Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just ran across this online... looks like I'll be taking I-40 to Lake Mead on Wednesday.

Interstate 15 to close for roadside blasting
Associated Press - June 29, 2008 2:34 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Motorists heading for Las Vegas Tuesday or Wednesday mornings should delay their trips.

Caltrans is closing Interstate 15 at Mountain Pass while construction workers blow up roadside rock faces for a widening project.

That means traffic will come to a standstill at the desolate desert interchanges between Baker and the Nevada state line for more than an hour.

With temperatures expected to near 100 degrees, Caltrans is advising travelers to either delay their departures or to wait out the closure at roadside businesses.

·
skiing Parker since 1960
645 Posts
Had some friends that left the ranch here in Winchester this morning headed back to Vegas. Just called, said No problems as of yet, very little signage of delays for tomorrow.

·
Lil' Hellyun
3,238 Posts
Are there any times posted for this closure? We will be driving through there early on Wed. am....probably around 8:00 or so....?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are there any times posted for this closure? We will be driving through there early on Wed. am....probably around 8:00 or so....?
Some construction could delay your drive between Las Vegas and California.

A blasting operation is scheduled adjacent to I-15 on July 1 and 2.

This will require a temporary closure of the north and southbound sides of the freeway with the assistance of the California Highway Patrol.

The contractor will set up, blast, and clean up the debris between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.

For the safety of the motorists, Interstate 15 will close just north of Bailey Road and south of Nipton Road during the blasting. BE PREPARED TO STOP.
Drivers should anticipate some short-term travel delays in the morning when the freeway is closed for the blasting operation.

It is going to be hotter than 100 degrees, so you may want to delay your trip during those closures.

If you are traveling through the Mountain Pass area, please give yourself plenty of time and PLAN AHEAD.

There are locations to the south in Baker and to the north at State Line where you can fuel, eat, or shop while waiting for the blasting to be complete.

Caltrans reminds drivers to always SLOW FOR THE CONE ZONE.

·
Lil' Hellyun
3,238 Posts
Some construction could delay your drive between Las Vegas and California.

A blasting operation is scheduled adjacent to I-15 on July 1 and 2.

This will require a temporary closure of the north and southbound sides of the freeway with the assistance of the California Highway Patrol.

The contractor will set up, blast, and clean up the debris between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.

For the safety of the motorists, Interstate 15 will close just north of Bailey Road and south of Nipton Road during the blasting. BE PREPARED TO STOP.
Drivers should anticipate some short-term travel delays in the morning when the freeway is closed for the blasting operation.

It is going to be hotter than 100 degrees, so you may want to delay your trip during those closures.

If you are traveling through the Mountain Pass area, please give yourself plenty of time and PLAN AHEAD.

There are locations to the south in Baker and to the north at State Line where you can fuel, eat, or shop while waiting for the blasting to be complete.

Caltrans reminds drivers to always SLOW FOR THE CONE ZONE.

Thank you....anyone really know Caltrans' ability to stay on schedule?...Will it really be between 8-10 or could it be earlier or later....just wondering.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thank you....anyone really know Caltrans' ability to stay on schedule?...Will it really be between 8-10 or could it be earlier or later....just wondering.
I was thinking the same thing. I have a feeling these times are an estimate.
I might just hop on the 40 and then hit the 93

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Naw, you guys just take the 15, we don't need the extra traffic on the 40....:p

·
HUNG Member
678 Posts
Wow...misread that for a moment! I thought Cajon Pass was going to be closed! :mad: But, it's all good....game on!

bignet

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
If you do get stopped for the blasting you can take the Nipton exit to the 95. You will come into Vegas via Boulder City and Henderson.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you do get stopped for the blasting you can take the Nipton exit to the 95. You will come into Vegas via Boulder City and Henderson.
The blasting is actually before the Nipton Exit. (if you are coming from So Cal)
Once you pass the 40 interchange you are pretty much locked in. So you could only use Nipton if you were coming from Vegas going back to So Cal.

I said screw it and left So Cal last night and got into Vegas about midnight. The construction had already started at Mountain Pass. It was down to one lane on both sides and the traffic was moving at about 10 miles an hour for 5 miles or so. There was lots of construction activity for 10:30 at night. It is probably going to be pretty bad today and tomorrow. I would avoid this area if you can.

·
Lil' Hellyun
3,238 Posts
Any info for today....? I really hate to divert all the way via the 40. If the wait is an hour or less, it is still probably better to wait rather than drive so far out of the way. Thoughts? How far beyond the 40 does the construction begin? I was thinking it was after Baker....

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any info for today....? I really hate to divert all the way via the 40. If the wait is an hour or less, it is still probably better to wait rather than drive so far out of the way. Thoughts? How far beyond the 40 does the construction begin? I was thinking it was after Baker....
After doing the math it's only going to add about an hour to my trip by taking the 40 out to Kingman, and picking up US 93 to Temple Bar. That works for me and that's what I'm going to do. Don't feel like rolling the dice and cooling my heals in Baker for several hours.

There are some other options depending on where you are going... but I have never driven these roads, and don't know the conditions. I'm just going off what Google Maps has.

Take 15 to Kelbaker Road, to the Kelso Cima Rd., to Morning Star Mine Rd., To Nipton. West goes to the 15, East goes out to the access road (Ivanpah???) that parallels the 15.

If you keep going east Nipton will become the 164 Joshua Tree Hwy and end in Searchlight where you pick up US-95

Also Cima Rd connects with the I-15 north of Holloran Springs, and south of Mountain Pass

·
Lil' Hellyun
3,238 Posts
After doing the math it's only going to add about an hour to my trip by taking the 40 out to Kingman, and picking up US 93 to Temple Bar. That works for me and that's what I'm going to do. Don't feel like rolling the dice and cooling my heals in Baker for several hours.

There are some other options depending on where you are going... but I have never driven these roads, and don't know the conditions. I'm just going off what Google Maps has.

Take 15 to Kelbaker Road, to the Kelso Cima Rd., to Morning Star Mine Rd., To Nipton. West goes to the 15, East goes out to the access road (Ivanpah???) that parallels the 15.

If you keep going east Nipton will become the 164 Joshua Tree Hwy and end in Searchlight where you pick up US-95

Also Cima Rd connects with the I-15 north of Holloran Springs, and south of Mountain Pass
Wouldn't it be quicker to take the 40 to the 95 cutoff before Needles and head to Henderson that way?

·
Don't have a member-duh!
279 Posts
Wouldn't it be quicker to take the 40 to the 95 cutoff before Needles and head to Henderson that way?
Kingman is flippin' far....I think you would want to go on 95/Searchlight? I have come back from Vegas to Needles that way....pretty drive through all that cactus and stuff.....you come out by that big dry lake bed...can't remember the name of the street...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts