Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe it’s a early 70s hallett v drive. Would it be competitive? Above all else I just want to go fast in a straight line. Is it super heavy and would it take a ton of power to be actually fast? The power limit on an engine I can build is about 800 horsepower what kind of speed could I reach with a mill like that with the right gearing? I’m new to all this
I have attached some photos, any help appreciated

Attachments

·
Village Idiot
3,545 Posts
Without considerable hull modifications you would be right around the triple digit mark. If you used a drag hull (a runner bottom) of good design then with that power number there is no reason 110-115 should not be within reach. Also, a runner bottom would handle the power much better where the Hallett would be much more touchy.

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I should wait until I find something like a hondo sprint? A runner bottom is just a flat bottom right?

·
Village Idiot
3,545 Posts
Flat vs runner

if you look at the cavitation plates on a flat and then on a runner you will see a noticeable difference. Runner bottoms have tunnels that range from .5” deep to 2” deep. These tunnels make them much more efficient and therefore can be faster with the same amount of power. They are also very often considerably lighter than the old boats of the sixties. Do some searches for runner bottom v-drives and you will see that they are the pick for straight line stuff. Now if you really want to go fast on a straight line then I would consider a hydro. Easier to drive and even more efficient with the use of the power

·
Steady Rollin
1,162 Posts
so in your title you mention "racing", are we talking about an actual sanctioned race or just "racing with your buds on the weekend" kinda racing?

The answer to that would play into what I would want as well.

My initial feels about that hull are, most 70's hulls used older technology materials, which were heavier and they tended to be laid up a lot thicker as well. Often the propshaft angle on these older boats were not always the best for performance due to a larger angle at the strut. It all comes down to what you want it for. A fun weekend beater, it would fit the bill. It'll be a money pit though, but all good boats are!

Reactions: fc-Pilot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just racing at the lake on the weekends with my buddies. There isn’t any sanctioned stuff where I live. Thanks guys I think I will look for a runner bottom or hydro

·
Registered
19,916 Posts
lake racin
g i love a true flatty...but fc pilot knows his stuff a runner botttom 3 cav plates with the center lower allows more air under boat ect ect with same engine would be about 10 15 miles an hr faster........

runner bottom

Reactions: sintax

·
Registered
19,916 Posts
tru flatty h
as a single plate sometimes just split in the middle

·
Registered
19,916 Posts
and as paul and sintax...said the old tru flats where very heavy lay up........also a hydro is not a very good lake boat ealy morn or eve glass off ok but a lil chop the hydro will sink def not a weekend boat

·
Registered
19,916 Posts
run my 1965 heavy hydro midweek and eve...........no weekends or holidays.....
DSCN2310.JPG

·
Registered
19,916 Posts
DSCN2311.JPG

·
Registered
19,916 Posts
check out .......dragboatcity.com boats for sale and dragboatsunlimited.com

89 more post to go lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Run as fast as you can from the Hallet. You'll never be happy when a blown Cole runner bottom pulls up to you and leaves you standing still. For better resale try and find a Cole. Canyon and Mako's are fast and well built boat's. My friend had a Hallet hull similar to this one your looking at but it was a jet and it was a big heavy pig.

·
Steady Rollin
1,162 Posts
Run as fast as you can from the Hallet. You'll never be happy when a blown Cole runner bottom pulls up to you and leaves you standing still. For better resale try and find a Cole. Canyon and Mako's are fast and well built boat's. My friend had a Hallet hull similar to this one your looking at but it was a jet and it was a big heavy pig.
I had intentions of posting something similar, but looks like I forgot.

I think you'd likely be way ahead to find a mid 80's to 90's era flat since they're much better built and setup with more modern setups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts