Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to jack infomaniac's plumbing thread. But I have a Q?. SmokingSS mentioned steam pockets, and yesterday at idle, I had steam coming out of my dump line at idle(only), yet the temp gauge never hit(over) 190*. I'm thinking the back of the block must have been hotter than the front(where the sending unit is). My intake has 2 holes(in the back) that are just plugged,where/how should I plumb those? Or am I way off here. Fwiw I ran it an hour or 2 with the temp gauge 120-130 ish(and it still steamed at idle) but at that temp I couldn't get my oil temp over 190*.:)eh:)

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
My RPM Air Gap manifold has those 2 plugs @ the back, and a matching pair on teh front crossover to the thermostat housing.
I plumbed my rears to the front, as advised by Edelbrock in the instructions (instalation options).
I have heard of people plumbing those rear taps directly overboard. If you have no front taps to match to, I would T them in to your overboard dump line, or install a seccond line to not overload the first.

I am certain the front of the engine IS cooler, since cooling water goes in the front, goes up into the heads at the same time, all the way down the block, and is only removed from the front.
Water at the back has to flow past 3 other cylinders, into the head, and fight it's way back against the water from the 3 other cylinders.
Picture a "traffic jam" on the way out.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for an answer. I've seen some intakes plumbed like that, I thought that's what you/someone might say. I do have the matching ports up front, but they are filled with a pres. gauge, and a sending unit(I may move those). Right no I'm tempted to t them together and run a second dump(3rd if you count the injection lines) with like a -3 overboard.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
You will get VERY little water pi$$ing out of a single tiny -3 line.
My lines fwd are 3/8ID.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
I plan on duing this to my new manifold when time permits. I got the idea when GN7 let me use his manifold and his were tapped for a dump there. Looking at my half assembled motor now, i can see how that area of the head is just a place for air to get trapped. My plan is to run a short hard line to the back of the t-stat housing.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have a rear port on mine and have a -8 running to a dump. I have 3 outlet lines on mine to keep the pressure down. I would think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to allow water to circulate out the rear of the motor.

Cy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts