Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
MEDIUM PIMPIN!!!
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you purchase something out of state, you don't pay tax. Billions of dollars in purchases on the internet go tax free every year. Since neither the buyer nor the seller have to pay taxes on these sales, each state is suffering from a loss in tax dollars. The internet not only is hurting the brick and mortar businesses, but each state as well. If you live in California and buy in California, then you do pay 7.75% tax whether you buy on the internet or not however most people will search farther to find the same product in a different state to save sales tax.

I think there should be a internet sales tax on every purchase that is split between the buyer and seller's states. This would not only help the revenue of every state, but also help the brick and mortar business as well.

What is your take??

~NORD~

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Might be good in the end.

But as a business keeping track of all the different rates and who gets what would be a logistical nightmare.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If you purchase something out of state, you don't pay tax. Billions of dollars in purchases on the internet go tax free every year. Since neither the buyer nor the seller have to pay taxes on these sales, each state is suffering from a loss in tax dollars. The internet not only is hurting the brick and mortar businesses, but each state as well. If you live in California and buy in California, then you do pay 7.75% tax whether you buy on the internet or not however most people will search farther to find the same product in a different state to save sales tax.

I think there should be a internet sales tax on every purchase that is split between the buyer and seller's states. This would not only help the revenue of every state, but also help the brick and mortar business as well.

What is your take??

~NORD~
Very patriotic on your part ! I personally think Uncle Sam should get his own job !

·
MEDIUM PIMPIN!!!
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might be good in the end.

But as a business keeping track of all the different rates and who gets what would be a logistical nightmare.
Every internet transaction is kept in accounting records. Each item is shipped to the seller so keeping the states in line would be simple.

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts

What is your take??

~NORD~
It depends on how the "Sales Tax" is set up.

In most states, the tax is charged on goods purchased in that state for use in that state. Why should "I" have to pay for government and infrastructure in a state that I have no intention of ever visiting and/or using their services?

Cross state sales is no new phenomenon. Mail order has been around since, well, mail. Fingerhut, Sears, Monkey Wards, JC Penny, etc. were selling things this way long before Al Gore even thought of inventing the Internet, actually before Al Gore was even born. The only difference was that you had to mail in your order and payment, and later on, with the advent of consumer credit, phone it in.

The internet has just made it easier, instantaneous and allows for better comparison shopping, thus better deals for the consumer.

I wouldn't have expected THIS subject from someone who has an Internet sales site.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I say NO MORE TAXES Please please NO MORE TAXES.
This is very simple to fix if there is a lack of funds for a State try what a smart person would do. Spend Less pretty simple if you ask me.
So if you bring in 7 billion you spend 7 billion you dont spend 14 billion
Now was that hard to learn? :)

·
Damage Inc
433 Posts
Every internet transaction is kept in accounting records. Each item is shipped to the seller so keeping the states in line would be simple.
What would the tax rate be? The seller's? The buyer's? Split?
Should we hire about a thousand new gov't workers to track and audit this?
Do you know the tax rate for every county, and add the special rates for some locations? We could pay gov't workers to keep us updated whenever there is a change...:)sphss
How will you get me for out of country buys?
What if all the sellers just go to Ebay? Craigslist?
We could hire a bunch of gov't employees to check these sites daily...

·
adjones419
1,064 Posts
I say NO MORE TAXES Please please NO MORE TAXES.
This is very simple to fix if there is a lack of funds for a State try what a smart person would do. Spend Less pretty simple if you ask me.
So if you bring in 7 billion you spend 7 billion you dont spend 14 billion
Now was that hard to learn? :)
Spend 6.5 billion and save the rest for a rainy day. :D

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
What your proposing is another way to tax us when we found a way around it. How about the government stop spending money frivolously? Our forefathers put together a great country and it has been screwed up beyond belief. I won't go into anything else, I will stick to the topic. They setup "no taxation without representation". That has been murdered.

And come on by the time you spend your paycheck how much goes to taxes? Let's see the company you work for was already taxed on their earnings. Your taxed on your earnings that you got from them. Your taxed when you buy something (except for something big like your house that you get taxed every year instead of just once) your taxed on your utilities, heck your even taxed when you die.

You want to stimulate the economy then loosen tax burdens. In the short run they will lose but in the long run they will get more because people will be out buying things and buying houses and traveling and doing all kinds of things that will be taxed.

·
MEDIUM PIMPIN!!!
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It depends on how the "Sales Tax" is set up.

In most states, the tax is charged on goods purchased in that state for use in that state. Why should "I" have to pay for government and infrastructure in a state that I have no intention of ever visiting and/or using their services?

Cross state sales is no new phenomenon. Mail order has been around since, well, mail. Fingerhut, Sears, Monkey Wards, JC Penny, etc. were selling things this way long before Al Gore even thought of inventing the Internet, actually before Al Gore was even born. The only difference was that you had to mail in your order and payment, and later on, with the advent of consumer credit, phone it in.

The internet has just made it easier, instantaneous and allows for better comparison shopping, thus better deals for the consumer.

I wouldn't have expected THIS subject from someone who has an Internet sales site.
Actually Alan, this is why I bring up this subject. By purchasing out of state, you are helping another states economy and not supporting that of your own state. So you kind of answered your own question. For example...... If everyone in California purchases from out of state, its a double whammy (sp?) for the state of California in loss of of revenue for business owners in the state of California and the state doesn't recieve the tax money.
I own a brick and mortar as well as internet and I see where this is a bad deal on the internet side for our states economy.

Mr. Obama does...
You can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which hand is fulfilled first.:p

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Mr. Obama does...
Everybody that gets food stamps and is a 3rd generation wellfare family with 5 kids by 5 different fathers should be issued a shovel and a meal ticket for a good days work !................. (not really) just venting............ All the guys that play by the rules and get bludgened by the tax man have to wait in line behind some L Z Mo Fo buying lottery tickets with money they didn't work for.............. Actually I don't have any answers and on the 15 of every month it is tax day for me................. Today was a typical mad scramble !!!!!!.................... PEACE !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
We have a winner!!!!! Nice post
What your proposing is another way to tax us when we found a way around it. How about the government stop spending money frivolously? Our forefathers put together a great country and it has been screwed up beyond belief. I won't go into anything else, I will stick to the topic. They setup "no taxation without representation". That has been murdered.

And come on by the time you spend your paycheck how much goes to taxes? Let's see the company you work for was already taxed on their earnings. Your taxed on your earnings that you got from them. Your taxed when you buy something (except for something big like your house that you get taxed every year instead of just once) your taxed on your utilities, heck your even taxed when you die.

You want to stimulate the economy then loosen tax burdens. In the short run they will lose but in the long run they will get more because people will be out buying things and buying houses and traveling and doing all kinds of things that will be taxed.

·
MEDIUM PIMPIN!!!
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What would the tax rate be? The seller's? The buyer's? Split?
Should we hire about a thousand new gov't workers to track and audit this?
Do you know the tax rate for every county, and add the special rates for some locations? We could pay gov't workers to keep us updated whenever there is a change...:)sphss
How will you get me for out of country buys?
What if all the sellers just go to Ebay? Craigslist?
We could hire a bunch of gov't employees to check these sites daily...
As I said before, the tax split would be simple and probably integrated into every internet site as a modification through software. Nobody would have to be hired to govern this, it would be turned in with your taxes at the end of the year like any business. If there is a change, it would be updated in the mod on your site. As for out of country, the buyer still pays duties which goes back to their govt ;) Why would people need to be hired to check out these sites daily?

Answer me this then............ Why do we have taxes?

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
So should I expect an extra charge for the Uggs I ordered the old lady for x-mas????:)bulb:D

Thanks for the boots btw, correct color, good choice on the size, she loved them. :)devil

1 - 20 of 105 Posts