Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to re-rig my Bahner....

Got to the stage where i installed the Jet housing to the suction housing and noticed a problem.
The jethousing is offset to one side.... (Perhaps 4-5mm). Its seems all the bolt holes drilled through the jet housing are offset to the right (When looking front on). It seems it was drilled this way from factory?

Do i drill & slot all the holes in the jet housing to correct this? Will slotting the bolt holes risk the jet drive shifting under load?
You can see how much the alignment is out by how much of the suction housing surface is visable when looking down the throat of the pump here.... I assume it could create some sort of cavitation before the impeller? Or create an air pocket?

Also looking at the pump front on... You can see it is offset to the left. (Gasket & suction housing face hanging out on the right side....)

Must have been like this for all the years i have owned the boat, and never noticed it upon strip down.
I still need to make my engine plates, and the alignment will be taylored to the jet housing position. Any advice? Anyone ever experienced this?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have seen people essentially "blend" the inside where the 2 surfaces meet before. I don't know if it's advisable to do or not. Why does the pump location determine your motor plates? Is it a 3-point mount? Don't forget that you want a couple degrees of angle in the driveline to keep the Ujoints from spinning the caps.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I woulsd slot the holes.

Then to lessen the fear of shifting, I would drill a few extra holes and add 4 extra bolts that have NOT been slotted.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
you can enlarge the holes in the suction piece to align the pump properly on the intake. once it's aligned, most guys drill and add a couple alignment pins.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Either slot or oversize drill the suction holes., Then drill a couple of holes catacorner in the housing and drive in some roll pins for holding it in place.

Duane HTP

·
Registered
354 Posts
Either slot or oversize drill the suction holes., Then drill a couple of holes catacorner in the housing and drive in some roll pins for holding it in place.

Duane HTP
while the allignment is important to some degree, how close it has to be is determined by the coupling. every coupling has an allowance. and your angular alignment is more important than your offset. I would check the allowance on the coupling before drilling and pinning you might be within tolerance.[HR][/HR]

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Looks like a Berkeley suction and a Different (non Berkeley) intake. Pretty common issue. I see it between Berkeley intakes and Dominator suctions all the time. Or/and vice-verse. Not a mistake, different index between manufacture's.

Be safe, schick

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
CS19 installed a berk intake in my new boat, and I have a dominator suction housing, both lined up perfectly. Either his is wrong from factory or I got lucky. I like the idea of just using the larger bolts, but I bet it'd be a pain with the intake already installed.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
CS19 installed a berk intake in my new boat, and I have a dominator suction housing, both lined up perfectly. Either his is wrong from factory or I got lucky. I like the idea of just using the larger bolts, but I bet it'd be a pain with the intake already installed.
Not that it can't be done. It's just a lot of work. I have welded the existing holes in the intake closed and indexed the two together, then re-drill and tap the mounting holes so it's all sanitary.
The index between the 2 companies is different. If you line up the tunnel of the suction it's the same shape and size, the holes are off. If you align the holes, the tunnel of the suction is off to the intake.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
It really depends on where the misalignment is, sometimes you grind/blend it, sometimes we slot the holes. It's not the easiest part to put upside down on a milling machine to slot the holes but it can be done. If you are going to open up the holes it's always better to slot than just over drill.

CS

·
Registered
37 Posts
while the allignment is important to some degree, how close it has to be is determined by the coupling. every coupling has an allowance. and your angular alignment is more important than your offset. I would check the allowance on the coupling before drilling and pinning you might be within tolerance.[HR][/HR]
Coupling is 2 to 4 degrees on a universal. I have seen this all the time on production built boats with some of those New Hire Jet Boat Guru's who installed at some shops after 3 beers, a hooter and a good old Line before going back to work after lunch. Thank GOD the Jet is not as complex in tolerance set up as the Guru to work!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Coupling is 2 to 4 degrees on a universal. I have seen this all the time on production built boats with some of those New Hire Jet Boat Guru's who installed at some shops after 3 beers, a hooter and a good old Line before going back to work after lunch. Thank GOD the Jet is not as complex in tolerance set up as the Guru to work!

I agree, sometimes its not hard to tell when something is made after lunch or on friday!:partyguy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts