Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know a lot about them. Slow in getting up to speed with this technology. I have a little Creative Zen but looking to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I don't know a lot about them. Slow in getting up to speed with this technology. I have a little Creative Zen but looking to upgrade.
I vote for IPOD. Yeah there are probably arguments for other things being better but... Ipod is the big thing and Apple is designing other things that are the hot ticket that work just like them such as the Iphone and such. You can get any kind of accessory you want pretty much anywhere, Itunes is easy to use (although the proprietary .aac files kinda suck) and cars a being made to integrate with Ipod. Nobody advertises Zune compatibility if you get my drift. For ease of everyday life the Ipod is the ticket.

But no matter what you get... Anything has gotta look good on you. :)

·
Lavey Me Alone
1,417 Posts
Google: "Ipod vs Zune" .

That's what I did, and I chose IPOD, but that was when Zune was pretty new.

RTJas :D

·
The Grand Wizard
2,912 Posts
I have never been a big Apple guy. But, the IPod started it all and still is the best functioning and looking IMO. Apple is really booming with the addition of Windows as an OS, Iphone, Macbook, IMac, Ipod, it just goes on and on they are fresh.

·
Maxwell Smartass
353 Posts
I just got a new 80gb Zune, the screen is twice the size of the ipod, I love it. The zune is less popular so there are no software modifications for it, with the ipod if you are tech savy at all you can install a custom linux firmware on it that has some cool features, i'm just waiting for that to come around for the zune.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I am torn myself. On one hand seems everything integrates the IPOD, but I not a fan of itunes for transferring the music which i get from Amazon MP3.:)devil

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
I was conflicted as well, but that was six IPod's ago. More cases, interfaces, plugs, chargers etc... are made for the IPod than anything else, and it actually integrates and is controllable by the head units that I put in my truck and boat. Meaning, you don't need to use the IPod to control it. Plus, you get digital sound out of it if it is interfaced, and a far poorer quality of sound if you use the headphone jack.

When you use the audio jack, it comes out of the little itty bitty overloaded amplifier circuit in the Ipod/Zune whatever and gets distortion added to the signal. If you come out the "bottom" it is pre-amplified and considered line level output. Far higher quality.

Itunes is easy to use... probably the best audio software out there in fact. The trick is... save it to your hard drive as an mp3, retain it as an mp3 and just have your ITunes library reference it. That way you have your mp3s still, and also your converted Itunes mp4 format. Double the space required, but space is cheap these days.

Just my .02

·
The Grand Wizard
2,912 Posts
Itunes is easy to use... probably the best audio software out there in fact. The trick is... save it to your hard drive as an mp3, retain it as an mp3 and just have your ITunes library reference it. That way you have your mp3s still, and also your converted Itunes mp4 format. Double the space required, but space is cheap these days.

Just my .02
I agree here, that is exactly what I do. I only use ITunes to rip CDs and dump stuff onto my IPhone and IPod.

Also, space is cheap. I just bought a 1 TB External HD for $300.

·
Still Boatless :-(
552 Posts
I was conflicted as well, but that was six IPod's ago. More cases, interfaces, plugs, chargers etc... are made for the IPod than anything else, and it actually integrates and is controllable by the head units that I put in my truck and boat. Meaning, you don't need to use the IPod to control it. Plus, you get digital sound out of it if it is interfaced, and a far poorer quality of sound if you use the headphone jack.

When you use the audio jack, it comes out of the little itty bitty overloaded amplifier circuit in the Ipod/Zune whatever and gets distortion added to the signal. If you come out the "bottom" it is pre-amplified and considered line level output. Far higher quality.

Just my .02
I agree.....all good points by Froggy!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I've had both, but gotta go with the Zune. Drag and drop and better screen. speaking of drop - don't do it on either !

The Ipod Nano is awesome, might pick up one of those.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts