Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well talked to tom over at jetboatperformance and he was a great guy. probably going to buy some stuff from him but i am just a little excited as this is my first jet boat and i want some more speed. boat is a 18 carribean with a build bbf 466. has a jacuzzi 12wj/b pump and only goes about 53 to 55 mph. i want to run closer to 65- 70 ish. tom said a diverter will help out tramendously but i just wanted to know just about how much. pump looks like it has never been touched so it may be really worn out. any help is appreciated. thanks

2,056 Posts
There is no telling, but it will make for a better ride because you can trim it out. You should pick up speed when you hit the sweet spot with the trim.

If your pump is worn out you might want to start there. More than likely that will be your greatest jump in MPH.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
how much does it cost to rebuild the pump and is there anyone close to me here in Fresno,Ca that can do it?
Well, if you are even slightly mechanically inclined, you can rebuild the pump yourself. They are very simple, not a lot of pieces to them. I rebuilt my own pump and I'm new to boating in general. If you choose to rebuild it yourself it will cost you the price of the gasket kit, a new impeller/wear ring, and a little bit of your time.:D

If you take it somewhere, you have to pay their labor costs, their price on the parts, and you're loosing out on the learning experience and the understanding gained from rebuilding your own jet pump. But, you have the piece of mind of knowing that an expert rebuilt your pump, and you won't have to worry about it for awhile.

Good luck.:)hand

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what parts and pieces are all needed to do this ? do they have a kit type of a deal you can buy and i can do it myself? i am more of an engine guru and am very mechanicaly inclined but like i mentioned, new to the jet boat scene. thanks for the help guys.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
what parts and pieces are all needed to do this ? do they have a kit type of a deal you can buy and i can do it myself? i am more of an engine guru and am very mechanicaly inclined but like i mentioned, new to the jet boat scene. thanks for the help guys.
Here's a diagram of a Jacuzzi WJ pump and a link to the manufacturers website. I'm not sure about a rebuild kit for them, but I know there is the Energizer kit. Tom at JBP would know the answer to that one. I've got a Berkeley, and I know that they make a rebuild kit for them. I'd say that if you end up doing the Energizer kit, that you would need to take it into a jet pump shop that does these because there is probably some machine work or some setup involved, but I'm not sure.

JACUZZI 12WJ

Hope this helps some and good luck.:)hand

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you very much for that. seems pretty easy to work on. i may just bite the bullet and buy the energizer kit and be done with it, for awhile lol. ok now my question is this. what would give me better performance or fun for this summer. an energizer kit or leave it the way it is now and just get a diverter for it?

·
blown mopar
343 Posts
jacuzzi pumps are easy... bought a rebuild kit from tom a at jetboatperformance.. he is a great guy.. told me everything i wanted to know about a jacuzzi pump.. just by rebuilding my pump i picked up 8mph.. i started at the same 53mph... pump rebuild took it to 61mph... then new heads took me to 70mph... then 5lbs of boost took it to 85mph with the same pump i rebuilt 3 years ago.... so it has alot to do with the pump and also the horsepower you put to it... there are other mods for jacuzzi pumps like opening up the bowl exit and the one and only loader grate made for the jacuzzi.... let me know if i can help you.. you can do it yourself.. it was my first pump rebuild too

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jacuzzi pumps are easy... bought a rebuild kit from tom a at jetboatperformance.. he is a great guy.. told me everything i wanted to know about a jacuzzi pump.. just by rebuilding my pump i picked up 8mph.. i started at the same 53mph... pump rebuild took it to 61mph... then new heads took me to 70mph... then 5lbs of boost took it to 85mph with the same pump i rebuilt 3 years ago.... so it has alot to do with the pump and also the horsepower you put to it... there are other mods for jacuzzi pumps like opening up the bowl exit and the one and only loader grate made for the jacuzzi.... let me know if i can help you.. you can do it yourself.. it was my first pump rebuild too
thank you so much for your help. thats basically what i am lookin to do minus the boost lol. guess i should just rebuild it, put a diverter on it and throw some more hp at it. right now the motor is a ford 466, all studded, big cam, but does have stock heads on it. might throw some heads and a little bigger cam in it and she what she does.

1,011 Posts
I adapted a Dom Place Diverter to my Jacuzzi. Without the diverter it ran 14 flat @ 68 mph on the ADBA clocks. With the diverter it ran a best of 12.78 @ 78 mph. Normally it ran 13.0s @ 75 mph. This was in a heavy 72 Kona with about 500hp. It did help the ride in rough water at the lake.

Tim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats what i am looking for. i have more motor than my buddy. he has a boat same length as mine, but has a mild 454 with a berkeley a pump and he pulls at WOT by like 2 to 3 mph. so if i rebuild the pump and put a diverter on it, i will most liketly beat him which i want to do. then i can start throwing more HP at it as see what see will handle. thanks for the info guys. it really is helping

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
thats what i am looking for. i have more motor than my buddy. he has a boat same length as mine, but has a mild 454 with a berkeley a pump and he pulls at WOT by like 2 to 3 mph. so if i rebuild the pump and put a diverter on it, i will most liketly beat him which i want to do. then i can start throwing more HP at it as see what see will handle. thanks for the info guys. it really is helping
Sounds like his pump needs a rebuild too!!! Because he should be able to run faster than 58 mph or so. What kind of boat does he have and how many RPM is he turning? There's no glory in beating a boat with a worn out pump with your fresh pump, that doesn't prove anything.

Place Diverter also makes a diverter for the Jacuzzi WJ pump.
PLACE DIVERTER

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not sure what type of boat it is but he had 6 people in the boat and 2 icechest to my boat with me and one other guy in and thats all. another thing my pump does that maybe you guys can help with is kind of weird. at WOT, after about 10 to 15 sec if feels like the pump starts loosing power or the motor is not producing power, kinda falls off if you know what i mean but if i get out of the motor and get back in it, it feels like the power it back and then it slowely fades away? any idea of what that can be? signs of an tired pump? thanks again guys. really helpfull.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i guess i need to really clarify what speed i am going to via GPS. as the speedo says 50 when i am at WOT and i have a brand new jetski that does 54 and the boat passes it like nothing so maybe i am going faster than what i think. still i want more lol.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
rotflmao, dude you're definately down with the sickness now:)devil prepare yourself to work all the overtime you can get, eat ramen noodles for lunch to to buy that new loader at the end of the month, and pissing your ole lady off cause you'll be spending more time with your boat than her:D

·
Registered
546 Posts
i would suggest the diy method first, the wj has a plastic type wear ring available from noth american for around 30.00 last one i bought, they are held in with 4 small screws and are very easy to change, the first timer should not have a problem. the diverter from place is a true bolt on and a very nice piece, these two items should make a major difference for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rotflmao, dude you're definately down with the sickness now:)devil prepare yourself to work all the overtime you can get, eat ramen noodles for lunch to to buy that new loader at the end of the month, and pissing your ole lady off cause you'll be spending more time with your boat than her:D
well i have had outboards before but never a jet boat and i love it. just another toy to spend money on. i got way to many as it is but i guess the guy who dies with the most toys wins lol. ok last question. if i buy a diverter for almost 700 plus bucks, does it come with everything i need including the cable and lever and everything or is that seperate.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts