Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never had to shim a starter my whole life untill now,problems all year! might be 2 differnt problems. u-joint noise transfer & starter noise ( possibly fixed already) so how does this look? Auto part Gear Wheel Rotor Machine

Electrical wiring Cable management Wire Cable Electrical supply

thanks turbo wog

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I don't think the gear will engage enough of the fly wheel teeth. Not deep enough into the teeth and not enough engagement. Move the starter closer to the flywheel and adjust in towards the flywheel for better engagement. What the hell did I just say? You can see how on the starter gear how the teeth are rouinding over from not getting a deep enough bite on the flywheel.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pictures but you need to get rid of the shim(s) you have in there now and take another straight on shot.

·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think the gear will engage enough of the fly wheel teeth. Not deep enough into the teeth and not enough engagement. Move the starter closer to the flywheel and adjust in towards the flywheel for better engagement. What the hell did I just say? You can see how on the starter gear how the teeth are rouinding over from not getting a deep enough bite on the flywheel.
i had alot of bad engagements before i shimmed , especially on the otherstarter. not to say this one isn't the culpret for rounding the teeth off.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
here is my starter for comparison. mine owrks great!!

Not sure how much it matters when its at rest more of how far that starter is going to throw that gear.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
FWIW! I have found that some BBC and SBC starter apps. that they do not connect well! That the starter is to far away from the flywheel or flexplate! If the starter has a jumping and grinding clunking sound when turned over it is to far off the wheels teeth and you have to file, grind or machine the face off of the starter base! Good luck! WT:)devil

·
Registered
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I've never had any luck with those little race starters that dont have a nose. Why not use one of these , just as light and no problems.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-...ies?hash=item1c0c798d34&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Oh, and if you buy one of the lifetime warrantied ones from Oriellys you can get it replaced in just about any town you go to, JMO

To me that nose on the auto starters just looks like its beggin to collect water and screw up my starter. I like mine with out and so far has worked great (after I destroyed one flex-plate). IMHO & YMMV

Something else to remember is that those starters have different end gears so you can replace. I tried the one with more teeth and it made my starter sit too far back. Switched it back to less teeth and sits great now.

Same mounting location but just with the other gear.. Compare to my previous pictures and you can see a world of difference.

What a high torque starter does to a worn flex-plate.

·
Plays well with others
64 Posts
You need full tooth engagment or your new flexplate will end up looking just like the one in the pictures by Delemorte. That damage was caused by improper tooth depth and engagement. See the depth of the teeth in the pictures above by Delemorte? That is textbook alignment , make yours look like that one and you will be set.

The teeth of the starter need to go most of the way into the teeth of the flexplate, you are not getting enough depth of tooth bite, which is why the old flexplate shows HALF of the teeth worn off. Delemorte has a decent example of proper shimming, he needs more tooth bite on the flexplate IMO but has the depth set correctly. I like to see at least 3/4 tooth bite to be happy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts