Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had a fuel delivery problem. Now I am thinking it may be electrical of some sort since I just went through the fuel delivery system. I have a 1992 2.5L EFI 200 XRi Merc. The engine experiences intermittent power loss. This isn't a complete shut down of the engine, but rather something like 80% power loss.

I ran fine all day Friday. Put it in the water on Saturday and I couldn't get any more than 2,000 rpms. The throttle was wide open and it wouldn't get on plane. I brought it back down to idle and then tried to plane again. Again no power at the onset of plane and then out of no where it is as though someone plugged the engine in. It came to life and leaped out of the hole as it should. As I was on plane it was cutting in an out for about a half mile, then fine the rest of the day. Ran fine all day Sunday until the end of the day.

I assume this is an analog ECU? Is the ECU my problem? What about the coils? Any thing else?

Would a Merc Tech be able to diagnose exactly what the problem is via computer or is the local dealer only going to swap out parts and soak me for cash?

All thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,828 Posts
I thought I had a fuel delivery problem. Now I am thinking it may be electrical of some sort since I just went through the fuel delivery system. I have a 1992 2.5L EFI 200 XRi Merc. The engine experiences intermittent power loss. This isn't a complete shut down of the engine, but rather something like 80% power loss.

I ran fine all day Friday. Put it in the water on Saturday and I couldn't get any more than 2,000 rpms. The throttle was wide open and it wouldn't get on plane. I brought it back down to idle and then tried to plane again. Again no power at the onset of plane and then out of no where it is as though someone plugged the engine in. It came to life and leaped out of the hole as it should. As I was on plane it was cutting in an out for about a half mile, then fine the rest of the day. Ran fine all day Sunday until the end of the day.

I assume this is an analog ECU? Is the ECU my problem? What about the coils? Any thing else?

Would a Merc Tech be able to diagnose exactly what the problem is via computer or is the local dealer only going to swap out parts and soak me for cash?

All thoughts are greatly appreciated.
There's a reason they call them stealers. Still sounds like fuel to me. When electrics go bad they usually stay bad.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a reason they call them stealers. Still sounds like fuel to me. When electrics go bad they usually stay bad.
I need to change the water seperating fuel filter on the engine. My suspicion is that is not my problem. In an effort to rule some items out, is there a way to tell if the ECU is sending the proper signals to the injectors? Is there a way to check if the coils are providing the proper spark?

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
It's an outboard. In order for there to be a power loss, the power has to be there to begin with. :D :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do the 2.5's have reeds? kinda sounds like it broke a reed valve to me if it has em
Yep...it has reed valves. If some were broken, I would think it would operate poorly consistently, not intermittently.

Jetaholic......there are plenty of weed wackers that will show you the power. :)devil

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
Yep...it has reed valves. If some were broken, I would think it would operate poorly consistently, not intermittently.

Jetaholic......there are plenty of weed wackers that will show you the power. :)devil
yeah, i told myself that too when i broke a reed in my lil 120hp merc, but it'd run like it had a bad plug wire when i broke a reed. ended up putting boyeson racing reeds in it, sure picked up alil power when i did too.

have you pulled the plugs and looked at em? any have milky oil on em?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
try doin a search on this site:

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=25

its been the best outboard repair info site i've found to date, there's some sharp dudes on there that knowwwww outboards.ya know someone has had the same issue before, i'd bet there's alot of threads on this very issue;)

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,828 Posts
I need to change the water seperating fuel filter on the engine. My suspicion is that is not my problem. In an effort to rule some items out, is there a way to tell if the ECU is sending the proper signals to the injectors? Is there a way to check if the coils are providing the proper spark?
I don't even run seperaters on my boats but I guess I should. Never had an issue tho.
Yes the ecu can be tested. Send it to John Marles and he will test it for you. US1 Racing 661-250-7157
I doubt it coils or ecu but if it is ecu I have one for an XRI system. Actually I have the whole system in the garage.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If it is the ECU, I will buy a new Brucato ACU. The analog ECU's are not the best from what I hear. Thanks for the offer though.

I have three sets of fuel filters on this thing and I can't figure it out. In-line purolator filters coming from the tank into the Quiksilver water seperating fuel filter mounted to the transom. From there into the low pressure fuel pump and into yet another water separating fuel filter mounted under the cowling. From there into the high pressure fuel pump.

I am thinking about ditching the water separating fuel filter mounted under the cowling and moving the ECU over to the Port side instead of right in front of the butter flys. Why do I need two water seperating fuel filters and who in the heck would mount a big box right in front of the air intake? Any thoughts on this?

Lastly, I will probably put new plugs in and send the injectors out to Brucato to be cleaned and flowed. I hate to do this now as my boating season is so short, but I need this thing to run right consistently.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
You better watch it buddy I know of one outboard that will smoke you. :|err
and it has half the horsepower your mud sucker puts out.
Oh I know Dave...I'm sure there are several that can but you know me...just had to razz :D

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
My Verado lost a coil and had similar symptoms....

It would work until you pushed it then it would start running bad....it would cool and then run better...then it would do it again...

Motor would vibrate and shake on take off...

check those coils !

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,828 Posts
Stator does have 2 sides to it. A low and a high speed side. If it only does it low speeds or only @ high speeds it could be. If it dances around at both speeds I doubt it.

·
Platinum Member
2,102 Posts
You can ohm out the stator wiring will need a factory service book ,may take a little time to verify all tests are ok. p,s mine failed the last test.I would first clean all electrical grounds. take your time clean and prep each contact point. make sure the battery isnt using wing nuts Bozo No-No stuff l

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.