Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys know about the new white Jesel cam drive belts? How much better are they from the black belts? Anyone have any problems with the black ones?

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
They are supposed to be as good as it gets as far as a 25mm drive goes. Improved materials and construction. (according to Jessel)
I believe CS19 and Cyclone have used them.
I may try one if I ever get that far with my project! :)sphss

·
Registered
879 Posts
What do you guys know about the new white Jesel cam drive belts? How much better are they from the black belts? Anyone have any problems with the black ones?
I have had problems with the black ones. I have had two that would not degree in without rotating the came sprocket one tooth. They worked fine other than that. I'm not sure if it was because the tooth spacing on the belts are off or what.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I have had problems with the black ones. I have had two that would not degree in without rotating the came sprocket one tooth. They worked fine other than that. I'm not sure if it was because the tooth spacing on the belts are off or what.
Actually mike it has nothing to do with the belt. It all has to do with the gear. they make the gear on a mill and not on a gear machine with the proper hob or shaper cutter, so the tooth profile on the cam or crank gear doesnt match the belt profile a 100%. But hey i wouldnt know just throwing it out there.:)

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have been using the same cam and crank gears for 12 years never had a problem except for these two belts. If I put one of my old belts on it works just fine. I haven't run into it on anyone else's stuff just mine. One of the cam guys I deal with said he has run into it before as well.

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
We use to have it happen all the time in cup racing. The 25mm belt is only designed for about 23hp of load. Due to the high load of a flat tappet cam combined with the heat of the belt system running a cover (to keep debris out) and escalating under hood temps (due to increasing aero efficiency) we just killed them. Those failures led us to different belt material and construction, a change to an HTD tooth design as opposed to the Gilmer type, and finally the development of the 30mm system that CV sells.
On a roller the load is typically less, and most don't run a cover, or subject them to high under hood temps for extended periods like cup cars do. I still believe that with the cams getting bigger, and resultant rise in spring pressure these days being fairly common I would go with the latest and greatest belt made, and even consider the 30mm drive if money is available. Losing a belt can get expensive in a hurry!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts