Performance Boats Forum banner

intake valley screen

14K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Led 
#1 ·
anybody have any experience doing this? putting together my Dart 540 and i would like to find out whats the best stainless mesh to use, and what kind of epoxy to install it? i know it helps out with oil hitting the camshaft and when a valvetrain failure occurs, it can save parts, any input?

#2 ·
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

I got tired of the epoxy.

#9 ·
Had I had all the information prior to assembling, installing, and running the engine I would have done the oil line return modification. If it had been an engine running for a long time or distance I still would have done the modification, but as Bob stated the accumulator was sufficent for my issues. So to answer the original question, I guess alot would depend on the intended use of the engine.

#12 ·
View attachment 185472
If you use a screen, think about parts in pieces... These came out of the bottom of the pan, except the lifter and arm that is still in tack
Never have run screens, had lifters look like that—screen would have not helped much, broke the cam and cracked the block :)Unsure. Picked up a used block awhile back and always wonder why two holes were added to the front of the block leading into the lifter valley, now I know why, oil drain off, a lot to be learned reading this stuff :))THumbsUp. Low oil problem, think about this, 9 qt. oil pan, 3.5 to 4 qts. in suspension and now probably two in the valley area because of a screen to catch the parts when the engine comes apart due to 2.5 to 3 qts. maybe left in the pan on deceleration nothing for the pickup:))ThumbsDwn.

#22 ·
There is no way a screen would not of helped, to what extent? Don't know, yes most of the shit that came apart would be below the screen, but say push rod broke or bend on just one side of lifter...ie Chevy and exhaust sides we all know the probability...lifter can not come all the way out of the bore without the link breaking, on mine the lifter broke and got stuck in the bore, roller did go down, no way to stop it, but all the top pieces of that lifter did go down and might have been stopped....but MITES are on a chickens ass

#23 ·
You said ALL those parts came out of the pan. I understsand the roller already being under the valley. But how did the semi complete lifter get in the pan and how would screen stop that?
No matter how hard I try, I cannot get what is roughly the equivelant of a flat tapper lifter, into the pan without it falling thru the bore.

#25 ·
Not a fan of screens, yet understand why people used to think they were a MUST in a performance build. Keep in mind that when people started using screens, they were using crap springs, crap lifters and crap rockers compared to what is available today. So failures and debris were much more common. I have had two engines in the last few years come in with destroyed bottom ends due to valley screens coming unglued and going thru the bottom... and tell you what... nothing can possibly be good about finding what looks like steel wool in an oil pump pickup... and nearly had a potential failure with another engine because the customer suppied a block that had it done already and was insisting on using it until I was able to pick a corner of the epoxy with my thumb nail and pull the entire screen out within a minute and with little effort.

If anything, and you really want a screen, I would make up something simmular to what Piston posted up with perforated steel that was screwed down without problems. I have done this type and have seen a few others like this and haven't had any problems.

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

#26 ·
Not a fan of screens, yet understand why people used to think they were a MUST in a performance build. Keep in mind that when people started using screens, they were using crap springs, crap lifters and crap rockers compared to what is available today. So failures and debris were much more common. I have had two engines in the last few years come in with destroyed bottom ends due to valley screens coming unglued and going thru the bottom... and tell you what... nothing can possibly be good about finding what looks like steel wool in an oil pump pickup... and nearly had a potential failure with another engine because the customer suppied a block that had it done already and was insisting on using it until I was able to pick a corner of the epoxy with my thumb nail and pull the entire screen out within a minute and with little effort.

If anything, and you really want a screen, I would make up something simmular to what Piston posted up with perforated steel that was screwed down without problems. I have done this type and have seen a few others like this and haven't had any problems.

View attachment 185657
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Led... when shit comes apart, and in the bottom end... ANYTHING in the bottom end... it dicks up everything.
Shrapnel makes a bunch of dings.
Wags

#27 ·
Clarification....the lifter bodies did not go down into the pan, one stayed in the bore and the other lifter with link arm still attached was in the valley and could not go down...didnt screw stuff up that bad on the top end...of course the rest went down, i found roller bearing needles in the top of the springs, they were everywhere...lol

Piston's deal does not affect oil pressure...not even at the end of the track, after the pass.

Is a screen added insurance? I think so, some have seen oil pressure problems because of it, some have not. I like the idea, through my recent learning curve have i have broke rockers push rods etc. so I will run one if at all possible.

Here is a video of my motor, after the lifter break, new lifter and cam, cylinder walls have seen better days and pistons looked like hell, put it together and went for broke. 7% over.
still made plenty of power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.