Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I used to own a 21' Jet Boat (can't remember the brand) and I am anxious to own another. The problem is that I nor anyone that I would be boating with are mechanically inclined. I remember my jet boat needing a lot of mechanical TLC. I want a fast, fun boat, but worry that getting another jet may be a mistake since I don't have the skills to fix it at the lake if it craps out...Do I get another jet anyway or is there a fun, fast boat that I could buy that wouldn't require so many fixes???? Thanks for the help! I wanna be in a boat come Spring 2012 and get back to life on the water!

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
You can have a jet that doesn't have problems all the time! But, I maybe one sided I have two now and thinking about a new one soon! And it depends on what you want out of the boat!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I guess it didn't have problems ALL of the time, but it felt that way!
What I loved about my jet was the speed and the roar of the engine. I miss that sound! Although, the fishermen DID NOT like the roar of the engine!

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
So, I used to own a 21' Jet Boat (can't remember the brand) and I am anxious to own another. The problem is that I nor anyone that I would be boating with are mechanically inclined. I remember my jet boat needing a lot of mechanical TLC. I want a fast, fun boat, but worry that getting another jet may be a mistake since I don't have the skills to fix it at the lake if it craps out...Do I get another jet anyway or is there a fun, fast boat that I could buy that wouldn't require so many fixes???? Thanks for the help! I wanna be in a boat come Spring 2012 and get back to life on the water!
Welcome to the boards , fast and fun your could,t have described a Jet boat better , re repairs Jets are easy to work on and actually have less to go wrong to begin with, budjet will play an import role in your choice I'm sure Tom

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Do you still want a big boat 21'+ or will a 19' work? Open bow or not? How fast? I know ???? :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the boards , fast and fun your could,t have described a Jet boat better , re repairs Jets are easy to work on and actually have less to go wrong to begin with, budjet will play an import role in your choice I'm sure Tom
Thanks, but it's just me and I have no skills in the mechanical department! Budget will be tight come this spring....

·
Registered
466 Posts
I too am new to the jet boat scene. Had older boat with I/O and it was more trouble than my jet I just picked up this last september. The jet boat has been trouble free and a blast to drive!

Attachments

·
The Good
483 Posts
Amie, i know of a great boat for you here in NM. Speedealer here on the boards has a great sleekcraft cruiser. 21' i believe. I have seen it . Very clean and he intends to build a new engine for it at a great price. Low hassle. PM me if your interested, he is not always on here like I am. I believe it is still buried in the boats for sale section. If you look up his profile you might find it easily there. Josh

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too am new to the jet boat scene. Had older boat with I/O and it was more trouble than my jet I just picked up this last september. The jet boat has been trouble free and a blast to drive!
You are lucky; that is a beautiful boat!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amie, i know of a great boat for you here in NM. Speedealer here on the boards has a great placecraft cruiser. 21' i believe. I have seen it . Very clean and he intends to build a new engine for it at a great price. Low hassle. PM me if your interested, he is not always on here like I am. I believe it is still buried in the boats for sale section. If you look up his profile you might find it easily there. Josh
Thanks Josh, I'll check it out!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I bought a 3500 jet ( i thought was reasonably cheap ) and had to do no work the whole summer while i was using it.. ALOT. Just take your time finding the right one that looks good, has a nice pump, and bbc :happy: some nice ones around the forum for a good price.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a 3500 jet ( i thought was reasonably cheap ) and had to do no work the whole summer while i was using it.. ALOT. Just take your time finding the right one that looks good, has a nice pump, and bbc :happy: some nice ones around the forum for a good price.
Thanks for the help! How do you know whether or not it has a good pump?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Berkeley...! Always good.

And I just got a 20' Southwind for $2900, ran good working on rebuilding the carb. But I looked for nearly 8 months, and wasn't even planning on buy at the time. It just came up perfect and had to jump on it.
Oh and yes 21' is big to most of the guys with jets, because they have older closed bow over transom super low profile 16-19' jet boats. 20'+ is widely know as slower family boat. Mostly because it's heavier and has more of a V bottom to it.

Has said above, fast - cheap - reliable. Pick two because you can't have all three. It just doesn't work. But it depends what's "fast" to you, if your okay with 50-60. Then go cheap&reliable. That's the route I went, because I do have a 4 year old daughter and really just wanted to be on the water. Can always upgrade later. I'd look to buy before April though, it's off season and fire sales right now you can get some pretty good deals. Take you time a look around, go see a few boats too.

Most important and what I want might not be what you want. Same goes for a lot of people, but most everyone on here will help you. Posting the adds or pictures does worlds!

Sent while on the run, or sitting at work bored

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Berkeley...! Always good.

And I just got a 20' Southwind for $2900, ran good working on rebuilding the carb. But I looked for nearly 8 months, and wasn't even planning on buy at the time. It just came up perfect and had to jump on it.
Oh and yes 21' is big to most of the guys with jets, because they have older closed bow over transom super low profile 16-19' jet boats. 20'+ is widely know as slower family boat. Mostly because it's heavier and has more of a V bottom to it.

Has said above, fast - cheap - reliable. Pick two because you can't have all three. It just doesn't work. But it depends what's "fast" to you, if your okay with 50-60. Then go cheap&reliable. That's the route I went, because I do have a 4 year old daughter and really just wanted to be on the water. Can always upgrade later. I'd look to buy before April though, it's off season and fire sales right now you can get some pretty good deals. Take you time a look around, go see a few boats too.

Most important and what I want might not be what you want. Same goes for a lot of people, but most everyone on here will help you. Posting the adds or pictures does worlds!

Sent while on the run, or sitting at work bored
Well, that is just about the best advice I've heard so far! I may be mistaken, but I believe that my jet was a Southwind as well (it's been awhile!).

I wish that it were possible to get a jet that is fast, reliable, and cheap but I'm good with 50-60 MPH for now, so I guess I'll go with cheap and Reliable! :grin:

And you are correct, I'm looking now thinking that I may get a better deal before spring!

Thank you so much for your insight!!

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I love jet boats to death buuuuttt....

For a 21' foot boat, you'd probably be better with an outboard setup. A ton more of interior room, alot easier on gas, typically a little faster than a standard jet boat, and usually a whole lot less work than a "Fast" jet boat.

But if you have kids and boat in shallow waters, a jet would be better suited.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love jet boats to death buuuuttt....

For a 21' foot boat, you'd probably be better with an outboard setup. A ton more of interior room, alot easier on gas, typically a little faster than a standard jet boat, and usually a whole lot less work than a "Fast" jet boat.

But if you have kids and boat in shallow waters, a jet would be better suited.
Hmmmmm, I hadn't even thought about the gas. Yes, my jet boat interior was very small, it would be nice to have some more room.

Shallow waters are also a consideration....all waters in New Mexico seem to be shallow these days!

1 - 20 of 120 Posts