Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I'm still a newbe when it comes to jets. What is a loader, and a ride plate and what do thay do for the jet boats. I'm sure the answer is well over my budget and horsepower range.

·
Registered
536 Posts
a loader is a part that replaces a grate, if you have one ,that bolts on inside the jet intake to direct water into the impeller better. if you have one,search "check your loader" here on pB. a ride plate is a plate that goes in from the intake under the jet output,helps with "ride" and lift. the intake needs to be removed to install the "big job"

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
The "plate" under the jet unit is a "ride plate".
It bolts to the rear of the intake under the boat (Intake has to be machined to accept it), and also bolts to the pump as you can see.
Usually is installed with a "shoe", which is a "scoop" at the back of the intake under the boat to force water into the intake when in motion.
Fancy ones are adjustable as far as angles.

A loader replaces the rock grate under the boat at the intake. It actually installs up inside the intake from the bottom and has "fins" that also direct water up into the pump while in motion.
Here is a pic where you can see the back of the ride plate. (Mine is NOT a fancy one!!)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I remember chating with you about your boat a couple months back. I believe I have the same boat. 1996 ultra formula. Not sure what year yours is or what setup is in it, but when I got mine it had ride plate, shoe and loader in it already. The pump is also set back pretty far, witch I believe they did to make more room for the back seat. also from what I hear its a southwind bottom. Ive been in the process of tuning and building new hardware the last couple of weeks cause it was all pretty tired and worn out. the loader and ride plate both had cracks in them. I would be interested to hear more about your boat and its setup. or if any one elses out there has some more info on these boats thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My ultra is a 97, and it doesent have any of that stuff, I beleive that someone swaped out the engine before they traded it in to the dealer I got it from. I have a stock gen.V 454 (truck engine) I rebuilt a couple years ago, with a edelbrock performer intake and a edelbrock 850 carb, 12c dominator pump, stock. runs great. not really that fast. top is about 55-60 @ 4350 rpm. seems to be a heavy boat compared to some of the boats my friends have.

Thanks for the input, now I have some idea what some of these treads are talking about.

·
Registered
31 Posts
right on. Im no expert on any of this but with doing all that stuff it will help free the boat up and you will get more MPH. Also doing work to the impeller and possiblly and inducer will help alot with getting max RPM and get that heavier boat out of the hole harder. its kinda fun playing with all the setup also. I would recommend tunning on it if possible

·
Registered
536 Posts
I remember chating with you about your boat a couple months back. I believe I have the same boat. 1996 ultra formula. Not sure what year yours is or what setup is in it, but when I got mine it had ride plate, shoe and loader in it already. The pump is also set back pretty far, witch I believe they did to make more room for the back seat. also from what I hear its a southwind bottom. Ive been in the process of tuning and building new hardware the last couple of weeks cause it was all pretty tired and worn out. the loader and ride plate both had cracks in them. I would be interested to hear more about your boat and its setup. or if any one elses out there has some more info on these boats thanks.
if you have cracks in your loader ,you better fix it before you go out again!:shock:

·
gets 'em wet
155 Posts
My ultra is a 97, and it doesent have any of that stuff, I beleive that someone swaped out the engine before they traded it in to the dealer I got it from. I have a stock gen.V 454 (truck engine) I rebuilt a couple years ago, with a edelbrock performer intake and a edelbrock 850 carb, 12c dominator pump, stock. runs great. not really that fast. top is about 55-60 @ 4350 rpm. seems to be a heavy boat compared to some of the boats my friends have.

Thanks for the input, now I have some idea what some of these treads are talking about.
Hey JP. My 2000 ultra formula has similar engine MP454 with the a little bit of upgrade(390hp), dominator pump(set way back) w/ droop snoot, tapered shoe and rideplate. It does about 70mph(5100rpm) when the water is good. I tinkered with a loader in it a couple of summers ago. I really got zero benefit from it(HP probably too low, I guess). I really felt like the boat didn't handle well with it and everytime I took it off after adjustments and put the grate back on I felt the boat was faster and handled better. For what it's worth I had the biting edges of the loader about even with keel at the time. The rock grate I have is the "speed grate" that AT offers. If you don't have a droop I would try that first for a little extra speed. Mine noticeably ran a little drier with the droop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey JP. My 2000 ultra formula has similar engine MP454 with the a little bit of upgrade(390hp), dominator pump(set way back) w/ droop snoot, tapered shoe and rideplate. It does about 70mph(5100rpm) when the water is good. I tinkered with a loader in it a couple of summers ago. I really got zero benefit from it(HP probably too low, I guess). I really felt like the boat didn't handle well with it and everytime I took it off after adjustments and put the grate back on I felt the boat was faster and handled better. For what it's worth I had the biting edges of the loader about even with keel at the time. The rock grate I have is the "speed grate" that AT offers. If you don't have a droop I would try that first for a little extra speed. Mine noticeably ran a little drier with the droop.
Tapperd shoe huh? did you ever try any backcut stuff? I got mine with a flat shoe and im gonna put a backcut shoe in it to try and free the boat up.

·
gets 'em wet
155 Posts
Tapperd shoe huh? did you ever try any backcut stuff? I got mine with a flat shoe and im gonna put a backcut shoe in it to try and free the boat up.
Never messed around with the shoe although I have at times thought about switching to a back-cut. With my fairly stock engine I just don't think it will make much difference. To get more speed adding hp would be the ticket at this point.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Since this is a newbie "lingo" thread, maybe some of you veterans can tell us what the difference is between a flat, tapered and backcut shoe.

How about "wedge plates", and when are they used?

Michael

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
BTW, That hyd. ram in the previous pic is the actuator for the "Place Diverter", which allows the nozzle to be trimmed up and down.
Some use a manual lever and cable, some use the Hyd. set up like mine.
The manual set up has indexed settings on the control lever for positive placement, the hyd. set up can "bleed" sometimes, mine does slightly at times.
But I have steering wheel buttons for up and down controls so it is no big deal to make adjustments on the fly with both hands on the wheel.
The diverter is generally one of the first mods people make, and most boats usually benefit from having the ability to trim.

Upstream from that is a 2" "Droop Snoot", which lowers the nozzle 2" from stock location. Some boats like them, some do not.

My pump started as a JC, one piece bowl. I had it modified to be a 2 piece (JG) so I could hook all that junk up to it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the shoe goes on the bottom of the boat and is the biting edge of where the water enters the suction houseing. depending on the degree of the shoe either up or down determines what kind of shoe it is. it can either lift the boat up or it can pull the boat down. A back cut nomally will lift the boat up and a tappered will pull the boat down. Im assuming tapped would be more for a real light boat or a tunnel to keep it hooked up.. back cut for more of a v bottom to create lift for less drag.. there are pictures on other threads that help explain it better. there is alot more to be explained in this area and im still real new to it all but that is the broad idea.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
What is a Shoe? Tappered or otherwise, back-cut?
The shoe is more or less a "water scoop" at the rear of the jet intake under the boat.

Your stock intake has a "biting" edge at the rear, a shoe is bolted on after machining the stock intake to accept it, usually in conjunction with a ride plate.

Here is a pic of a rideplate, shoe, and loader assembly sitting on the floor mounted to an intake.

The view is as if you were laying under the boat, looking up at it and to the rear.

The rideplate is the flat plate, the shoe is the sharp edged radius, and the loader is the ramp looking deal sitting inside the intake.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the definitions, and the jet vocab. lesson. I love getting on this forum. there is a lot on knowledge here to be learned.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts