Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently, past 6 months, seen a number of Prius or other hybird car owners driving around with the windows down and all the occupants or most chain smoking away.

Are they really doing this earth any good? The last one I saw the driver, female, was about 300lbs and the male passenger was about the same.

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
I have recently, past 6 months, seen a number of Prius or other hybird car owners driving around with the windows down and all the occupants or most chain smoking away.

Are they really doing this earth any good? The last one I saw the driver, female, was about 300lbs and the male passenger was about the same.

no - they are just repesenting the gross pullution and "new thinking " lol :)sphss

Still cracks me up the gas miliage these cars get Really isn't that impressive . A diesil v-w is pulling 50 mpg

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Wondering if the Obama stickers on them are hurting their mpg. :D

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Everyone that I know that drives a Prius, all 5 of them, bought it for the fuel economy and or ability to drive in the carpool lane and nothing else.

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An employee of mine worked for Toyota a few years ago and his training was geared to spin the facts.....they say 50+ mpg's are possible......he said yes, with all accessories off and at 40mph. A lie. 30K to purchase yet a civic is 15K and gets 30+ mpg which is about what the Prius gets on the highway with the accessories on. A lie. Studies show that it takes 9-10 years to recoup what you invested into a prius; I have never owned a car that long. The batteries reportedly take more of a carbon foot print to manufacture and dispose of properly than what they magically say you will save in MPGs.

"As a result, the payback time for an all-electric vehicle in the U.S. is about 15 years, and for an extended-range vehicle such as the Chevrolet Volt it would be 19 years, the study finds. "

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20101080335

Not to mention our electrical grid is on the verge of failure due to demand in many areas yet we have not built a nuke plant in 30 years to keep with demand and growth?

I think the whole thing is a scam. Drill here, now and let the technology evolve naturally and not make matters worse because of a sense of urgency of a small minority.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
prius = false economy.

so you get what 30 - 40 mpg with car that if you get into an accident you will be seriously injured or killed, in a normal car or truck you'd walk away from.....

or how about the fact the batteries have to be replaced some time down the line????? just what we need more batteries to dispose of....

or how about the bs mpg thing. perhaps we should look into diesel car, my brother drives an mercedes SUV with a diesel he gets 30 mph on the fwy at 70mph.

BMW has a concept car with a diesel hybrid that gets 63mpg.... now that might be something worth looking into.
Total output from the engine and electric motors is 356hp, and peak torque is 590 foot-pounds (a lot). Acceleration to 100 kph (62 mph) takes just 4.8 seconds and speed tops out at 155 mph. Average fuel consumption is 62.6 mpg

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
An employee of mine worked for Toyota a few years ago and his training was geared to spin the facts.....they say 50+ mpg's are possible......he said yes, with all accessories off and at 40mph. A lie. 30K to purchase yet a civic is 15K and gets 30+ mpg which is about what the Prius gets on the highway with the accessories on. A lie. Studies show that it takes 9-10 years to recoup what you invested into a prius; I have never owned a car that long. The batteries reportedly take more of a carbon foot print to manufacture and dispose of properly than what they magically say you will save in MPGs.

"As a result, the payback time for an all-electric vehicle in the U.S. is about 15 years, and for an extended-range vehicle such as the Chevrolet Volt it would be 19 years, the study finds. "

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20101080335

Not to mention our electrical grid is on the verge of failure due to demand in many areas yet we have not built a nuke plant in 30 years to keep with demand and growth?

I think the whole thing is a scam. Drill here, now and let the technology evolve naturally and not make matters worse because of a sense of urgency of a small minority.
This is so true. We need to invest in our infrastructure as it is going to crap.

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
U

·
0 Posts
We probably agree on more than you might think. I bet we often just assume where the other might stand on an issue just because we tend to judge a book by it's cover.
The few people I know who drive them do so to save on gas around town. Folks are getting near 50 MPG in town.

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The few people I know who drive them do so to save on gas around town. Folks are getting near 50 MPG in town.
But do they you know how bad/destructive/corrosive of a technology the batteries are? How much of a larger "carbon foot print" they are contributing? How much more money it is costing them over all? And that they are contributing to a false since and mindset that they are doing good but the overall net is less or worse than driving a civic?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm starting to hate drivers in their eco cars. I seriously had some fag in a prius cut me off while I was waiting to turn left at a red light. He ran down to the front of the line then picked me to cut in front of. I'm in a lifted f150 on 35's, like really? I wanted to run his shit over. I just said f#$k it and backed off a little, then this asshole waves at me like I was being nice. Guess seeing nothing but my front bumper in his rear window didn't phase him.

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm starting to hate drivers in their eco cars. I seriously had some fag in a prius cut me off while I was waiting to turn left at a red light. He ran down to the front of the line then picked me to cut in front of. I'm in a lifted f150 on 35's, like really? I wanted to run his shit over. I just said f#$k it and backed off a little, then this asshole waves at me like I was being nice. Guess seeing nothing but my front bumper in his rear window didn't phase him.
Liberals value a broken ideology over life.....sad.

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
should have left a carbon foot print over his erodynamicly designed shoe box

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I recall reading that the 'cradle to grave' comparison of a Prius vs Hummer ended up being the Hummer had a smaller carbon footprint!

Carl

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Liberals value a broken ideology over life.....sad.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You assume the drivers are liberals. You assume it's a broken ideology and you assume that thier ideology is more important to them than life. That's a lot to assume.

Here is a fact. Four of the five Prius owners that I know are Republicans. Should I assume that the are hypocritical and value a broken ideology over life? Of course not.

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
What Your Car Says About You....

Acura Integra - I have always wanted to own the Buick of sports cars

Acura Legend - I'm too bland for German cars

Acura NSX - I am impotent

Audi 90 - I enjoy putting out engine fires

Buick Park Avenue - I am older than 34 of the 50 states

Cadillac Eldorado - I am a very good Mary Kay salesperson

Cadillac Seville - I am a pimp

Chevrolet Camaro - I enjoy beating the hell out of people

Chevrolet Chevette - I like seeing people's reactions when I tell them I have a 'Vette

Chevrolet Corvette - I'm in a mid-life crisis

Chevrolet El Camino- I am leading a militia to overthrow the government

Chrysler Cordoba - I dig the rich Corinthian leather

Datsun 280Z - I have a kilo of cocaine in my wheel well

Dodge Dart - I teach third grade special education and I voted for Eisenhower

Dodge Daytona - I delivered pizza for four years to get this car

Ferrari Testarossa - I am known to prematurely ejaculate

Ford Fairmont - (See Dodge Dart)

Ford Mustang - I slow down to 85 in school zones

Ford Crown Victoria- I enjoy having people slow to 55mph and change lane when I pull up behind them

Geo Storm - I will start the 11th grade in the fall.

Geo Tracker - I will start the 12th grade in the fall.

Honda del Sol - I have always said, half a convertible is better than no convertible at all

Honda Civic - I have just graduated and have no credit

Honda Accord - I lack any originality and am basically a lemming.

Infiniti Q45 - I am a physician with 17 malpractice suits pending.

Isuzu Impulse - I do not give a damn about J.D. Power or his reports.

Jaguar XJ6 - I am so rich I will pay 60K for a car that is in the shop 280 days per year.

Kia Sephia - I learned nothing from the failure of Daihatsu Corp.

Lamborghini Countach- I only have one testicle

Lincoln Town Car - I live for bingo and covered dish suppers

Mercury Grand Marquis - (See above)

Mercedes 500SL - I will beat you up if you ask me for an autograph

Mercedes 560SEL - I have a daughter named Bitsy and a son named Cole

Mazda Miata - I do not fear being decapitated by an eighteen-wheeler

MGB - I am dating a mechanic

Mitsubishi Diamante- I don't know what it means either

Nissan 300ZX - I have yet to complete my divorce proceedings.

Oldsmobile Cutlass - I just stole this car and I'm going to make a fortune off the parts

Peugeot 505 Diesel - I am on the EPA's Ten Most Wanted List

Plymouth Neon - I sincerely enjoy doing the Macarena

Pontiac Trans AM - I have a switchblade in my sock

Porsche 911 Turbo - I have a three inch thingie

Porsche 944 - I am dating big haired women that otherwise would be inaccessible to me

Rolls Royce Silver Shadow - I think Pat Buchannon is a tad bit too liberal

Saturn SC2 - (See Honda Civic)

Subaru Legacy- I have always wanted a Japanese car even more inferior than Isuzu

Toyota Camry- I am still in the closet

Volkswagon Beetle- I still watch Partridge Family reruns

Volkswagon Cabriolet- I am out of the closet

Volkswagon Microbus- I am tripping right now

Volvo 740 Wagon- I am frightened of my wife

1 - 20 of 52 Posts