Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it looks like I am going to have my intake set back and have the bottom of the boat blue printed this winter. (barring financial issues of course)

My intake that is in there now is pretty chewed up, the fins had been beat pretty good before I got the boat.

Question is, how much of a benefit will I see from an aftermarket intake? Or, should I just clean mine up and have it cut for a shoe? Or should I find a good condition berk intake and just cut that one for a shoe? Since I am flipping the boat and what not I am going to see if I can chase down the century mark next summer. Maybe if I can get this Miller to run hard I may do some bracket racing the following season. So yeah, thoughts, idea's? Thanks!

Im gonna call my group Broken Budget Racing.. Sheesh she takes a thousand and she's not even wet! Hopefully I'll come out swinging hard next year though.

~Brian

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
just put a wtb: ad in the spam section for a stock round keel berk intake with good fins on it, i doubt a aftermarket intake will do it much good, v-hulls get plenty of lift using the shoe and rideplate.

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
So, it looks like I am going to have my intake set back and have the bottom of the boat blue printed this winter. (barring financial issues of course)

My intake that is in there now is pretty chewed up, the fins had been beat pretty good before I got the boat.

Question is, how much of a benefit will I see from an aftermarket intake? Or, should I just clean mine up and have it cut for a shoe? Or should I find a good condition berk intake and just cut that one for a shoe? Since I am flipping the boat and what not I am going to see if I can chase down the century mark next summer. Maybe if I can get this Miller to run hard I may do some bracket racing the following season. So yeah, thoughts, idea's? Thanks!

Im gonna call my group Broken Budget Racing.. Sheesh she takes a thousand and she's not even wet! Hopefully I'll come out swinging hard next year though.

~Brian
you can trim those fins down considerably and benefit from less drag. also just send your intake out to mpd to have the cutting done, he will give you a bunch of how too when it's time to reset. he will have you darn close with set up, or you can pm sobay310. mpd and me have been doing some tuning on that miller looking for the most with only 600-650hp and mpd did all the install on that one including the pump thanks to 76miller previouse owner. if you have any question you can pm if you like i will give you what little knowledge i got

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
You can't be serious !

you can trim those fins down considerably and benefit from less drag. also just send your intake out to mpd to have the cutting done, he will give you a bunch of how too when it's time to reset. he will have you darn close with set up, or you can pm sobay310. mpd and me have been doing some tuning on that miller looking for the most with only 600-650hp and mpd did all the install on that one including the pump thanks to 76miller previouse owner. if you have any question you can pm if you like i will give you what little knowledge i got
You and sobay310 have been doing some tuning huh ?? Thats classic. Lets see, the motor was moved to the best spot already, the bottom was done, the pump was set back already, the pump was built to the hilt w/ every last trick. The loader in it was custom made for that boat w/ added blocker, nozzle insert, b/c shoe, diverter stop........so does a 30 tho shim to the shoe constitute tuning ?? That boat ran 86mph w/ 525hp then 102mph w/ 820hp. What is it running after all "your tuning" ?????

·
I don't feel tardy
845 Posts
Originally Posted by 78CoLeBBF
You and sobay310 have been doing some tuning huh ?? Thats classic. Lets see, the motor was moved to the best spot already, the bottom was done, the pump was set back already, the pump was built to the hilt w/ every last trick. The loader in it was custom made for that boat w/ added blocker, nozzle insert, b/c shoe, diverter stop........so does a 30 tho shim to the shoe constitute tuning ?? That boat ran 86mph w/ 525hp then 102mph w/ 820hp. What is it running after all "your tuning" ?????
BNAG

LMAO :D

That hit just cleared the center field bleachers!!!!!

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Inquiring minds are awaiting the..."Comeback Reply"!
Brian is a pretty intelligent guy, Im sure that he will do fine asking his own questions to the right people!
after all, Im sure he is going to come out the gates with Nandi in his sights...its the American way!:D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Inquiring minds are awaiting the..."Comeback Reply"!
Brian is a pretty intelligent guy, Im sure that he will do fine asking his own questions to the right people!
after all, Im sure he is going to come out the gates with Nandi in his sights...its the American way!:D
Thanks for the vote of confidence Todd. I figgured I might be able to get a couple of opinions aftermarket vs berk. I'm thinking these boards may be getting less for actual tech and more of one uppin each other. Think we could keep the agendas out of this thread?

Maybe this topic has been flogged a few too many times?

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Brian if you need anything let me know, i may not know as much as you do but i have a pair of hands! :D

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
you ok wayne? tuning is improving or so I thought. so since the boat was purchase there has been other adjustments other than a .30 shoe, and even that my friend is tuning. you act as if i claimed i buit the boat wich was not said. I stated "thanks to 76miller previouse owner."

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Your intake fins can be repaired 90 % of the time, no big deal. Id machine them down a little anyways if you want to hit 100, that will be 2 birds with 1 stone.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts

Whats that black low profile intake up on the left? Grimes?

One of the vintage race part collecters would be on that like flys on chit.

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
How much of a benefit does a low profile intake have over a standard berk?
on your boat I wonder if the cost would be worth the results I have a grimes low pro that I'm gonna put in my other jet cruiser cause it's the only one i got. but I believe Jordon and Ross run berks in there 19 rogers and the intake in sobay310 boat is a berk (thank you Wayne) just set at a steeper angle.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is the benefit of a low profile suction housing? My assumption would be that due to the lower angles that it would feed the face of the impeller better. Am I close to target with that thought process?

·
Spiral out
1,545 Posts
Neither Jordan or Ross had/have lowpro intakes on the Rogers.

It does lessen the angle (2 deg) and open the suction housing some to better feed the suction housing (really only needed for max effort stuff).

Also it requires a lowered engine and you might run into pan clearance problems if you do not move the engine forward.

LOTS of adjustments/modifications required to make the transition to a lower intake.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts