Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· a.k.a. HEY YOU
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best time of day, water level wise to run up that way, i did it a couple of year's ago but don't remember that part of the river that well, still don't know if i'll make it up there or not but would rather be safe then sorry.

· Lavey Me Alone
1,404 Posts
You need to look at flow releases for the day and determine the best time. Even then, you really should know the channel. It's shifted a bit in the last few years. In all but the best water flows you can lose a prop coming off plain in the wrong place.

Highest water should be late in the day, but check the flows just to make sure. Good Luck.

RTJas :D

· Willow Valley / Palmdale
555 Posts
I am there every other weekend. I play in that area with a 24 ft boat with an outdrive. I have never hit bottom but seen plenty do so. This year the water has been running low. If you are not familiar with the water up there I would not do it before 1PM. There is a really nasty rock bar in the middle of the channel about 4 miles up from the Needles Bridge.

After you pass the Willow Valley marina it is wide open in the middle to the AVI. Plenty of nice sandy beaches too.

Good Luck

· Ultra 27 Shadow
1,854 Posts
I have made that run numerous times all the way to the dam. Just north of the bridge on the left side there is a sandbar. If that is covered with water it is usually deep enough to run. I gauge off that and the docks at the homes north of the bridge.

Mike

· Banned
72 Posts
past needles

I have been going up there for years and everyone here is right, if you dont know the area be careful..there is a rock bar just before the bridge at avi stay to the ariz side...

Ill bet if you offer a couple of these gys a cold one they will meet you in needles and show you the way that would be my best suggestion

· Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,866 Posts
I would only go that far up after 3ish/4ish if your not too familiar with the area just too play it safe that way there is plenty of H2O and you won't have worries. But use SG and DEMO's advice.

· Lavey Me Alone
1,404 Posts
Just north of the bridge on the left side there is a sandbar. If that is covered with water it is usually deep enough to run. I gauge off that and the docks at the homes north of the bridge.
I gauge it off of one of the beaches at NMP. I know from years of staying there and running it how much sand can be showing below the rocks if I'm ok to run north or not. ;)

· Willow Valley / Palmdale
555 Posts
As you said , waterflow is the key. I thought there was a rockbar by Willow as well or is this the one youre talking of on the left heading north.
yea, once you get past the rockbar headed north you are at Willow Valley Marina. (There is no gas or food there. Just 10 docks and a launch) Pretty much smooth sailing from there if the water is OK. The thing is it is a really bad rockbar. When I launch, around noon most of the time, the bar is exposed. I power arond it on the Arizona side. I have never hit but boy is my butt puckered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.