Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,
I trust everyone enjoyed their 4th and has returned with most of their digits intact! lol So I picked up a sweet 94 Eliminator Mojave and I'm going through the boat. My first trip I noticed the steering was a little tough so I thoght cable. Check new cable went back out....same problem....so this time I payed closer attention....turns out it's only under power and it seems that while under power initiating movement in the wheel takes extra effort but then it sort of frees up as you continue to move it. So I stop the boat and i can spin the wheel from the pump! and the wheel spins with a finger while it's not running. It's a Dominator 97 pump with a 454. I would appreciate any advise here as I'm out of answers and every mechanic tells me it's the cable. Thanks in advance!

JM

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Keep in mind, when water is moving through the pump, it wants to force the nozzle straight. The more throttle you use, the more effort it will take to turn.

It should still be reasonable though. I'd pull the pivot pins and make sure all the nyliners are in good shape and you've got no metal to metal binding going on. Also make sure that the cable pivot on
The tiller arm of the nozzle and the steer tube bushing allow sufficient misalignment. The pivot bolt shouldn't be tight....it should act as a floating pivot

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep in mind, when water is moving through the pump, it wants to force the nozzle straight. The more throttle you use, the more effort it will take to turn.

It should still be reasonable though. I'd pull the pivot pins and make sure all the nyliners are in good shape and you've got no metal to metal binding going on. Also make sure that the cable pivot on
The tiller arm of the nozzle and the steer tube bushing allow sufficient misalignment. The pivot bolt shouldn't be tight....it should act as a floating pivot
Thanks lbshz! Looks like I got some work to do!

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
excess bends in the cable will do just that, tucking it in and making it invisible looks good, but causes hard steering. point A to point B routing is the best, but obviously it must make one bend, and another small bend, at a minimum. Been done that, good luck getting it sorted out, you have got solid info so far.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
excess bends in the cable will do just that, tucking it in and making it invisible looks good, but causes hard steering. point A to point B routing is the best, but obviously it must make one bend, and another small bend, at a minimum. Been done that, good luck getting it sorted out, you have got solid info so far.
if it's a cable issue, it'll be the same all the time. not necessarily super free when shut down, then steer hard when under power. lb is correct to check the pivot pins and nyliners. make sure the pin bolts are tight.
but also check the holes the nyliners and pivot pins are sitting in. the holes can enlarge over time which can result in the same problem even with good nyliners and pins.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if it's a cable issue, it'll be the same all the time. not necessarily super free when shut down, then steer hard when under power. lb is correct to check the pivot pins and nyliners. make sure the pin bolts are tight.
but also check the holes the nyliners and pivot pins are sitting in. the holes can enlarge over time which can result in the same problem even with good nyliners and pins.
We're at the lake now and I'm digging in! Thanks for the help gang! I'll let you know what we find!
JM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it would seem like you are all correct! the nylon bushings were shot and the hydrolic piston at the end of the cable was blown out...and now the bearing let go....lol REBUILD! Thanks for the help gang.
best,
jetmike

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hi Gang,
I trust everyone enjoyed their 4th and has returned with most of their digits intact! lol So I picked up a sweet 94 Eliminator Mojave and I'm going through the boat. My first trip I noticed the steering was a little tough so I thoght cable. Check new cable went back out....same problem....so this time I payed closer attention....turns out it's only under power and it seems that while under power initiating movement in the wheel takes extra effort but then it sort of frees up as you continue to move it. So I stop the boat and i can spin the wheel from the pump! and the wheel spins with a finger while it's not running. It's a Dominator 97 pump with a 454. I would appreciate any advise here as I'm out of answers and every mechanic tells me it's the cable. Thanks in advance!

JM
Does it have a Place Diverter on it? If so does it have the built in rideplate on the nozzle. If not the reverse deflector could be dragging in the water especially in the down position, thus making it hard to steer. Just a thought.That is the reason Place went to the built in rideplate. On some boats it created a steering stiffness.

·
186 Posts
steering

My steering kinda "hangs up" slightly under hard acceleration- the cable is new but the bushings/nyliners probably need replaced. It makes me overcorrect and hunt a bit when opening the throttle getting on plane. Once it is on plane, it frees up. My buddies boat does it too, so I have not been overly concerned with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steering Issues....and Ignorance

Does it have a Place Diverter on it? If so does it have the built in rideplate on the nozzle. If not the reverse deflector could be dragging in the water especially in the down position, thus making it hard to steer. Just a thought.That is the reason Place went to the built in rideplate. On some boats it created a steering stiffness.
Sorry Greg but I can't answer that question..it does have a place diverter but I couldn't tell the difference between a ride plate and a dinner plate. It's a '97 Dominator and it seems pretty straight so no drop snout ....and thanks for the reply! I will bring it up to my mechanic.
Thanks!
jetmike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts