Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has baffled me for a while now. How is a Berkeley JC bowl converted to a split bowl? Is it just cut off, until you get the right diameter for the adapters? I would think that this would look really funny. Are there any advantages to doing it, over buying a JG or JB bowl? Can I see some pictures of a converted bowl? And about how much does it cost to have it done, and who does it?

Thanks.:D

:)hand

·
northern member
602 Posts
was wondering the same thing myself . there was a picture of one posted on here back a quite a while ago . i'm thinking you have to weld a ring on first then machine the flange as there just isn't the material in the original casting.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
At the time MPD was the place to have the C to G conversions done, it's a lot of work to do the process correctly, so it's somewhat expensive. We had one done about 4 years ago by MPD, cost was in the $450 range, don't remember if that was just for the bowl work or other work done. Today the prices of jet components are relatively cheap compaired to just ten years ago. Today a new style bowl with longer vanes can be bought for just a little more money.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the time MPD was the place to have the C to G conversions done, it's a lot of work to do the process correctly, so it's somewhat expensive. We had one done about 4 years ago by MPD, cost was in the $450 range, don't remember if that was just for the bowl work or other work done. Today the prices of jet components are relatively cheap compaired to just ten years ago. Today a new style bowl with longer vanes can be bought for just a little more money.
What are these newer style bowls? Are you talking about bowls like Aggressor's or AT's? Like this bad ass Aggressor 11 vane.:D

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Not just Aggressor, Dominator, and American Turbine as well.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not just Aggressor, Dominator, and American Turbine as well.
Alright, the only one I forgot to mention was Dominator (and they're made by AT).

But, are there any advantages to getting the conversion, over buying a new bowl.

Thanks.:)hand

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
I think you're splitting hairs in comparing a converted JC to a JG or even a newer AT, etc., etc... I would think for the average non-race jet boat the differences would be minimal.

Now we just need an informed person to tell me why I'm wrong. :)

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you're splitting hairs in comparing a converted JC to a JG or even a newer AT, etc., etc... I would think for the average non-race jet boat the differences would be minimal.

Now we just need an informed person to tell me why I'm wrong. :)
I'm just trying to figure out which bowl would give me the most thrust with my low horsepower, low rpm engine. And having the ability to add and remove hardware, like a split bowl, would be nice too. I need all the help I can get with my small motor.;) I'm just glad the boat came with an impeller that works well on low rpm engines.:rolleyes:

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out which bowl would give me the most thrust with my low horsepower, low rpm engine. And having the ability to add and remove hardware, like a split bowl, would be nice too. I need all the help I can get with my small motor.;) I'm just glad the boat came with an impeller that works well on low rpm engines.:rolleyes:

If you want the biggest bang for the buck, on your pump...Get your impeller race prepped and a new matched wear ring. After that you will need more HP :)grn

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want the biggest bang for the buck, on your pump...Get your impeller race prepped and a new matched wear ring. After that you will need more HP :)grn
My impeller looks like this (see images below), it is an aluminum AB cut of an unknown (to me) make, it started out as an A2 based on the stamping on the back. It came with the pump when it was sent off to be rebuilt (before I bought the boat) and blueprinted. It also has a bronze shouldered wear ring that came with the impeller (I guess) from whoever rebuilt the pump the first time. (I tore the pump down and rebuilt it when I got it, but it had only been run a couple times before the boat was sold, I just replaced the gaskets and speed coated all the interior surfaces of the pump) Is that a race prepped impeller?:)Unsure Cause I really have no idea.:)sphss

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
My impeller looks like this (see images below), it is an aluminum AB cut of an unknown (to me) make, it started out as an A2 based on the stamping on the back. It came with the pump when it was sent off to be rebuilt (before I bought the boat) and blueprinted. It also has a bronze shouldered wear ring that came with the impeller (I guess) from whoever rebuilt the pump the first time. (I tore the pump down and rebuilt it when I got it, but it had only been run a couple times before the boat was sold, I just replaced the gaskets and speed coated all the interior surfaces of the pump) Is that a race prepped impeller?:)Unsure Cause I really have no idea.:)sphss

somebody's detailed that impellor, looks nice.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
There was alot of talk about this on hotboat, i had my bowl converted by MPD. Think it ran me 400 bucks and he only does certain times of the year when he's not busy. Go onto hotboat and do a search.
Well, I was hoping that since most of the good people from Hot Boat are over here, that we could get that info over here. And increase the amount of information over here, so I don't have to support HB by going over there, but I guess I'll have to now.:(

:D :)hand

somebody's detailed that impellor, looks nice.
Yep, but I don't know who, or even what brand impeller it is. I was told it's not a Berk., that it's a dominator. But, I always thought that the Doms had the second wear ring on the back side, which this one does not. And it doesn't look like one was machined off, so I'm clueless.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm wayyy off here... Aren't some pumps(dominators at's) more suited to higher HP and say a berk maybe a little lower. And if you bolt a 500 hp motor to a pump that was designed/tuned for an 900 HP motor, it would make less mph than with a pump designed/set up for a 500 hp motor?? And visa versa?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm wayyy off here... Aren't some pumps(dominators at's) more suited to higher HP and say a berk maybe a little lower. And if you bolt a 500 hp motor to a pump that was designed/tuned for an 900 HP motor, it would make less mph than with a pump designed/set up for a 500 hp motor?? And visa versa?
the at and doms are just thicker and have the reinforcement ribs along the sides, nothing wrong with using them in a lower hp boat, just means you can add more hp in the future without worryin about upgrading that part. the dominator housings are great for those newbie jetters that think its cool to jump the boat alot,lol. i've got buddy's that have been thru 6-7 housings each cause they like to show out and crack the weaker berk housings.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Yep, but I don't know who, or even what brand impeller it is. I was told it's not a Berk., that it's a dominator. But, I always thought that the Doms had the second wear ring on the back side, which this one does not. And it doesn't look like one was machined off, so I'm clueless.

it'd help if you showed the entire rear of the impellor in a pic;) there should be something stapmed back there

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
it'd help if you showed the entire rear of the impellor in a pic;) there should be something stapmed back there
Here ya go!!!!:D

Personally, I think it's a Berk, based on the H stamped back there. But, what do I know.:)sphss

Here's what started all of this impeller stuff.
Impellers!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts