Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is not a jet boat guy, but was telling me about a 2 speed gear box that goes inline with the driveline to the pump!!! Anyone hear of these and are these worth a shit???

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 speeds hmmm???

When it was talked about I thought a 2 speed trans of some sort for a jet boat sounded pretty cool, but have never seen such a thing and thought somebody could shed some light!!!:hmmm:

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I had the same idea back when hot boat was around. What they r gonna tell ya is that by shifting and dropping your r's....you are gonna be slower because your motor makes less hp at 4k as opposed to 5k...or what ever. Your mileage may vary.:)coffee:)

·
Just Me
4,058 Posts
I had the same idea back when hot boat was around. What they r gonna tell ya is that by shifting and dropping your r's....you are gonna be slower because your motor makes less hp at 4k as opposed to 5k...or what ever. Your mileage may vary.:)coffee:)
This should play back into the does it take HP or TQ to make a jet boat fast. Obviously you have to have one to get the other. But if it takes TQ to get the pump turning, the reduction in RPMs might put the engine back into the peak of the TQ curve and allow it climb back up to the HP peak. It would be an interesting experiment but the engine would have to be built for the split to capitalize on any benifits available.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
If you already have the proper cut impy in you boat....one that is perfect for your power curve. Then add a "over drive"....you will slow down....period. Maybe you could put way to small of an impy in.....and come close....but why would you want to.:)Unsure

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Opposite..... spin a huge impeller at a slower rpm than the motor letting the motor turn where ever it makes peak power......

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think Widowmaker is on the right track here. Run a big impeller for max efficiency at cruise. Then switch gears (underdrive the pump) to get the engine in the correct RPM range for max power absorption and boat speed.

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
What Widowmaker is talking about is the way the Head Over Heels boat runs the gearbox. I have one of the gearboxes from Paul Prange as we ran it in the Pro Gas boat of Robbie Barrett a few years ago.

With the HP development that has taken place in NHRA Pro Stock, these engines are producing a high horsepower at high RPM. The RPM is many times in excess of 9000 RPM. We cannot get an impeller to have any efficiency when cut to the point it would turn 8500 to 10,000 RPM. However, what can be done is to use an efficient impeller size like an "A" then use an underdrive planetary like an Owens unit. this will allow the engine to be turned in the RPM of the engine peak efficiency, while spinning an impeller in a peak efficiency RPM. For an example, we were running Robbie's engine at approx 8500, but turning the "A" impeller around 7000 RPM.

A single planetary drive, not a gear change operation.

Gear

·
Registered
112 Posts
My misunderstanding.

So, do does anyone know if some backyard genius ever rigged anything similar to my misunderstood configuration (big impeller/2-speed box)?

It would (obviously?) have to be pretty compact & lightweight...

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I have seen both Lenco/Owens 2 speeds and Casale Z-drives in jet boats.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So herein lies a possible answer to a question I had. Do jet pumps have a "sweet spot" for rpm's/thrust. Kinda like if there is a efficiency curve to a jet pump? And if so can it be figured for a specific cut impeller.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
So herein lies a possible answer to a question I had. Do jet pumps have a "sweet spot" for rpm's/thrust. Kinda like if there is a efficiency curve to a jet pump? And if so can it be figured for a specific cut impeller.
Youll hear all kinds of theories on that one. Ive heard 7700 max, heard the guys running blown fuel ran 8800 on A impellers also and ran ok.

We did some testing at the end of last year and ran a nitrous boat at 8250 (no gear box) with no problems. All the pressures ramped up just like they should, good bowl pressure etc, great half tracks and a solid holeshot. Driver cut killer lights all weekend and we won the race too. 8250 is not a problem if you wanted to go there, I can tell you that cause we did it and it worked good.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
What Widowmaker is talking about is the way the Head Over Heels boat runs the gearbox. I have one of the gearboxes from Paul Prange as we ran it in the Pro Gas boat of Robbie Barrett a few years ago.

With the HP development that has taken place in NHRA Pro Stock, these engines are producing a high horsepower at high RPM. The RPM is many times in excess of 9000 RPM. We cannot get an impeller to have any efficiency when cut to the point it would turn 8500 to 10,000 RPM. However, what can be done is to use an efficient impeller size like an "A" then use an underdrive planetary like an Owens unit. this will allow the engine to be turned in the RPM of the engine peak efficiency, while spinning an impeller in a peak efficiency RPM. For an example, we were running Robbie's engine at approx 8500, but turning the "A" impeller around 7000 RPM.

A single planetary drive, not a gear change operation.

Gear
They are using gear reduction boxes in off- road. Very small, compact,light weight and very spendy that bolt to the back of the trans. It is along the lines of a planetary. To me it would seem almost impossible to shift a gear and not fall out of the power curve with a jet drive. The use of a V-drive has been done before to lower engine rpm and increase pump rpm and for the few I saw worked for that app. In a top fuel boat why not just adapt a lenco 2 speed as the prop boats do. Props will spin till the blades fly off, pumps ???????? Effectively anyway. Not to mention the effect of shifting a light weight boat that is already aired out. M

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
Wouldn't some sort of Lenco with an air shifter work similarly? Since the gear box/trans would be behind the motor?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nice moving fwd!!

I think an A impeller would be the way to go plus great holeshots! If a rod or race truck can pick up speed between gears to get in that top HP curve!!! I don't see why an empeller wouldn't do the same, if not easier to turn then two heavy wheels pushing a heavy vehicle. So I guess you would want the gear ratio to be close and I think this will work.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts