Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to get on plane with one motor on a twin screw boat and what were the results. I've always wondered if say for example you were 20 miles offshore and one motor took a dump would you try it or chance it to get back?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to get on plane with one motor on a twin screw boat and what were the results. I've always wondered if say for example you were 20 miles offshore and one motor took a dump would you try it or chance it to get back?
Don't think you could get on plane however limping back at 10 knots is not a problem.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
A good friend of mine broke a gimble on one drive on Mead in his 40 Scarab with twin 502's.

Granted it is a heavy boat, it would move but wouldn't get out of it's own way with only one motor.

Beats floating or waiting for help though.

Brian

·
Registered
120 Posts
no. the inactive prop creates too much drag.

·
Registered
863 Posts
It is extremely difficult, and probably impossible for most of us. Here's a story told me by Betty Cook (KAAMA). They broke a motor in an offshore race and were many, many miles from the pits. But they had a "come home prop" for their speedmasters. John Conner (throttles) jumped overboard and took off the 4 blade cleaver and installed a two (2) blade! With this they could get the rpm's up on the good motor, eventually got on plane and drove home.
Over the years, I've lost motors, drives, thrown blades from props, and have tried many times to get on plane on both V's and cats. Jumped wakes, waves, turned into and away from the dead side, never got on plane. I'm sure someone will come on who was successful, but the story above is the only one I've heard so far...

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
I've heard of it happening, however it would seem that the extra stress you're putting on the good drive/engine might be enough to risk ending up with nothing to get ya back in. Have come back from Catalina before on one engine... sometimes it's actually nice to slow down, sit back, and enjoy the scenery instead of trying to see how much time you can shave off from your last trip. :D

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I've heard of it happening, however it would seem that the extra stress you're putting on the good drive/engine might be enough to risk ending up with nothing to get ya back in.
Yea, that too.

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
Too much weight in the stern for one motor.

However, I knew someone with triples that got his boat on plane when he was down a motor (trimmed up the dead motor).

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Too much weight in the stern for one motor.

However, I knew someone with triples that got his boat on plane when he was down a motor (trimmed up the dead motor).
...but wouldn't that be.....twins?

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
...but wouldn't that be.....twins?
Yeah...but down a motor...depending on how you look at it...lol.

A guy once told me that if you lose an impeller on twins, you can still get on plane. You just use the good motor to get the boat moving, then fire the second and climb on plane as fast as possible. Supposedly, the water coming in the intake at 50MPH (and up) will be enough to cool the engine...even without an impeller.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Well shit, what if it had four?

Laughs.

Brian

Yeah...but down a motor...depending on how you look at it...lol.

A guy once told me that if you lose an impeller on twins, you can still get on plane. You just use the good motor to get the boat moving, then fire the second and climb on plane as fast as possible. Supposedly, the water coming in the intake at 50MPH (and up) will be enough to cool the engine...even without an impeller.

·
Registered
760 Posts
My Experience...

The first time I ever raced a twin engine outboard, for OMC, I was completely shocked that I could not plane with one engine...I race Evinrude from 1966-76 and the only time I could plane a twin with one engine is when one engine lost the gearcase completely...

Later when Dino Kotsonis and I raced a 38 Scaarb with twin Evinrude V-8's, we blew and engine off Huntington and I climbed out on the nose trying to get the boat to plane, but try as we could we never quite got the mother on plane...

I was thinking that with todays horsepower planing would be possible...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I have not been able to get back on plane after loosing one side in 2 different boats but I have kept going after loosing one and stayed on plane but it wasn't worth it as the drag and torque of one side dragging the other drive burnt the drive fluid and caused bearing failures in the remaining drive. Made it in on plane at 60 MPH but it was costly!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Not impossible, just depends on the boat.

A buddy in a 45 Cigarette with twin staggard (large) power stopped during the miami to Bahamas race last year after blowing a blower belt. After realizing the problem boat got up on plane with one motor and ran 60mph back to Miami.

Can my boat do it....No. And I wouldn't try. Too hard on the drive/motor.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Used to be standard practice in offshore racing. Take the prop off the bad drive, and put a lower pitch prop on the good drive. I have made the change a couple of times. (lucky to be the small guy at the bottom of the food chain) It is not easy to change a prop in the ocean with the boat bobbing around, life jacket on and not dropping tools to the bottom, but it can be done.:D

·
Nuclear Powered
1,281 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts