Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through what seems like hundreds of posts on setting intakes. I'm putting a set back Berk in my alum work skiff and am wondering how I level the intake in relation to the hull fore/aft. Do I disregard any relationship under the boat between hull/keel line and intake and just go off the top mounting surface of the intake where the suction piece mates up (leveling it in relation to the stringers/chines)? I guess I was thinking that in a standard install, you'd position the intake at the front/rear to be even with the hull on the under side and this would not be easy to do with a set back as you don't have any hull at the aft end to reference. Perhaps a stupid question but I only want to do this once..........

Also, the hull is only 1/4" plate. Is that enough "meat" to countersink the intake mounting screws? If not, since this is a work boat not high performance hull, perhaps a piece of 1/8 x 1" flat plate on the under side to beef it up a bit. Sure it'd be a bit of an obstruction for smooth water flow but I don't know if it matters on this application.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in however if your ready to do this and need help asap I PMd you my cell Theres more questions and aspects to what you ask than I can type right now and particularly with what I see is an Aluminum boat ? Tom

·
Amerian Turbine Man
88 Posts
I've read through what seems like hundreds of posts on setting intakes. I'm putting a set back Berk in my alum work skiff and am wondering how I level the intake in relation to the hull fore/aft. Do I disregard any relationship under the boat between hull/keel line and intake and just go off the top mounting surface of the intake where the suction piece mates up (leveling it in relation to the stringers/chines)? I guess I was thinking that in a standard install, you'd position the intake at the front/rear to be even with the hull on the under side and this would not be easy to do with a set back as you don't have any hull at the aft end to reference. Perhaps a stupid question but I only want to do this once..........

Also, the hull is only 1/4" plate. Is that enough "meat" to countersink the intake mounting screws? If not, since this is a work boat not high performance hull, perhaps a piece of 1/8 x 1" flat plate on the under side to beef it up a bit. Sure it'd be a bit of an obstruction for smooth water flow but I don't know if it matters on this application.
Sent you a PM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts