Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised this hasn't hit the board by now, or I missed it....I just rolled in from Irvine. I can't give all the particulars, but the "real K boat King" lived up to his screen name. (imagine that?)....The strange part was, Gordy driving the Joey Grose powered K5, barely edged out Tony, driving the Pfaff powered K69!!! I think the margin was less than a second, and our own Rick King was right there in the final computations laying down a terrific set of laps in the final late this afternoon. The infamous Dave Bryant received the "RattlecanLou" award that will have to be seen to truly get the whole effect and meaning. (Good ol RCL, always the giver in the true sense of sportsmanship)...It should also be noted, that, from my understanding, it was a "winner take all competition", Gordy relinquished the total prize money back to those that put it up and competed today.....A class act all the way, as usual... It was a great show as these boats made their laps on a rather short course for K boats, but most of the drivers really ran them "out the back door" on the final straightaway. Tony and the Pfaff powered K69 set top speed @ 123 MPH, with the K5 and Rick King (K?) running in the high 1 teens down the final straight. There was an issue with loose plug wires on the K5 just before the final, but Gordy noticed a wire hanging loose after a few people were looking it over????....Tony in a Pfaff powered boat, and Gordy in a Grose powered boat was kind of a switch, but from the beach it appeared they both drove their socks off in an effort to win. There were several other Ks, Wayne's beautiful K50 was a perfect example of how a K is suppose to look on the water, but fell a little short on the lap times....Remember, most of these Ks are just river toys that haul ass. Billy's boat sure looked as though he might claim the top speed, but fell a little short of Tony's K69 blast of 123 MPH in the final. I'm sorry if a I can't give more boat numbers and drivers as they all ran hard and put on a great show.......Hmmm, loose plug wire on the K5????............And that RCL trophy is really off the hook...........Maybe Dave Bryant will post a picture for all to see...........Ray

·
Registered
16,521 Posts
the only thing i heard (negotive)while i was there was someone needed a pa system or a bull horn letting everyone know..what was going on speed wise and times..drivers ect..but a great time was had.....;)

Rick King was right there in the final computations laying down a terrific set of laps in the final late this afternoon.

MY HERO.....the man the legend....For i am Rick king bitch"

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Rick's the man!!!:D:D
the only thing i heard (negotive)while i was there was someone needed a pa system or a bull horn letting everyone know..what was going on speed wise and times..drivers ect..but a great time was had.....;)

Rick King was right there in the final computations laying down a terrific set of laps in the final late this afternoon.

MY HERO.....the man the legend....For i am Rick king bitch"

·
Distinguished Member
5,842 Posts
It was a really good show to attend and the K Challenge was off the hook!! I don't know a lot about K racing, and not taking anything away from Gordy, but it looked like Tony had some trouble in the far turn (forget which lap it was). The boat went really wide exiting the corner. The lap times were so close, that may have been a factor. I didn't get a chance to talk to Tony afterwards to ask what happened... Again, not taking anything away from any of the racers, and Gordy was hauling ass with that Joey Grose HP ;) Lots of cool boats and it was a really great show (even if the weather was a bit sucky). Wish I could have stayed for the Cracker Challenge today... work kinda sucks sometimes.

·
Administrator
11,501 Posts
The competitors as I recall (which may not be accurate btw) lol were...

Tony, K69
Gordy, K5
Rick King
Jack Landers (who ran hard and I thought might win)
Steve Sequeria (sp?) (not in the K711)
Billy B
Ryan (I think?) in the old cone (new number)
Steele's boat (not sure who drove it)
Wayne, K50
Fran Hsu, in her Biesemeyer (first woman ever in K Boat Challenge)

A little side story on Fran, I've known her since the late 70's and worked on her boat (yes same boat) in my speed shop days (Rick and Billy will remember these) before Rex Marine even existed. Fran is very passionate about the boat, and vdrives, and in the old days always had Ronny Bolton do her work. When Ronny passed away she called me and asked where to go for her motor and boat work, I suggested a few including Phaff and they now build her stuff from what I'm told. I know she was a bit nervous yesterday and congrats to her for getting out there and running with the big dogs.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
very hard to belive that jack in the k-27 did not win that thing JUST SAYING :)hand :D lol.
I thought Jack had some of the most consistent laps. Every entry, exit & straight away look identical. Really a pleasure to watch.

As far as the plug wire, there were a whole latta people around the k-5 before Gordy went in, hard to say who it could have been. But it had to be someone who was worried about winning, I mean really worried, worried allata.

·
Village Idiot
3,594 Posts
A little side story on Fran, I've known her since the late 70's and worked on her boat (yes same boat) in my speed shop days (Rick and Billy will remember these) before Rex Marine even existed. Fran is very passionate about the boat, and vdrives, and in the old days always had Ronny Bolton do her work. When Ronny passed away she called me and asked where to go for her motor and boat work, I suggested a few including Phaff and they now build her stuff from what I'm told. I know she was a bit nervous yesterday and congrats to her for getting out there and running with the big dogs.
Mike, thanks for the info about Fran. It was fun watching her run as I was sitting next to my friend (who is a female) and explaining that there is no reason a woman can't get out there and have as much fun as the boys. It sure was fun to watch. The only let down was that I did not get to meet more people from the site. Maybe next time.

What a great event. Once again, thanks Dave for putting this on.

Paul

·
Fastest member
524 Posts
weak hp

That is the best way to describe the the runs. Tony was fighting the weak horsepower given to him by Gordy. Not at all fair.
listen dick bag, his hp was so weak he had top speed with pfaff power, the same power that makes your boat finish a race, now who SQUATS TO TINKLE. i think alotta of us know now.:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
The King is hard to beat
After seeing his first run (Rick King) I was telling a friend before the second run this guy wont break 95 mph. He went out there and did a 117 mph pass and I believe a 118. Watching it from where the crowd was it was hard to tell. Second round I was on dock behind radar gun. The capsuled blue boat hit top speed 123mph like mentioned but seemed to lose a little time in the turns.

·
Registered
66 Posts
listen dick bag, his hp was so weak he had top speed with pfaff power, the same power that makes your boat finish a race, now who SQUATS TO TINKLE. i think alotta of us know now.:D
As a first time bystander I would have to say Horsepower did not matter for overall time. It was how fast they could make the turns and power back out of them.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Count to ? and turn, short course

As a first time bystander I would have to say Horsepower did not matter for overall time. It was how fast they could make the turns and power back out of them.
All the Ks were hauling ass out there. Some "sounded" better than others, some "looked" faster than others. Some of the water was shitty, some great... Bottom line, it was Gordy's experience, and Grose power, that put the K5 in the winner's circle. I've watched Gordy drive these boats for over 2 decades and IMO, it doesn't get much better than the way he "massages" any boat through the corners. (Dave Bryant is another that seems to be "at one" with whatever boat he is driving, and the Ol Master, Dave Rankin has shown lately he still has the "touch")... The K69 was clearly faster down the straights, but Gordy made up the time in the corners.

When you stop to think that Burley is only a week away, these active APBA circle racers put an awful lot on the line wringing these boats out for pure fun and entertainment knowing these engines are grenades with the pin pulled.........

Thanks to all that participated in this Irvine show. It was fun being around all these beautiful boats and not having any duties of my own.......Ray

·
Red Blooded American
15,874 Posts
The competitors as I recall (which may not be accurate btw) lol were...

Tony, K69
Gordy, K5
Rick King
Jack Landers (who ran hard and I thought might win)
Steve Sequeria (sp?) (not in the K711)
Billy B
Ryan (I think?) in the old cone (new number)
Steele's boat (not sure who drove it)
Wayne, K50
Fran Hsu, in her Biesemeyer (first woman ever in K Boat Challenge)

Mike, That was Davey Bryant driving Steele's boat but they were fighting an ignition and/or fuel problem. I heard they went through 4 mags and changed pumps as well. Too bad, as it could've added another very tough competitor. I know, as I believe I saw the winning times on the yellow sheet and later that day, Davey was within a second and a half of it in his "PS 91" boat (unblown) according to our watch. We timed two laps.

Gordy's corners were a very pretty sight and Tony in the 69 were really making some Wheaties although it came down to a combination of driving and power. There was lots of both there Saturday.
We'll have to purchase Jerry's awesome video (with expert commentary) to back up our statements.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.