Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can you get internet in an area with very poor cellular service? With no phone lines? I'mtalking about a river mobile home that has Directv dish, but it's a bitch to get on the internet because of no service. Not that I need to be onthe internet when i'm at the river, but we do have to try to conduct some business while there on occasion. Any suggestions?

The second question is, is there a way to boost cellular signal? The mobiel home sits down off the highway..on the highway there's a signal, but down at the trailer, very poor. Any Tech experts on here? I was also wondering if DIRECTV maybe has internet via satellite? ThankS!

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
you should be able to get internet w/cable modem via your directTV, probably your best option...

what kind of cell phone? do you have any kind of DOCKING station that has an external antenna connection???

I used to sell antennas for 900mhz and 1800mhz cells back in the day (for tug boat & over the road truckers)... I havent messed with that stuff in over a decade due to the expanding cell coverage... IF cell coverage is marginal you should be able to boost your service by having your phone on a base with full DC power (charging power from AC) and an external antenna IF your phone has the provisions for external antenna (like a car hands free base)...

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you should be able to get internet w/cable modem via your directTV, probably your best option...

what kind of cell phone? do you have any kind of DOCKING station that has an external antenna connection???

I used to sell antennas for 900mhz and 1800mhz cells back in the day (for tug boat & over the road truckers)... I havent messed with that stuff in over a decade due to the expanding cell coverage... IF cell coverage is marginal you should be able to boost your service by having your phone on a base with full DC power (charging power from AC) and an external antenna IF your phone has the provisions for external antenna (like a car hands free base)...
I have a droid Razr HD, via verizon , i don't have a docking station with an antennae. I want to say my friend has an antennae mounted on his house that somehow boosts his celluar signal in his home. The house sits lower than the highway, so would that type of antanne work? I'llhave to look into directv for their internet modem.

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
I have Hughesnet dish. Kind of pricey and has a band width limit. But it's the best I've found so far.

·
ytosemitesam
148 Posts
options --------

If I get a cell booster would that work better?
Direct T V really does not have internet. They sold their [Hughes Net], to Dish a couple of years ago, Dish also owns most of [Wild Blue], and there is [Star Band] They all have +'s and -'s. We choose which one put in a customers house based on primary wants and needs.
Wilson probably has the best cell Antennas and amplifiers. Whether that will be the answer ? Good rule of thumb is if you have a bar or so it will bring it up to three or four. From what you have said, maybe get a 30' tower or so and mount the cell antenna on the top.
hope this gives you some ideas.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts