Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hangin' with Kobayashi
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last December I bought at CPO BMW with 39,000 miles on it. Fast forward to today - I was washing the car and noticed that the front end has been repainted. The paint on the lower facia is peeling and looking at fog light there is an overabundance of filler, Bondo, or some other kind.

When I bought this car I was assured by the dealership that the car had no damage other than the curb rash on the rims. Now I find this and I'm pissed. When we traded our Lexus in they noticed that the trunk had been repainted and dinged us for that (it was damaged at and by Cerritos Lexus, who also repaired it). I didn't know it, but all Lexus vehicles have a VIN sticker on all body panels, doors, trunk, hood, fenders, etc., and that VIN sticker was never replaced. That's what tipped them off to the repair.

What are my options, I've had the car for 4 months and 5,000 miles. Do I have any legal recourse since the damage was not disclosed? I know that I didn't buy a house, but I would think BMW would hold themselves up to a "higher standard".

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Last December I bought at CPO BMW with 39,000 miles on it. Fast forward to today - I was washing the car and noticed that the front end has been repainted. The paint on the lower facia is peeling and looking at fog light there is an overabundance of filler, Bondo, or some other kind.

When I bought this car I was assured by the dealership that the car had no damage other than the curb rash on the rims. Now I find this and I'm pissed. When we traded our Lexus in they noticed that the trunk had been repainted and dinged us for that (it was damaged at and by Cerritos Lexus, who also repaired it). I didn't know it, but all Lexus vehicles have a VIN sticker on all body panels, doors, trunk, hood, fenders, etc., and that VIN sticker was never replaced. That's what tipped them off to the repair.

What are my options, I've had the car for 4 months and 5,000 miles. Do I have any legal recourse since the damage was not disclosed? I know that I didn't buy a house, but I would think BMW would hold themselves up to a "higher standard".

Anyone?
Call and ask if they will make good on it. Before accusations and lawsuits start flying, you have to at least aks if they will do something.

·
Hangin' with Kobayashi
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call and ask if they will make good on it. Before accusations and lawsuits start flying, you have to at least aks if they will do something.
That's what I planned to do. But first I'm going to take it to a body shop that's done work for me before and have them look at to see if there is anything else that looks damaged or repaired from any previous mishaps.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Most vehicles have VIN stcckers known as NHTSA stickers, and yes the bear the vehicles VIn. If they anyone uses a replacement piece, it will show "DOT-R".

Also BMW has strict guidelines for certified, so besides the selling dealer, BMW may assist. This could be a fraud on BMW's program if the dealer knew.

·
Live it!
215 Posts
imo,
get the facts on the issue.
Run a Carfax by someone in the biz or your insurance company then take the vehicle to one of the authorized certified body shops that BMW of North America has approved. Don't tell them that you just bought the car a few months ago. Get a couple estimates on the repairs needed (from auth shops) and have them document what they find as the problem. If indeed they agree with your assessment, schedule a meeting with the GM of the dealership and ask how they can resolve your issue. It is possible that the dlr may have purchased from BMW NA as a lease return/ trade-in and had no idea of any damage before certifing and putting on their lot. If you do not get resolution, then send a letter to BMW NA consumer affairs dept with a copy to BAR for final resolution. Do it asap, before any more time lapse.

Best of luck.
just my .02

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
I'll bet 100 bucks they didn't see it when they took it in. Chances are the owner didn't want to pay the dealer ding charge and had a shady body shop do it. I had one, kid hit it. Took it to the dealer's body shop. They painted the front bumper, it hit 120 and the blister's came out. They shot it again, next day it was blistering. 2 days latter, new bumber. once that plastic has been hit, it doesn't hold paint for very long.

I'm sure the person that turned it in will be getting a call. They have to disclose chit like that.

a carfax is only good for repairs over 3k, anything under will not show up. And it may have cost $1000.00 or less to fix, why pay 500 or 1000 for a deductable and have the insurance go up, and have proof of the damage. it's a shady deal by the owner.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Carfax is unreliable. I would PM Ziggy. He used to own a BMW dealership and may be able to steer you in the right direction.

·
Live it!
215 Posts
a carfax is only good for repairs over 3k, anything under will not show up. And it may have cost $1000.00 or less to fix, why pay 500 or 1000 for a deductable and have the insurance go up, and have proof of the damage. it's a shady deal by the owner.
I never suggested to summit to your insurance company.
I only suggested to see if someone can pull a carfax just check in the slight case there may be some documentation noted somewhere on the damage.
The estimates from the BMW Cert Body Shops are not to be turned into the insurance company but to use as 3rd party support that there is a problem with the car and those docs can be used if and when you need to file with the BAR & with BMW of NA.
And yes, I agree Carfax is not always reliable it is just another form of supporting docs in your case.
Good luck.

·
On The Gas
1,428 Posts
Carfax is unreliable. I would PM Ziggy. He used to own a BMW dealership and may be able to steer you in the right direction.
Agreed. CarFax is becoming more unreliable. Most auctions as well as dealers go by AutoCheck now.

www.autocheck.com

I think you can run one vin for free. Otherwise, it's only $14.95 for a complete report for one car. Worth the money to help prove your case if there was an accident.

On the other hand, if the peeling paint is on the bumper facia, it doesn't necessarily mean the car was in an accident. If that paint is peeling, it just means they used a cheap mobile bumper repair guy rather than a real body shop. 90% of used cars that go to the front line have to have their bumpers refinished. A scrape here and a scrape there, need to make it look pretty and presentable.

BUT, if the car did have accident damage and did not disclose it to you, you have recourse and should start with the dealer first. Go from there. Give them a chance to make good. Chances are if they are a reputable dealer, they will. If not, explore other remedies.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
I never suggested to summit to your insurance company.
I only suggested to see if someone can pull a carfax just check in the slight case there may be some documentation noted somewhere on the damage.
The estimates from the BMW Cert Body Shops are not to be turned into the insurance company but to use as 3rd party support that there is a problem with the car and those docs can be used if and when you need to file with the BAR & with BMW of NA.
And yes, I agree Carfax is not always reliable it is just another form of supporting docs in your case.
Good luck.

Um I never said submit it. I said the person that hit it WOULDN'T have submitted it. It would cost them to mush (more spanglish lessons) in the end. lets see what happens tomorrow, shall we.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Car Dudes has it 100% correct, the selling must make it right, so photo everything, and bring it to them. Look at the fastners under the bumper facia, and in the inner fenderwell and fenders. Look for removal, bs fastners, and overspray.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
First I would take it to Carmax and get an estimate of what they would pay you for the car. You could even tell them or show them it has damage.

Then take that report to BMW and show them what they thought the car is worth. Might help your case.

·
Hangin' with Kobayashi
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the car to a couple of body shops, one of them specializes in BMWs. They both said that it was crappy "quickie fix" that car dealers use to make stone chips and scratches go away. There was no evidence of any damage done to the car, all factory pinch welds, rivets, and screws are all in their factory condition.

The dealer said that he will repaint the lower facia again and make it right. I wonder where this guy has been the whole time I've been dealing with all the a-holes a BMW of Monrovia. It was a pleasure to deal with someone who knows what customer service is.

Thanks for all the replies and comments.

KS

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
BMW cpo guidelines were strict but did allow minor damages to be repaired, so long as up to BMW quality standards....that since has changed as far as damage is concerned. Minor paint repairs for scrapes/scratches still ok.
The lower fascia was always susceptable to stone chips and curb damage so sounds like thats all it was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts