Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Cocoloco
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:notsure: Recently a lot of, lets say, experienced gentlemen like myself have started buying flat bottoms to do the five o'clock beer cruises on the river. I literally drove into one in a cul-de-sac, lost, in LA a couple years ago and bought it for $200.00, nice trailer, new tires, all the gear and mounts for a BBC along with the pinks. Let it collect leaves and rain in my back drive way for a while (2 years). While I rebuilt what I thought would be a real collectors item, one of four ever built Tahiti 22 Offshores. Ha! Should went on a month long drunken gambling spree in Vegas with the money. Since I have talked to several guys who have eaten their lunch on boat restoration. So when I decided to have a five O'clock beer flatty I says to myself says I, " I'm not going to lose my ass on this deal like the last deal." I traded and sold and wheeled and dealed this for that and so on. I now have a rebuilt stock 396 375HP with a single holley, a v-drive, my garage white urethane paint job with red ghost pearl over it and aircraft lines where they show. Painted the trailer nice white and found some spinner hub caps at the salvage yard one day. Pinche' freo huh? Jeff at Havasu polishing has been awesome doing all the old aluminum parts for me for a great deal, more talking and story telling than work and money have gone on really. Butch at Premier Hot Rods was a big help, he salvages gauges and such from old boats, he had the oil press and tach to match up for me, great guy, great price too. A&B supply guys were awesome on the aircraft stuff, big helps. Joey DiCucci has had all the little parts for old flats and more great advice than you can imagine. Next I'm taking out the back seat and making a full width cooler. Nobody wants to sit next to those headers and I don't want them to. This is me and my honeys wet Corvette, built for two and beers. So to answer my own question, NO! At this point in time I have a whopping $1,250 in my flatty, plus about a hundred hours. Its all white with all red trim and no, I ain't afraid of rattle cans. The best part, everyone will walk right by a Magic to come see it. Why? It's a cool ass, what the river was about, lay down, loud and smelly flat bottom. That's WHY!!! I'll get some pics next week. Fun right?

You guys are awesome and I couldn't imagine this thread would be so much fun, thanks for jumping in and I will look forward to all who want to join in. Cocoloco

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
In my opinion anytime your looking for a project and Tahiti is tagged to it...MISTAKe. Just me...and fire away if you want.

If you don't try and make a show boat out of one of these you can do it cheap with patience and some ingenuity..and the internet. It helps to live where you live also...just the freight will kill you where I live...

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
That is a flatty that sits in the driveway and your buddies stop by a few times a week after five when they get off work and drink beers. So what to do with the empty beer cans, throw them in the boat of course? Duh!! :)devil:yes::yes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
National Debit Flatty

In my opinion anytime your looking for a project and Tahiti is tagged to it...MISTAKe. Just me...and fire away if you want.

If you don't try and make a show boat out of one of these you can do it cheap with patience and some ingenuity..and the internet. It helps to live where you live also...just the freight will kill you where I live...
So far I have incurred the national debit building our new flat, even with all the begging, borrowing, and stealing and no, it's not going to be a show boat, just a good race boat. Lou is right about the freight, it's killer!!!

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
I've always said, there's nothing more expensive than a free/cheap hull/boat. Build a few boats and you'll know why well set up boats cost what they do...

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
So far I have incurred the national debit building our new flat, even with all the begging, borrowing, and stealing and no, it's not going to be a show boat, just a good race boat. Lou is right about the freight, it's killer!!!
you just screwed up. You mentioned race boat. To build a race boat is one thing. Wait till you start racing it. Then open up that can of worms. Do get me wrong I love the race deal but just get ready to donate a couple of bucks
J

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Really....

My hat's off to you Cocoloco. I can't even do a trailer, done well, for less than $1200.00. Everything is ten times what it once was at least. As for a race boat, I've been told by former racers that there's only two ways you leave boat racing, broke or on a stretcher. Congrats on your project though, sounds fun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you just screwed up. You mentioned race boat. To build a race boat is one thing. Wait till you start racing it. Then open up that can of worms. Do get me wrong I love the race deal but just get ready to donate a couple of bucks
J
We raced our Kurtis a couple of times and we're well aware of the cost however, it's well worth it! The Kurtis was a lake/race deal, the Cole will be pretty much race only seeing a few weekends at the pond just for sport.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Boat. noun,
definition.
A hole in the water.
Surrounded by wood into which one pours money.

If you have figured out another way of doing it congrats. I have not found it yet. :)
John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Boat. noun,
definition.
A hole in the water.
Surrounded by wood into which one pours money.

If you have figured out another way of doing it congrats. I have not found it yet. :)
John
NOOOO SHHHIITTTT TO THAT!!!

B: Break
O: Out
A: Another
T: Thousand

I think I have upwards of $2500 in just my trailer alone. However, the memories and the enjoyment I have building this boat in my little two car garage with my wife and son knee deep and dirty the entire time with me as well as all the help from my uncle Fred, there's no way you could put a price tag on the sentimental value I have with this project. It's posts like this that makes me love this site so much. It's reassuring to know there's people out there with the same sick obsession.

·
Registered
338 Posts

I never buy a boat named after a Polynesian Island!

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Money Lost....Had Fun Though

If I had the $$ I lost building a Di'Marco Runner, Sanger Mini, 32' Ford 3-Window, and a 27'Zipper roadster, I could pay cash for a
new Sting Ray (supercharged model). Truth is, given the chance,I probably would do it all over again. :duh:

·
Cocoloco
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are so right!

A Tahiti was a bad choice. But I talked to a guy in Tennessee after I lost my ass on the thing, who did museum restorations of boats. He sent me some pics. OMG brutha, this guy might be as good as I have ever seen. He called because he was losing his ass on the CV-21 from the Bond movie. Had a small fortune in it and couldn't get an offer over half of what he had in it. He told me he was done to the done with the boat restoration thing, he had lost money on the last two projects and only the museum restorations paid any profit and not enough. I refit a 58' Garden Ketch in San Diego in 1992, soup to nuts, me and my son. We did all the work from bottom paint to my son in a bosun's chair at the top of a 80 mast. I approached like I did all the old cars I restored for profit. Keep it clean, keep it mechanically sound and don't over invest. I spent $25,000.00 to restore it and we sailed it for six years out of San Diego. I sold it for a profit and bought investment property then. Was it the electronic windlass, glass cockpit wonder of the bay, hell no. Did people hang off the sides of the harbor cruise boats and take pictures of the gleaming teak and white ketch bristling with full sails through the harbor, oh yeah. Even Dennis Conner complimented me on the boat as we were playing in the harbor during America's Cup trials. It comes down to you pay for presentation or preservation of capital, doesn't matter what you are talking about.

·
Cocoloco
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never said I was immune...

If I had the $$ I lost building a Di'Marco Runner, Sanger Mini, 32' Ford 3-Window, and a 27'Zipper roadster, I could pay cash for a
new Sting Ray (supercharged model). Truth is, given the chance,I probably would do it all over again. :duh:
I can remember a back motored 240" Don Long car that I poured enough money through to buy a nice home here in Havasu. Or that 77 Silver Anniversary Edition Corvette I got all weak in the knees over or the blown 33 3 window Vic. No I wasn't immune to having exactly what I wanted, damn the dollars full speed ahead, I just turned 65 and realized I had my smarter periods in life. LOL

·
Cocoloco
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Five O'clock Flatty...

I'm new here so please go easy on me as I ask what a 5 o'clock beer flatty is...?
Well despite the inevitable sniping I knew I would get over not investing a small fortune in a flatty, and therefore insulting the purists, a five o'clock flatty is kind of a Parker Strip thing. If you live close enough and have time there are guys who have flatties that soak em late afternoon, enjoy flat water, rip up and down the river then have some cold beers. But that is certainly a small group as you have to be a retired or semi-retired guy with the time and health to do so. ANY flat bottom is a project. As I said I have restored a 58' Garden Ketch with my son, for a little fiberglass potato chip this @#%$# is a lot of work. So to all you purists of "Dumping Dollars to Be the Scene"RealityReality I apologize if I have somehow broken the flat bottom code.

·
Cocoloco
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is the absolute truth friend...

Ain't that the truth David !!! Well worth the price most are asking for a done boat.
I watched a guy sell a world class flat for a huge loss last year. The guy who bought it should have danced all the way home. I have a friend who is about to have a new flatty built. Because he has the money and I know the guys building the boat can use the work, and they are top notch, I kept my mouth shut. I didn't scream, "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR F-IN MIND?"

·
Cocoloco
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Show it!

J
Showing cars, boats or whatever is far, far, far cheaper than racing them. Been there, done that, got the video, t-shirts and the what was I thinkin tattoo on my ass. But like the rest of the guys here, I wouldn't trade a minute of the experience for anything.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts