Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow jet boaters,
I'm new here and to jet boats, from Alabama, anyone else from the southeast.
I would like to get alittle help before I end up making an uneducated decission on buying this jet boat. I found this boat on craigslist for 600. It is setup for a BBC it has all the engine mounting plates and everything else needed to put an engine back in it. Supposedly all it needs is an engine. I was told it is a 1979 20' stinger. That is all the seller knows, and said that is all it has on the title. I have not been to inspect this boat (going tomorrow). Can anyone tell me anything about it, or about stinger jetboats? Also can anyone identify the jet drive by the pictures? In doing little research I found that there are boats with full stringers and short stringers, some where the engine bolts straight to the stringer and some with aluminum rails. I'm not sure what this boat has yet. What should I pay speacial attention to, I know to inspect the floor, transom and stringers if there accessible. I dont know what to look for on the jetdrive, how to inspect it or what to look for. I know the boat needs seats someone put automotive seats in it. Boat comes with trailer and everything for 600. I want to get into jet boating as a fall/winter project looking forward to building another engine. Would appreciate help from you guys. Pictures are attached. Thanks JBM

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Pump looks to be Berkeley JC with a place diverter on it. The pump is probably worth $600 so long as it's not smoked.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Pump looks to be Berkeley JC with a place diverter on it. The pump is probably worth $600 so long as it's not smoked.
Non Split Bowl. Only WoRth $600 With The New Style Place Divertor. I Would Have To Hesitate Before I Bought Anything I Couldnt Drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do i inspect/test the pump, I want to check it but really dont know what to check?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I bet it's got heated seats.

Seriously, keep looking. Someone that does not belong working on boats has molested that hull.:))ThumbsDwn

·
Registered
692 Posts
Do you say that because of the seats or do you see something else?
I'm sure it needs to be torn apart and gone thru. Maybe those seats are there to draw your attention away from something else. Steering wheel looks rusty like its been sitting for a while. Check those cables out while your at it.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
How do I know if the pump is smoked, and what is a diverter?

See if the jet turns freely and without noises at the shaft spline with little resistance , look thru the removed cleanout cover and up thru the intake at the impeller from below to get a basic visual on the jet drive , The only real way to know what condition the jet is in is the "performance" when operational or disassembly , The boat looks decent but I will have to say , harsh as it sounds and with due respect , all the seats would have to go , they look out of place and wrong , also bear in mind boats in general are very weight sensitive and those babies alone gotta weigh a ton Tom

ps "the diverter" refered to is the additional up and down trim feature at the end of the jet, in general terms it alone if complete is worth north of $500+ even in the used market
Jet Boat Performance, Place Diverter Jet trim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

See if the jet turns freely and without noises at the shaft spline with little resistance , look thru the removed cleanout cover and up thru the intake at the impeller from below to get a basic visual on the jet drive , The only real way to know what condition the jet is in is the "performance" when operational or disassembly , The boat looks decent but I will have to say , harsh as it sounds and with due respect , all the seats would have to go , they look out of place and wrong , also bear in mind boats in general are very weight sensitive and those babies alone gotta weigh a ton Tom

ps "the diverter" refered to is the additional up and down trim feature at the end of the jet, in general terms it alone if complete is worth north of $500+ even in the used market
Jet Boat Performance, Place Diverter Jet trim
You guys have been absolutley helpful thus far, I really appreciate your helping a jet boat dummy here. Possibly the fastest response of any forum ive been on for any topic.
I completely agree about the seats. To me when I look at the boat now I dont even think about the seats because they will be coming off and in the dump before the boat ever hits the water. My worry is I dont know much about jet boats and I want to do the best I can at inspecting this boat. I think at 600 its a pretty good deal even though I will have to redo the interier and get an engine. But that is the fun part. What about the stringers, full vs long is it easy enough to just look at them and know which it has. Should I stay away from short stringers? And should I stay away if it doesnt have the aluminum rails for engine mounting? If the pump requires a rebuild how much are we talking about, and I dont half a** anything so if it needs rebuilt I will go all out on the rebuild. Not talking about upgrading just a complete rebuild, and is that pump worth rebuilding? Also where can I find the clean out cover? Sorry for so many questions but its vital to try and get as much info as possible before I go look at the boat. Again I really appreciae your time and knowledge

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
You guys have been absolutley helpful thus far, I really appreciate your helping a jet boat dummy here. Possibly the quikest response of any forum ive been on for any topic.
I completely agree about the seats. To me when I look at the boat now I dont even think about the seats because they will be coming off and in the dump before the boat ever hits the water. My worry is I dont know much about jet boats and I want to do the best I can at inspecting this boat. I think at 600 its a pretty good deal even though I will have to redo the interier and get an engine. But that is the fun part. What about the stringers, full vs long is it easy enough to just look at them and know which it has. Should I stay away from short stringers? And should I stay away if it doesnt have the aluminum rails for engine mounting? If the pump requires a rebuild how much are we talking about, and I dont half a** anything so if it needs rebuilt I will go all out on the rebuild. Not talking about upgrading just a complete rebuild, and is that pump worth rebuilding?
Suspect the seats could bring some big bucks on the ebay section for "boats that runs over 100 mph" category , also suspect that boat is of "motor box" construction (partial stringer) vs full stringers , a bit less desirable than full stringers regarding rails and mounting this is typically based on application, Horse power and your budget Re the 600 seems like an OK price depending on what your working toward Pump overhauls kits range from around $300 and up , depending on what the jet needs Tom

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought my first boat for 600 bucks also. What a learning experience that was. Some things to look for, transom rot, stringer rot, floor rot, overall paint condition, and check all cables for dried out and broken plastic. The steering wheel should turn fairly easily as well as the nozzle and diverter controls should operate easily. Crawl under and look for damage to the hull. Take a flash light and visually look up the intake and inspect the impeller while someone spins the shaft. Cables can replaced easily but the can get spendy if budget is tight. Jet pumps can be replaced or rebuilt but again pricey. I personally hate fiberglass work so for me, any rot is a deal breaker. I would have to recommend that after you look at it. Leave it and sleep on it. Rebuilding my first boat was a wonderful experience but got expensive with all the nickel and diming. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Someone mentioned to me that the boat looks like someone tried to "cap the boat" anyone know what this mean. There point was the boat needs alot of body work.

·
Registered
673 Posts
There are helpful honest responses and then there are the SPEND all your money responses.

After spending some time here, I have noticed that if its not a $10,000 boat that has a build thread to go with it, its a POS to many.

There are also alot of people that CANT fix things themselves. If you enjoy working on things then there is nothing wrong with a project boat.

First we need to ask you a few questions.

How did you get interested in buying a JetBoat? Have you been looking for one and then seen this one as an option? OR Did you just happen to see this one and say, "damn thats cheap, I could own a jetboat for only $600 and put it together easily!".

Are you a chevy or ford guy? Can you build/locate an engine for cheap? If you werent interested in a jet boat till you seen one so cheap, then dont start looking for $5K boats just cuz these guys cant see past the seats.

I dont think its a bad deal at all, IF IF IF IF IF You dont spend a fortune getting it going or drop it off at a shop. In that case you will end up with a bad investment.

I would not run from that boat at all. If it not rotten, and comes with mounting hardware it could be running cheap.

I buy cheap boats all the time and fix them to sell to buddies. They all want a jetboat after taking them for a ride, but dont want to spend $6-9K on one. But they have no problem buying a 2000-2500 boat.

No need to start a life long build or restore that thing, just put it back together and have FUN. If its not what ya exactly want, then ya can sell it turn key and make a few bucks and then buy a nicer boat if you like.

Just the diverter is worth $500 EASY and FAST. Thats what I call a bail out sale item. If the ol lady is ready to kill ya for spending the rent on a boat, then JUST ONE part can be sold for the price of the whole investment.

Too many people get a super baddass bling Boat for the first time and then get rid of it after ONE season. Just get a simple CHEAP boat and learn if you even like the hobby and want to progress in it or move on to another hobby.

Just my .02

·
Registered
673 Posts
When looking at cheap fixers I have TWO requirements.

CHEVY power or mounts and headers/exhaust.

Berkeley pump and diverter.

If its not a berk/dom ITS JUNK. Period. Its not worth it to change in a cheap boat. BERK or nothing.

If its missing the mounts and exhaust its gonna get pricey, FAST. Even used exhaust (200) used diverter (500) used bbc mounts (300)
Thats 1000 in parts and still no engine.

But if it has all that and you can find a used engine for 500-600 then you could be on the water for less than 1500, I think. There are always a pair (100-300) or full interiors used (200-600) here all the time.

We just got this 1974 SkagenJet off CraigsList for $600. Missing engine and headers. All mounts and other parts were there. In ONE weekend me and my buddy Rod had it on the water. He had a SBC and a SBC headers. All we had to buy was nuts/bolts/hoses.

Its not a perfect boat. Its NOT a great handling boat. Its not a restored boat, but its a FUN boat and he can sell it for 2500-3500 IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doesn't seem like too bad a deal. If there's no rot and the pump spins free it might be o.k. I did notice there are no fuel tanks in it (unless there's a bow tank). That could add a pretty big chunk of cash to getting it going again.
It dose have a bow tank. How can you tell is has no leaks from the pictures?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts