Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 escalade with the 6.2L 2wd and 6-speed trans. is this a reliable powertrain for towing my 23' sleekcraft from southern cali to havisu? how are the new 6-speed transmissions as far as towing reliability? anything I should know? it pulled the boat home no problems but it was only 50 miles, havisu is like 800 miles round trip for me.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I have a 07 escalade with the 6.2L 2wd and 6-speed trans. is this a reliable powertrain for towing my 23' sleekcraft from southern cali to havisu? how are the new 6-speed transmissions as far as towing reliability? anything I should know? it pulled the boat home no problems but it was only 50 miles, havisu is like 800 miles round trip for me.
LS-series motors are high-revvers. So, expect to HEAR it while towing. You'll be down to 2nd or 3rd on a hard hill when loaded with people, AC (hot day), full fuel, and whatnot. But it will do it just fine.

I highly suggest the Predator tuner, Flowmaster or equivalent cat-back exh, AirAid or equivalent intake system, and (optional) throttle-body spacer. I did all of this to my father's dually (identical to mine, but 6.0 gas) and it is a COMPLETELY different truck. Tows significantly better than before and he wishes he had done the mods sooner. It's no match for my truck while towing, but it's not meant to be, either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will buy a predator,it already has a hooker exhaust and will be purchasing a intake and spacer, thanks for the reply.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Will buy a predator,it already has a hooker exhaust and will be purchasing a intake and spacer, thanks for the reply.
The reason I say the spacer is optional is - I have never really believed in them, and I know most here don't either. However, I have not tried one by itself, either. I just know the total four components work very well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
next season i will be adding a supercharger to the mix, also my suspension is lowered 2/3 and have 26" wheels, do I need to put the stock wheels on for a long haul or are the 26's ok?

·
New here
4,219 Posts
next season i will be adding a supercharger to the mix, also my suspension is lowered 2/3 and have 26" wheels, do I need to put the stock wheels on for a long haul or are the 26's ok?
Personally, I wouldn't add the SC. Locks you into premium fuel 100% and adds ALOT of heat during towing. If you're gonna tow the boat alot, you will end up getting a diesel in a few years anyway, so you would only have the blower for a year. Then you would "give" it to someone, as you would never recoup the cost. Been there, done that.

Leave that money for a diesel later. Several on here have done exactly what you are doing and ended up with a Duramax later.

If you want the ULTIMATE tow rig (other than a Freightliner), there is a company in CO that takes 3/4T Escalades and Suburbans and makes them Duramax conversions. Totally turn-key and all OEM parts. So, that is "having the cake and eating it too".

The 26s should be fine. I have towed Beer30 with my wife's '04 Yukon, 2/3 drop, 22s, 5.3L. Towed it from Scottdale to Bakersfield without one issue. I wouldn't put that kind of weight behind it OFTEN, but once or twice is no biggie. It's about 9000 pounds trailering-weight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW duramax escalade, I kinda like that idea alot! will look into it, plus I could use the 6.2L in my camaro :)grn and 9,000 thats the tow weight of your boat?

·
New here
4,219 Posts
and 9,000 thats the tow weight of your boat?
That's what I conservatively figure....It's 5300 for the BARE boat, so fluids, anchor, skis, FUEL, etc, etc, I figure the boat is easily 7000. The trailer HAS to be 2000.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I pulled my 25 Daytona (probably 4400lbs + 1200lb trailer) with an 07 AWD Gigalade for a couple years. It pulled fine, but my gas milege was about 7 or 8 MPG. My 04 Navigator rocked though. It pulled stronger, better gas mileage, and the air suspension worked well. Wish I had kept that one.

Oh yeah, the Gigalade dropped the transmission 200 miles after I bought it new. After they replaced it, I never had a problem.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ya, the SC isn't the answer... the HP isn't the problem, its just that its a very low way for a smaller truck... I would recommend a Diesel powered Chevy, GMC, or Ford F250 or larger... They can pull that boat and you won't even know its there, especially in windy conditions..

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I made that tow for years with a 24' behind a Toyota Sequoia. Then I just started leaving the boat at All Seasons in Needles. Cuts your drive down and at least $120 in gas round trip. X that by 2-3 trips a month. Now I tow with an Escalade from Henderson to Havasu. Not nearly the same grade and it tows way better than the Toyota.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't add the SC. Locks you into premium fuel 100% and adds ALOT of heat during towing. If you're gonna tow the boat alot, you will end up getting a diesel in a few years anyway, so you would only have the blower for a year. Then you would "give" it to someone, as you would never recoup the cost. Been there, done that.

Leave that money for a diesel later. Several on here have done exactly what you are doing and ended up with a Duramax later.

If you want the ULTIMATE tow rig (other than a Freightliner), there is a company in CO that takes 3/4T Escalades and Suburbans and makes them Duramax conversions. Totally turn-key and all OEM parts. So, that is "having the cake and eating it too".

The 26s should be fine. I have towed Beer30 with my wife's '04 Yukon, 2/3 drop, 22s, 5.3L. Towed it from Scottdale to Bakersfield without one issue. I wouldn't put that kind of weight behind it OFTEN, but once or twice is no biggie. It's about 9000 pounds trailering-weight.
Do you have anymore info on the company that does the conversions?
Exactly what I was looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts