Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by Mark Rebilas. Mark is one of the leading sports and motorsports photographers in the country. These photos appeared on the pages of pb magazine following the Phoenix race. Some have probably not seen them though. So here is a link to the page they are on.

http://markjrebilas.com/blog/2008/1...mph-water-isnt-as-soft-as-it-looks/#more-1642

Take a few minutes to browse Mark's site. He and his dad Gil do some amazing work. I can only dream of shooting at that level someday.

Here is a video of the same crash sequence taken by his father Gil from the opposite side of the course.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Definitely high level photography Mike. Was standing right there when it happened. Before the end of the day Mark was selling glossy prints.
Sharp as a tack!!
Would probably have to RE-Fi the house to acquire the lens he used...:)bulb

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
His dad used to shoot the CCS races at Firebird in the mid 90's, his shots are awesome, still have about 6 of his pics that he took when I was road racing.

I emailed Mark yesterday to see if he might be around to shoot the Catalina Ski Race, if he shoots from a heli or one of the lead boats there will be some cool pics.

Mark has won numerous sport photo awards and is highly regarded, you see alot of his photos being used in USA Today front page, sports section.

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,040 Posts
Wow. Incredible photography. Hope James is okay.

·
Precision Craft Marine
1,563 Posts
That is why you do not steer a twin. The boat sponson steered, and he tried to correct it. R. B. will tell you, abort the run before you rudder a twin. You point and shoot, and thats it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
That is why you do not steer a twin. The boat sponson steered, and he tried to correct it. R. B. will tell you, abort the run before you rudder a twin. You point and shoot, and thats it.
Joe,

Is that why that deal bunny hopped the whole way down??

Or at least part of it???

·
Precision Craft Marine
1,563 Posts
Morg, I really cant say that was the reason for the tail action, but i have been around R B's twin enough to know that when those things plant the nose that hard, they tend to steer on the sponson. If the boat is not 98% going straight, you should not make the run. Any Hydro that hikes the tail should not be trying to correct for a bad, mis aligned start. And there will be a million guys coming on here saying they do this and have done this. I have done this, but you really should not . The shut down is the whole ride, and if you watch this video, The boat was heavy on the nose, Why? Could be anything, Power, set up, props and so on. Then, it started to come down the track, pulling towards the right from the start. the driver natrually will steer left. This is when the boat gets upset and pissy. The chutes come out, and the boat comes around. Morg, That is what I see. This is the same way John Hipwell crashed at Merced. The front view filming shows everything. Top fuel hydros have to be 100% right to make a bad ass pass. There are very few top fuel teams that are 100% in all aspects of racing.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I would agree that is one "upset and pissy" boat.

Sacry watching the sequence of events.

Hope he is OK.

Brian

Morg, I really cant say that was the reason for the tail action, but i have been around R B's twin enough to know that when those things plant the nose that hard, they tend to steer on the sponson. If the boat is not 98% going straight, you should not make the run. Any Hydro that hikes the tail should not be trying to correct for a bad, mis aligned start. And there will be a million guys coming on here saying they do this and have done this. I have done this, but you really should not . The shut down is the whole ride, and if you watch this video, The boat was heavy on the nose, Why? Could be anything, Power, set up, props and so on. Then, it started to come down the track, pulling towards the right from the start. the driver natrually will steer left. This is when the boat gets upset and pissy. The chutes come out, and the boat comes around. Morg, That is what I see. This is the same way John Hipwell crashed at Merced. The front view filming shows everything. Top fuel hydros have to be 100% right to make a bad ass pass. There are very few top fuel teams that are 100% in all aspects of racing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
the boat blows the tail off the line plantes the bow, but look at the rolls in the water, you can see the boat bounces on the rolls, you realy see on the slow motions.

·
Pride & Promise
513 Posts
It's amazing what you can pick out in the pictures (oxygen tank, fuel tank, chutes, etc) watching it unfold frame by frame....

great photography of an unfortunate event

1 - 11 of 11 Posts