Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(:(Ok, so putting together a tall deck motor with heads and a block that came used and from different sides of the earth. Long story short, the intake does not fit. After very quickly looking at the block deck height it seems ok relevant to the pistons, so I am guessing the heads have been angle milled or cut. (Note the intake is a new dart tall deck intake)

When I set the intake on the block with no gaskets it rests on the front and rear valley ribs. I can push the intake over to one side and can measure just under a 1/4 gap on the other side.

I then lifted the intake and set some thin cardboard under the front and rear ribs and centered the intake between the heads. I could then measure around .150-.160" between the intake and heads on each side, again with no gaskets installed.

Help, where do I go from here?

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
You are losing me. It appears like the manifold is not wide enough for this assembly?
When you mill...decks, heads, etc.....you are narrowing.
So...
Be sure head gaskets are in place.
Set the intake on with the intake gaskets......they are about .060 thick each side. If you don't have any gaskets then use a .060 valve spring shim each side and end. Mock it up that way and see what you have.
By the way...intake gaskets .125 thick are available.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Sounds like you have a standard deck intake. Measure across the flat of the end sealing surface. Standard deck is about 6 5/16".

·
Registered
167 Posts
This engine is a project bigblockbill and I are working on, so I will throw in some info too. The intake is supposed to be for a tall deck. The distributor hole is machined down .400 so you can use a standard distributor on it on a tall deck engine.

block is a Merlin II
heads are Merlin Iron 315/320s I got from a member here on the boards.
intake is a new Dart Intake

Here is a link to some pictures we posted for help over on dartheads.com:

http://www.dartheads.com/dartboard/showthread.php?t=290

I am unable to post the pictures here because the pics aren't on my computer. Maybe Bill can upload them.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

:confused:

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that you have a tall deck intake that's had too much taken off the flanges, especially from dart, OR- they machined the dist pad on a standard intake. Either way, it dosen't fit. Send it back and get the right one. You've already wasted more time on this than you should have had to.

·
Some guy
3,615 Posts
This engine is a project bigblockbill and I are working on, so I will throw in some info too. The intake is supposed to be for a tall deck. The distributor hole is machined down .400 so you can use a standard distributor on it on a tall deck engine.

block is a Merlin II
heads are Merlin Iron 315/320s I got from a member here on the boards.
intake is a new Dart Intake

Here is a link to some pictures we posted for help over on dartheads.com:

http://www.dartheads.com/dartboard/showthread.php?t=290

I am unable to post the pictures here because the pics aren't on my computer. Maybe Bill can upload them.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

:confused:
Apparently you can't view photos on the dartboard without signing up, so no easy way to see those photos. If I could see clear photos, I might have an answer.

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
Yeah no pictures.
But...I am thinking:
" I could then measure around .150-.160" between the intake and heads on each side, again with no gaskets installed."

If this were a low deck manifold he got by mistake....and since spacer plates to put a low deck manfold on a tall deck are .375 thick each side....seems there is something else going on.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you have a standard deck intake. Measure across the flat of the end sealing surface. Standard deck is about 6 5/16".
Does anyone know what it would be for a tall deck intake? Its kind of a subjective measurement but the one I have hear that does not fit is about 6 1/2 plus or minus .050 depending on where I go.

Is there any other measurements I could make that might tell me if this intake has been cut down?

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Does anyone know what it would be for a tall deck intake? Its kind of a subjective measurement but the one I have hear that does not fit is about 6 1/2 plus or minus .050 depending on where I go.

Is there any other measurements I could make that might tell me if this intake has been cut down?
It sounds like it is a bad intake because those gaps you stated are far too small.:)bulb I would send it back and have them send you another correct one.

Pictures would really, really help!!!!!:)bulb I'm not signing up to another website to view your pictures, so please post them up here!!!

Good luck.:)hand

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like we have a bad intake. It came from ebay and sold as new and never installed a while back... guess that does not mean it was not modified first... or not good to start with... bummer.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
Make spacers. Nothing is supposed to fit anyway. It's the hard that makes it great.
Double your gaskets up......that will make them .125 thick. Check your port match.
Maybe a .125 gasket each side (which are available) will get it. If not make your own gaskets or spacers. On the ends just use silicone to seal.
It's done all the time.....ain't no big deal.

Does look like a tall deck due to the thick flanges.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Sounds like we have a bad intake. It came from ebay and sold as new and never installed a while back... guess that does not mean it was not modified first... or not good to start with... bummer.

Here are some pics.
They sell factory rejects on eBay. It's always risky buying parts on eBay. So I guess you cant really send it back, since you bought it on eBay.

Do like Fiat said and use thick gaskets to fill in the gap. If it were a short deck intake, there would be a 3/8" gap on either side of the intake.

Good luck.:)hand

·
Registered
38 Posts

Here are some pics.
What is your port and bolt alignment like? With the manifold centered between the heads.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The port and bolt alignment seem just about right when I stuck some thin cardboard under the front and rear of the intake leaving me a measured value of .150-.160 between the intake and heads.

So if I double up and use 1 thick (.120) gasket and 1 thin (.060) gasket that would be .180 and sounds reasonable How much do you think they will compress? Maybe I should use 2 of the thicker gaskets.

Whats the best way to know if you got all the intake passages sealed and not sucking air?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
E bait

The port and bolt alignment seem just about right when I stuck some thin cardboard under the front and rear of the intake leaving me a measured value of .150-.160 between the intake and heads.

So if I double up and use 1 thick (.120) gasket and 1 thin (.060) gasket that would be .180 and sounds reasonable How much do you think they will compress? Maybe I should use 2 of the thicker gaskets.

Whats the best way to know if you got all the intake passages sealed and not sucking air?
Any way to contact the e bay seller? Maybe they know what was done and why. I see this as another reason to stay way from e bay when it comes to high performance parts. Buyer beware...............MP

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
You don't care about the ends so quit spacing there. What you care about ia port match.

Pick the manifold off the motor. Find some old intake gaskets or some gasket material or some measured washers or valve spring shims...anything you can measure and be sure of thickness. Space between the manifold and the intake ports. Get an idea of by the port match of how thick the intake gaskets need to be.
Space to get the bolt holes and the port match. The end plate clearance will be what it will be. The end plate gap will prolly be 1/8" to a 1/4....somewhere between.

If I was doing this the first thing I would do is throw on 1/8" gasket per side. Then I would look at the end late clearance. Have I got end plate clearance?
Yes...then the manifold is resting on the gaskets. No? Then I have to space more.
They didn't use to make .125 thick gaskets....we use to silicone them together or make our own out of gasket material. Use Ultra blue high temp silicone seal.
When you have got the manifold to fit....if you question the sealing of the ports....lightly use some silicone around the intakes.....you will see that push out when you tighten the intake if you are sealing all the way around.
On the final assembly...clean the end rails of the block with lacquer thinner....and also the end rails of the manifold. Run a bead of silicone along the end rails of the block....set the manifold in place and tighten the intake.

Now you have to check the depth of the mag/igntion. With the oil pan removed and the oil pump in place....set the dist in with one gasket. Be sure there is clearance at the oil pump shaft and it is not putting pressure or bottoming on the oil pump. If it does...add another gasket...etc...etc..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts