Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Chevy Dealer, really...?
I thought it was a aftermarket pump!
after re-looking at the pump, u are correct...the one u show is a marine HP pump with the vent tube for use in a closed hatch set-up, however, chevy made a HP pump w/o vent for there HP motors back in the 60's & 70's on there 427's & 454's...i have both kinds & they work really well, in fact, the one on my 427 has been there for over 20 years w/o any trouble...unless u rupture the diaphram, i see no need to rebuild it...parts are available from chevy to do so tho...there listed under HP mech fuel pump...i hope this sheds a little lite about the pump :)

FastRat

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
after re-looking at the pump, u are correct...the one u show is a marine HP pump with the vent tube for use in a closed hatch set-up, however, chevy made a HP pump w/o vent for there HP motors back in the 60's & 70's on there 427's & 454's...i have both kinds & they work really well, in fact, the one on my 427 has been there for over 20 years w/o any trouble...unless u rupture the diaphram, i see no need to rebuild it...parts are available from chevy to do so tho...there listed under HP mech fuel pump...i hope this sheds a little lite about the pump :)

FastRat
Not trying to correct you at all, just a little info about the fuel pump vent. For a mechanical pump to be Coast Guard approved it must have a clear vent tube to the flame arrester or top of the carb. The purpose is to be able to see fuel in the tube to let you know that the diaphram has failed and to stop running the engine. With a torn diaphram it can allow fuel to enter the oil pan causing possible explosion. Open or closed engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

FastRat
Thanks for the feedback Fast...I also have a non-coast guard pump that looks like the one pictured w/out the vent tube.
The one above has been on my boat since I purchased it some 10 years ago. The boat in my sig is a 1983 so who knows how much time is on the pump.
Good to know I can get a rebuild kit at a Chevy Parts counter.:))THumbsUp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts