Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
A Real Love For Speed
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 540ci 14.2:1 compression BBC with Brodix CNC BB-1 head 119cc chamber. Solid roller Comp cam w/ Adv. 285 / 295 Duration .656 & .640 lift due to 1.75:1 roller rockers. 950HP Holley Brodix Single plane intake. I am trying to spin this at 6,500 - 6,800 RPM. This is running a Berkley 12JB-A Jet. I need some advice on the pump. I am thinking of upgrading to a 12JG-A. This will be a lake blaster boat but the occasional prompt-to run with the local guy on the lake with a bigger mouth than a boat motor that I would sure like swamp his boat with my roost. :|err All advice is welcome.
Thanks, Boz

·
Registered
877 Posts
N
I am building a 540ci 14.2:1 compression BBC with Brodix CNC BB-1 head 119cc chamber. Solid roller Comp cam w/ Adv. 285 / 295 Duration .656 & .640 lift due to 1.75:1 roller rockers. 950HP Holley Brodix Single plane intake. I am trying to spin this at 6,500 - 6,800 RPM. This is running a Berkley 12JB-A Jet. I need some advice on the pump. I am thinking of upgrading to a 12JG-A. This will be a lake blaster boat but the occasional prompt-to run with the local guy on the lake with a bigger mouth than a boat motor that I would sure like swamp his boat with my roost. :|err All advice is welcome.
Thanks, Boz
Pretty sure the addition of a placedivertor will supply you with plenty of roost to accomplish your goal of swamping his boat with your roost.

·
A Real Love For Speed
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
N

Pretty sure the addition of a placedivertor will supply you with plenty of roost to accomplish your goal of swamping his boat with your roost.
Actually I do have a Place Diverter, I just want to insure there will be no doubt.
When it comes to that I can be vindictive. But who wants to lose?? NOT ME. :)bit

Boz

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Don't know anything about the setup or if you have already started, but based on the mill you are building you may want to reconsider the investment in the gel coat. Just my opinion and others may differ, but for the amount of money you are going to invest in re-gelling your boat added to what you could sell it for "as is" you would probably be able to find a hull better suited to handle the power and perform to your expectations.

I don't know anything about that brand and model of boat, but to me it looks heavy. Very heavy..... Why put a 20k motor in a 2500 boat? Just a thought..... There are some pretty decent deals out there right now on complete "less power" boats that might be a much better option.

Sounds like a pretty bad ass mill that will make some serious power!!:))THumbsUp

Oh, and you can't go wrong giving Chris a call at B1, he will steer you in the right direction..

·
A Real Love For Speed
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know anything about the setup or if you have already started, but based on the mill you are building you may want to reconsider the investment in the gel coat. Just my opinion and others may differ, but for the amount of money you are going to invest in re-gelling your boat added to what you could sell it for "as is" you would probably be able to find a hull better suited to handle the power and perform to your expectations.

I don't know anything about that brand and model of boat, but to me it looks heavy. Very heavy..... Why put a 20k motor in a 2500 boat? Just a thought..... There are some pretty decent deals out there right now on complete "less power" boats that might be a much better option.

Sounds like a pretty bad ass mill that will make some serious power!!:))THumbsUp

Oh, and you can't go wrong giving Chris a call at B1, he will steer you in the right direction..
River Dad,
Well at 1850 lbs it surely isn't the lightest boat on the lake. But it is surely strong enough to handle the rough water at my local lake.

Many times the fatties will sit on the side lines due to the rough water while I am still able to enjoy my boat. The 500 hp BBC that I am replacing will spin my Berkeley “A” impeller @ 5400 and the hull handles the rough water nice.
I Am Not Calling Anybody out on this. My boat is what it is.
And as far as putting too much money in to a boat that is not worthy of a naturally aspirated 540ci then I am sure I’m not the only one who is guilty of this.
Buy the way. Let’s go boating. At least we can agree on one thing..

Boz

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm not trying to call anybody out either, just an oppinion, and would NEVER claim to be right all the time.. I put tons of money into a boat I had as well and learned a good lesson, so no, you would not be the only one...

Sometimes it's worth it for sentimental value or whatever. What kind of hull is it?? Update the thread with progress pics if you can, with the mill you are planning, that should put a grin on your face when you mash it..:))THumbsUp

And I agree, Winter sucks...... At least you have plenty of time.... Ask for advice around here and you'll get all kinds!!!lol

RD

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
kind of looks like a sleekcraft tunnel?? doubtful you'll be able to turn an a 6800 unless you're starving the pump.

·
A Real Love For Speed
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm not trying to call anybody out either, just an oppinion, and would NEVER claim to be right all the time.. I put tons of money into a boat I had as well and learned a good lesson, so no, you would not be the only one...

Sometimes it's worth it for sentimental value or whatever. What kind of hull is it?? Update the thread with progress pics if you can, with the mill you are planning, that should put a grin on your face when you mash it..:))THumbsUp

And I agree, Winter sucks...... At least you have plenty of time.... Ask for advice around here and you'll get all kinds!!!lol

RD

This is a 1976 20’ 2” Aristocrat Tunnel It’s been at Bullet Fiberglass for 18 months now.
So far I have the 540ci Mill on the engine stand.
Chris @ B1 is making me an estimate for the pump.
It’s been a long while since I have had the boat out on the water so all this attention that
I have been giving it sure is torturing my soul…
Boz

Attachments

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Sounds like you are gonna have plenty of motor, wondering why u chose the cam u did, seems u coulda gone a little larger. Your boat looks similar to a sleek craft tunnel, if you were turning that A 5400, then u should be pretty close with your rpm goal. Like r
River Dad said, most of the time the motor is the most expensive investment of the project, so drive the boat a little before dumping a lot in a resto that you never be able to recoup, keep the pics comin whatever u choose to do!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
its a sleekcraft aristocrat. I say build what you want and enjoy it as you never get your money back outta any of em that you build. that hull is a little heavy but the classic lines on that model stands out and look classy to say the least. you won't hurt that hull.

·
A Real Love For Speed
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you are gonna have plenty of motor, wondering why u chose the cam u did, seems u coulda gone a little larger. Your boat looks similar to a sleek craft tunnel, if you were turning that A 5400, then u should be pretty close with your rpm goal. Like r
River Dad said, most of the time the motor is the most expensive investment of the project, so drive the boat a little before dumping a lot in a resto that you never be able to recoup, keep the pics comin whatever u choose to do!
Originally I stuck this cam in a 454 block with 12.25:1 pistons and the BRODIX sts BB-1 heads.
Then I upped the ante with the 540ci w/ 14.2:1 and just stuck all the new goodies on it. The rockers are 1.75: 1 so this will play in to my favor somewhat. But yes the cam is a bit small & so are the heads.

Boz

Attachments

·
A Real Love For Speed
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great choice of boat! Yes I'm a little biased. Love the lines of my sleek. Keep the progress shots coming.
Sweet Boat.
I always wondered what mine would look like with the windshield..
And I still have the same seats.
What upgrades have you done to your nice 460ci ?
It took me a very long time to decide what color to go with mine and I was
looking at yellow as well. What pump are you sporting? What RPM will that mill make ?
Most importantly, Do you enjoy it ?? :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a sst and would to see how it runs when you are done, let us know what you do to your pump to as I might do more motor upgrades after I get my new ss a-b cut impeller, had my eye one a 555 but it was sold only 489 for now

·
A Real Love For Speed
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have a sst and would to see how it runs when you are done, let us know what you do to your pump to as I might do more motor upgrades after I get my new ss a-b cut impeller, had my eye one a 555 but it was sold only 489 for now
I bought my 540 ci short block from USA Performance Parts for $4,298.00
It was one of those impulse buy’s. B1 will make the decision on which impeller but I will
Let you how well it performs.
Boz

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have build thread in the how to section here, called winter sleek project. My 460 was rebuilt short block, put ported d0ves on it, stealth intake, 850 DP, comp cams valve train, makes just over 500 hp. Has Berkeley pump with an A impeller. Hits just over 70 mph. Doing pump rebuild this winter , probably AB impeller.

·
A Real Love For Speed
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, Boz

Also,
How do I adjust my pump shoe and how do I know which way to go with it?
Is it all trial and error? Is there an initial set up I should start with?
Thanks for your input.
Boz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts