Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New iphone 3g-s comes out on the 19th. I'm thinking of upgrading (i have the original) Its showings its age, not only from scratches but its freezing up, its slow as $hiat and I can hardly hear the speaker blah blah blah. Also the thing i really like about the new one is its tethering... I think i can hook this up to my laptop and run the internet on the laptop. I can do away with my home internet plan, get the net while driving down the road or at the lake.
Any thought on this, I'm not a tech guy at all. Is this tethering thing what I think it is?

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Not sure but I also have the first gen and cant wait to upgrade. My wifi part quit working and will only ring if I leave the screen on 24x7 so the batteries dont last long. Was my own fault, dropped it way too many times at work. lol

Not sure on the tethering part.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have not seen any information pertaining to the phone being able to tether.

Here's what I do know. The proccessor on the new iphone is faster. The camera is now 3 megapixels and has an autofocus feature in it. The phone will be available in 16 and 32 gb versions. Both versions will be offered in black or white. I have a conference call later today that should give me more information then I need.

You can preorder the iphone now at any ATT store. The cost is 199 for the 16 gb and 299 for the 32 gb. ATT stores will be opening at 7am on the 19th for customers who pre-order their phones. Stores will be open to the general public at regular hours for people who want to purchase the phone ona first come first serve basis.

My employees placed several orders yesterday. The process only takes a couple minutes to do. You must either be eligble to upgrade or purchasing a new line of service to get the 199 and 299 price. Otherwise the early upgrade price is 399 and 499.

Hope this helps.

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not seen any information pertaining to the phone being able to tether.

Here's what I do know. The proccessor on the new iphone is faster. The camera is now 3 megapixels and has an autofocus feature in it. The phone will be available in 16 and 32 gb versions. Both versions will be offered in black or white. I have a conference call later today that should give me more information then I need.

You can preorder the iphone now at any ATT store. The cost is 199 for the 16 gb and 299 for the 32 gb. ATT stores will be opening at 7am on the 19th for customers who pre-order their phones. Stores will be open to the general public at regular hours for people who want to purchase the phone ona first come first serve basis.

My employees placed several orders yesterday. The process only takes a couple minutes to do. You must either be eligble to upgrade or purchasing a new line of service to get the 199 and 299 price. Otherwise the early upgrade price is 399 and 499.

Hope this helps.

Apples website says it can tether... if its true, (you would think it would be since its on their site). Could it replace my home internet plan?

·
Registered Parker Allstar
635 Posts
I also heard the 3rd gen is going to be able to receive picture messages (mms). Any truth to this?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Tethering may or may not be a good replacement for your home internet. On the current data plans there is a 5GB cap on internet access. If you go over the cap you start getting billed for your usage. If the cap would also apply to tethering plans then I would not suggest replacing your home internet with it.

You also need to make sure you have great reception in your home. Your internet speed are going to very greatly depending on your signal strength. I know we're rebuilding the current infrastructure to run 3G on a frequency that should be able to get good coverage into brick homes and basements that can not currently get signal.

If you can manage to keep your usage under 5GB with the new 7.2 mbps 3G speeds that sucker should be just as fast as your broadband at home now.

Iphone 3.0 does support MMS functionality. Apple did however state that MMS may not be launching until later this summer.

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tethering may or may not be a good replacement for your home internet. On the current data plans there is a 5GB cap on internet access. If you go over the cap you start getting billed for your usage. If the cap would also apply to tethering plans then I would not suggest replacing your home internet with it.

You also need to make sure you have great reception in your home. Your internet speed are going to very greatly depending on your signal strength. I know we're rebuilding the current infrastructure to run 3G on a frequency that should be able to get good coverage into brick homes and basements that can not currently get signal.

If you can manage to keep your usage under 5GB with the new 7.2 mbps 3G speeds that sucker should be just as fast as your broadband at home now.

Iphone 3.0 does support MMS functionality. Apple did however state that MMS may not be launching until later this summer.

5GB cap? I though it was unlimited data, I thought I saw that on a bill even. I do have good reception in my house. I do not use the internet in my house very much at all, thats why i would like to cancel my current internet plan and use the phone when needed.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
OK Toby... This is the one for you. It's got everything you asked for.

Seriously, the new 3G S iphone looks awesome.
If you have 15 minutes here is a link to Apple's site and be sure to watch the Guided Tour: http://www.apple.com/iphone/

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Apples website says it can tether... if its true, (you would think it would be since its on their site). Could it replace my home internet plan?

No teathering on ATT&T, but other networks will have it. AT&T might come later.

I am thinking of moving from Verizon, but its a hard decision because of the netowrk.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I made the switch from Verizon. It was a tough decision. Check out your area of use. Verizon is rated the best network overall and I did go to the network with the least bars in more places (AT&T lies) but the iphone is worth it IMO. I've learned the bad spots and just put up with the reduced coverage.
Bottom line - it the decision of iphone vs best network coverage.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
OK Toby... This is the one for you. It's got everything you asked for.

Seriously, the new 3G S iphone looks awesome.
If you have 15 minutes here is a link to Apple's site and be sure to watch the Guided Tour: http://www.apple.com/iphone/

LOL.....thanks. but Mr Jobs said to wait untill he returns to the office. better is coming. :p J/k would LOVE to have a new I-phone. not in the $$$ cards right now. Did Verizon get these yet?

·
Boat Nut
550 Posts
I made the switch from Verizon. It was a tough decision. Check out your area of use. Verizon is rated the best network overall and I did go to the network with the least bars in more places (AT&T lies) but the iphone is worth it IMO. I've learned the bad spots and just put up with the reduced coverage.
Bottom line - it the decision of iphone vs best network coverage.
Ditto to what he said!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The coverage is getting better. We spent billions last year on new towers and are going to spend even more this year.

The big problem ATT faces is the current frequency we run on in urban and suburban areas which is 1900 mhz. The frequency works well in areas with a lot of buildings because the signal reflects off of the buildings and travels further. However, the signal can not penetrate well which provides poor in building coverage. As we speak ATT is installing 850 mhz switches on every cell phone tower they have. In the past this was not possible because the FCC would not give them a license to run both frequencies. Also, the towers themselves are having the bandwidth capacities doubled and tripled. This will result in improved coverage. All new towers being built are also 850 mhz. I don't know how it is in California but here in the Denver market we've been lighting up a new tower every other week for the past few months now.

The other problem with supposed network isssues is that they aren't network issues at all. A lot of the issues are related to the devices themselves. Both the Blackberry Bold and the first iphone 3g use a chipset from a company called infineon. The chipset is a POS and doesn't seem to be able to maintain a call when the phone swiches from 3G to EDGE or vice versa. Apple worked out most of the problems with the iPhone by updating the software. The Bold still has problems. Blackberrys answer to the problem was launching a new phone (the curve 8900) and not making it 3G wich I think is a bad idea IMO. If Blackberry doesn't step it up they're not going to be around much longer. I haven't confirmed yet but supposedly Apple is no longer using the ifineon chips in their phones.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I switched over from Sprint after being a customer with them for many years to ATT just to have an Iphone last November. The coverage is actually better than I thought it would be from ATT, even get full bars in Dove Springs while camping.. I can remember my first cell phone was with ATT and I would get a lot of dropped calls. I've only had a few dropped calls these days with the iphone. To me, the only drawback to the Iphone is that it's only available from one provider .. I would love to see other carriers have the iphone and see some competition out there for the phone to see prices come down. I'm gonna wait a few months for the 32gig 3g-s..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I switched over from Sprint after being a customer with them for many years to ATT just to have an Iphone last November. The coverage is actually better than I thought it would be from ATT, even get full bars in Dove Springs while camping.. I can remember my first cell phone was with ATT and I would get a lot of dropped calls. I've only had a few dropped calls these days with the iphone. To me, the only drawback to the Iphone is that it's only available from one provider .. I would love to see other carriers have the iphone and see some competition out there for the phone to see prices come down. I'm gonna wait a few months for the 32gig 3g-s..
I would not expect to see a price cut no matter who carries the iPhone. Apple is the one setting the price. Believe it or not we pay Apple $567 for the small phone and $667 for the big phone. It is the largest subsidy we've ever offered on a handset.

As for the exclusive going to someone else.. I hope we keep it as long as possible. That exclusive means job security for me :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I dont understand the IPhone craze. Its definitley the coolest phone ever built but they dont work....at all. I have Verizon and I drop maybe 1 call a year and I get coverage everywhere. The guy I work with everyday has an IPhone and I bet he drops 15 calls a day. half the time he has to use my phone to finish conversations with clients. He even upgraded to the new 3G a while back and its the same deal. He has to walk outside our office if someone calls him. Like I said the phone is amazing but the service here in Phoenix just flat doesnt work. I hope its better for some of you guys in cali. I wouldnt own a phone that dropped 1 call a day much less 15. I always wonder what the poeple we are doing business think when he has to call them 4 times in a row to finish a conversation.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I dont understand the IPhone craze. Its definitley the coolest phone ever built but they dont work....at all. I have Verizon and I drop maybe 1 call a year and I get coverage everywhere. The guy I work with everyday has an IPhone and I bet he drops 15 calls a day. half the time he has to use my phone to finish conversations with clients. He even upgraded to the new 3G a while back and its the same deal. He has to walk outside our office if someone calls him. Like I said the phone is amazing but the service here in Phoenix just flat doesnt work. I hope its better for some of you guys in cali. I wouldnt own a phone that dropped 1 call a day much less 15. I always wonder what the poeple we are doing business think when he has to call them 4 times in a row to finish a conversation.
Must be an area deal, cause I've had my Iphone for two years now and I've maybe dropped a hand full of calls total with it. Best phone I've owned.

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After nearly two years with the iphone it has never dropped a call. What it does do sometimes is take 20 tries to actually connect and make a call. It seems like this happens when either an email / text /voicemail is trying to come into the phone. Cause i'll give up after 20 tries and then one of those gets downloaded to the phone...

DannyH does will att have the tehering? A few posts ago someone said they were not going to allow it, or at least not for a while?

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Customer price gouging
Unfortunately, if you're a current AT&T or Sprint customer, your upgrade options are both expensive and confusing. Current AT&T/iPhone 3G owners will be able to purchase the iPhone 3G S at the announced price only after fulfilling an 18-month requirement with AT&T. However, certain customers might qualify for an "early upgrade price" in which you'll pay $399 for the 16GB 3G S and $499 for the 32GB 3G S. If you don't want the two-year contract, you'll need to pay the full price, which is $599 for the 16GB 3G S, $699 for the 32GB 3G S, and $299 for the 3G model. Likewise, Sprint will charge its current customers $299 or $375 for the Palm Pre depending on how long customers have been with Sprint. In other words, if you're a current AT&T or Sprint customer you're better off waiting until you qualify for a discount or staying with the phone you have now. Unfortunately, these price hikes are common amongst all wireless carriers and not just Sprint and AT&T. We recommend contacting AT&T and Sprint directly to find out your upgrade options.
Winner: Verizon & T-Mobile customers

Way to go! this doesnt apply to me thankfully I have the antique version and have had it for 2years. But still, come on.

At&T
Lets reel in new customers and phuck our existing ones! Once we phuck you over for at least 18months you can then get back in line for discount and another phucking!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts