Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a Charger forum there was a qoute I want to use here and it goes like this,
"When there are1,2,even 3 players not playing up to thier capabilities or simply not playing good ball thats on them, but when a WHOLE TEAM (and I'm not including a few here because we do have a few that are keeping this teams chances alive)) plays so far below their talent level then its the COACHING PERIOD".
As I have said in the past, if the Chargers lose but do so a manner befitting a well played game then so be it, cant win them all, I understand this. But to take the field and play like this team did against the lowly Raiders (sorry fans) and then on Monday nite against the Steelers looking like Frosh/Soph VS Varsity for 3 qtrs, then I place the blame at the feet of the head coach.
Norv is NOT the answer Mr Spanos but yet we suffer along with his .500 attitude. Sad, just sad and if this team isnt ready for the Broncs then heaven help us because this is the season for the Bolts. I personally think we will win but time will tell, of course we have to contend with the "Turner Curse" NSF

·
Registered
762 Posts
Coaches coach and players play. If these guys don't start playing it's going to be a long year. You could give Jesus a headset and a clipboard and he's not going to do any better if they don't start playing. Their struggles all hinge around the offensive and defensive line play or lack of. You can't give up sacks with a 3 man rush or let running backs get to the 2nd and 3rd level everytime they touch the ball. Not if you expect to win games. Now with that said, I'm not a huge Turner fan either. Are there better guys out there that will be available for next season? Probably. It's easy to blame the coach or the QB when a team is struggling, but there are usually ALOT of other factors that are the real causes.
GO BOLTS:)devil.

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,926 Posts
Not sure why everyone bags on this guy, he went to Washington and inherited a shitty team, Oakland and got an even shittier team and with S.D. he's done at least a decent job. It sucks that L.T. is on the decline and other than Gates they have average recievers, they've been hit with a ton of injuries and alot of draft busts, not his fault he doesn't run the draft. Rivers is and will continue to be an above average QB but with out a qaulity supporting cast they'll continue to be a 9-7 team. Spanos is cheap, remember that.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure why everyone bags on this guy, he went to Washington and inherited a shitty team, Oakland and got an even shittier team and with S.D. he's done at least a decent job. It sucks that L.T. is on the decline and other than Gates they have average recievers, they've been hit with a ton of injuries and alot of draft busts, not his fault he doesn't run the draft. Rivers is and will continue to be an above average QB but with out a qaulity supporting cast they'll continue to be a 9-7 team. Spanos is cheap, remember that.
Just curious here, do you watch many Charger games? NSF

·
100% Pimp 50% of the Time
1,516 Posts
Just curious here, do you watch many Charger games? NSF
I was thinking the same thing.... Norv took over a 12-4 team and managed to make it a .500 team in a few short years.

Ever team deals with injuries. Hell the Patriots lost their QB last year and managed a 10 win season.

It comes down to Spanos. Like I said before they ran Bobby Ross out of town why? Marty why? Why do you think Eli said he wouldn't play for San Diego period... He saw their track record for coaching and wanted no part of it. If you don't think coaching changes teams look no further than.

Denver
SF
Arizona
Saints

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,926 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.... Norv took over a 12-4 team and managed to make it a .500 team in a few short years.

Ever team deals with injuries. Hell the Patriots lost their QB last year and managed a 10 win season.

It comes down to Spanos. Like I said before they ran Bobby Ross out of town why? Marty why? Why do you think Eli said he wouldn't play for San Diego period... He saw their track record for coaching and wanted no part of it. If you don't think coaching changes teams look no further than.

Denver
SF
Arizona
Saints
I don't believe they are a 500 team since he got there but I could be wrong, however you're kinda contradicting yourself by agreeing with NSF but also agreeing with me with re-gards to Spanos. I explained the circumstances of the team and still believe that due to injuries, drafts and decline in players thats the reason not NT.

Also regarding the other teams mentioned, they have all had significant personel changes with the teams as well as coaches.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And your point being?
My point was not being a smart ass, just wondering if you watched Charger games.
I admit to from day one not liking the choice of Norv, and it has to this day irked me that they chose this guy. If in your opinion he is worthy then I respect that, I dont believe many other fans would though.
I cant recall every thing about every game and wont even try to.
What I can say is that this team is headed in the wrong direction and has been since he took over, you place the blame at the feet of the man in charge, no matter what the subject or sport, that just the way it is. Of course JMHO.
I would eat a bucket of crow gladly if this team would turn things around (still wouldnt like Norv though) but cant see that happening. NSF

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi nsf,

i love football season, it brings you out of shell a lil bit :)
I know, I know, then I get chastized by my detractors, again, for speaking my piece, oh well.
Chargers are sort of my passion for the last 32 years or so and I'm not liking what I see Cam so I vent. Yoga dont work anymore:DNSF

·
Will work for Boat
790 Posts
The Chargers have too much talent "on paper" to be a 2-3 team.

Norv's track record, questionable play calling, slow start to every season, plus his reputation of running soft practices, leads me to believe that he's not the answer.

But I also think that AJ Smith is part of the problem as well. He can attract some good on-field talent, but manages to run coaching talent away.

·
100% Pimp 50% of the Time
1,516 Posts
I don't believe they are a 500 team since he got there but I could be wrong, however you're kinda contradicting yourself by agreeing with NSF but also agreeing with me with re-gards to Spanos. I explained the circumstances of the team and still believe that due to injuries, drafts and decline in players thats the reason not NT.

Also regarding the other teams mentioned, they have all had significant personel changes with the teams as well as coaches.
Just last year the Chargers were 8-8 and only got in because Denver tanked and Chargers one the division.

The part I agreed with NSF was about you watching their games. Unfortunately since I live so close to SD they jam their games down our throats. Every year their supposed to be a Superbowl team so they get alot of Sunday night and Monday night prime time games. I can tell you they have the talent but are very poorly coached. They won't fire Norv because the Spanos' are too cheap and don't want to pay the remainder of his contract.

The other teams I mentioned didn't have significant personnel changes unless you consider.

Denver Orton for Cutler an upgrade? Not!

Arizona what upgrade just a new coach unless Warner is an upgrade or fluke

SF same here no superstars especially at QB just a coach Gore and Willis only stars and hell 3-2 isn't setting world on fire but at least Singletary has them playing with heart...

NO Brees has been there for 3+ years now just a new coach.

Chargers
2005 9-7

2006 14-2 Marty's Last year. Ran the guy with a 14-2 record.

2007 11-5 after a 5-5 start

2008 8-8 after another 5-5 start they only made playoffs because Denver collapsed. Denver had the same 8-8 Record but didn't make the playoffs because Chargers had the tie break to win the division.

2009 2-3 is it too early to panic? I think so only so many times can you get yourself in such a whole and pull out. IMO

·
River Rat
337 Posts
2008 8-8 after another 5-5 start they only made playoffs because Denver collapsed. Denver had the same 8-8 Record but didn't make the playoffs because Chargers had the tie break to win the division.
Huh??? The Chargers went 4-8 last year before winning their final 4 games to end at 8-8...

Just Sayin.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts