546 Posts
a flex head gear wrench with the nut taped or glued in will greatly help the installation of the nuts under the pan. also a double dose of patience wont hurt either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Schmiddy , Get the boat raised enough to work confortably, center punch the bad bolt heads an drill thru them ( buy a few high quality carbide bits ) then simply drill and tap the holes to oversize , 5/16 or even 3/8 if neccary Call if you have questions Tom

ps wear eye protection ;)

Thanks tom

expect a call sometime this week! ;)

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

That's how I did mine, standing on my head.

Good advice elsewhere that I cannot argue with, or add to.

I used Stainless 5/16" bolts tho, Grade 8's WILL RUST, I guarantee it. Change them every year or 2 IMO.

Instead of "anti-sieze", use a pipe-thread dope, soft setting type. This will give you both an anti-sieze effect on the threads, as well as BETTER corrosion protection there, and on the shanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts