Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience unlocking an iPhone to be used on the Verizon network? Is this possible, or a scam? I've heard that this can be done and I've also heard that it can't and that people saying that it can be done are just trying to scam you. Any experience here?

·
Islander Transient
1,839 Posts
Does anyone have any experience unlocking an iPhone to be used on the Verizon network? Is this possible, or a scam? I've heard that this can be done and I've also heard that it can't and that people saying that it can be done are just trying to scam you. Any experience here?
I don't think it will work because AT&T/Cingular and T-Mobile use sim cards and are on a GSM network and I "think" Verizon is on a CDMA network. Ironically its like a Mac and a PC, two different platforms with different hardware supporting them.

But I don't really know. All I know is my 3Gs should be here tomorrow :)devil

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I don't think it will work because AT&T/Cingular and T-Mobile use sim cards and are on a GSM network and I "think" Verizon is on a CDMA network. Ironically its like a Mac and a PC, two different platforms with different hardware supporting them.

But I don't really know. All I know is my 3Gs should be here tomorrow :)devil
Chipster27 is totally correct, the carriers work on different networks. Also, if the iPhone is unlocked you won't be able to use a lot of the functions and apps because they're tied into the AT&T network, like the GPS.

Seems like you have 2 choices: 1. Pay the exorbitant fee to get out of your contract and get AT&T service or 2. Get the Verizon equivalent (but not quite so good) of the iPhone (LG Dare).

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Gotta wait till next year, Iphone is supposed to be availible for the Verizon Network....I am also waiting for this. What ever you do, do not get the new Black Berry, that thing is a POS!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys

Unfortunately I was forced to switch to Verizon a few month back when I moved. AT&T didn't have coverage where I moved too, so they let me out of my contract. I have the LG Dare and in my opinion it's the biggest pile of crap phone that I've ever had. I just really want my iPhone back and I had heard that they can be unlocked, but what you guys say makes total sense about the different networks. Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait until I move again. Thanks for your input.:D

G

·
Gotta wait till next year, Iphone is supposed to be availible for the Verizon Network....I am also waiting for this. What ever you do, do not get the new Black Berry, that thing is a POS!

Lets be clear on this.

The Blackberry Storm is a POS. Even with the update last week it still sucks. Slower than slow. It flips out all the time. Plug the charger in and try to figure out how to get the clock screen to go away.

I will say this, it boarders on being a really bitchin phone. But its like putting a 4 banger in a Corvette. Its like a partial fail. :)grn

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Lets be clear on this.

The Blackberry Storm is a POS. Even with the update last week it still sucks. Slower than slow. It flips out all the time. Plug the charger in and try to figure out how to get the clock screen to go away.

I will say this, it boarders on being a really bitchin phone. But its like putting a 4 banger in a Corvette. Its like a partial fail. :)grn

Yup and when I did the normal upgrade feature on the phone it wiped out my entire system/phone #'s!!!!!! :mad: Happened to a co worker as well....POS!

·
Islander Transient
1,839 Posts
Chipster27 is totally correct.
Wow, I almost never hear that...
Also, if the iPhone is unlocked you won't be able to use a lot of the functions and apps because they're tied into the AT&T network, like the GPS.
I have a friend that unlocked and jailbroke theirs. You can do a ton of cool stuff with the graphics/icons/themes when you jailbreak it.

Not that I condone or support this, but here's some more info (for reference only):
http://jailbreakerjoe.com/Why_jailbreak__.html

http://iphonethemeviewer.com/

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The iPhone that I have is the 2G 8GB and it's a year old, but only used for about 7 months. It's in a protective plactic shell, so the phone is in excellent condition. I've never had any problems with it and it's never been wet. I looked on Ebay and Craigslist and it looks like this phone sells for anywhere between $200-$400 as it's the version that can be unlocked. If anyone wants it I'll take $200 for it.

·
MEDIUM PIMPIN!!!
1,459 Posts
I don't know why everyone hates on the Blackberry. Yeah my pearl likes to wipe out my call list every once in a while........and won't take an incoming call while I'm making an outgoing one (drops them both). Other than that, I love my BB!!!

·
Islander Transient
1,839 Posts
I looked on Ebay and Craigslist and it looks like this phone sells for anywhere between $200-$400 as it's the version that can be unlocked. If anyone wants it I'll take $200 for it.
Mine is the same one, and I've heard the same thing about them. I'm blown away by it because you can buy a new 3g (with a contract) for $99. I guess the difference is that you can unlock and jailbreak the 2g.

G

·
I don't know why everyone hates on the Blackberry. Yeah my pearl likes to wipe out my call list every once in a while........and won't take an incoming call while I'm making an outgoing one (drops them both). Other than that, I love my BB!!!
I think I liked my Pearl better than the Storm.:D
The Pearl wipes out the call list because it runs out of memory. If you pull your battery 1X a day it won't do that. That was the fix given to me by Verizon/Blackberry :)sphss

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Mine is the same one, and I've heard the same thing about them. I'm blown away by it because you can buy a new 3g (with a contract) for $99. I guess the difference is that you can unlock and jailbreak the 2g.
You will be able to jailbreak the 3gs soon also. www.modmyi.com

I wont however, I'm happy with mine as it is. Much faster than the first gen Iphone I replaced. :) Cell coverage is better too, so they must of made some sort of change from the 1st and 2nd gen to this new 3rd gen. My moms 2G has 1 bar at her house, and I was getting 3-4 bars in the same spot.

My wife has the BB, its always running out of memory and you dont really know it till you find out your missing TXT messages.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,238 Posts
Chipster27 is totally correct, the carriers work on different networks. Also, if the iPhone is unlocked you won't be able to use a lot of the functions and apps because they're tied into the AT&T network, like the GPS.

Seems like you have 2 choices: 1. Pay the exorbitant fee to get out of your contract and get AT&T service or 2. Get the Verizon equivalent (but not quite so good) of the iPhone (LG Dare).
I had the LG Dare for two days, sent it back as unusable. ended up with the VZ6900, not a great phone, but passable. Nowhere near as good as the iPhone.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I know that you guys like your phones and all that but all I want my phone to do is call someone and for someone to be able to call me back. I don't understand all the hub bub about "special wallpaper" and all that shit. Just let me call someone and not drop the call every 10 minutes. Ok let the flaming begin...:|err:D:D

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.