Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
exerpt from an old thread. I'm looking for one of these and can't seem to find one. Does anybody know who sells em? Sorry no photo, just a description.

johnnynitrous said:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNitrous
nice, thanks. I'm sure I can figure the pipe thread out. Here's another question; I've seen some people with some kind of reservoir attached to where the grease fitting usually is. What is this for? Oil? Is it better than just using a grease fitting?
Oil reservoir for the jet a way. It is there to allow expansion of the oil for the thrust bearing. When the oil heats up it expands and fills the reservoir with oil. That way it does not leak out through the seals.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Although that would work, it's a bit more than needed I think. The ones that I've seen only hold an ounce or so, and replace the grease zerk. The beauty of this piece is that if any fluid does rise up into it, it'll gravitate back down to the jetaway.

The problem I'm having is I'll get just a dripple of jetaway fluid from the rear thrust bearing seal in the mornings and I suspect it's just due to expansion/contraction due to temperature changes. It doesn't seem to leak while I'm driving it. That is to say I'll check it after a run and I don't see any evidence of leakage. Only when it sits over night.

If I can't find what I need that would work though. I even thought about just running a piece of capillary tubing (small plastic tubing for mech gauges) up the transom so its higher and can bleed off any pressure.

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
I know MPD has them, that is where I got mine.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Dan,
I talked to a guy that had one on his boat. He said you could buy it thru McMaster Carr. The problem is the pipe thread on the resevor is larger than the pipe thread on the zerk fitting. To enlarge the thread on the pump, you should take the pump apart so you don't get metal in it while drilling and tapping. So it's not a "no-brainer" deal.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
mcmaster.com

catalog page 2139

Oil Reservoirs

Order the 1/8 npt. What he said above about enlarging threads

Size is 2.5" diameter and 2.75" tall holds 1.75 oz

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
you can buy those truck rear differential vents at most parts stores, then just run long hose from the jetaway up into the transom capped off with that vent, it'll let the heat out and give the oil just a tad of room to expand. we had to do this to my uncle's dps racthet a few wks back;)

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Dan I found the oil expansion reservoir I got from Jack I will get it sent off to you.
I need to get off to work, but wanted to take just a minute here. This is so damned cool. Matt (the previous owner of the boat) looked up the rebuild here on the boards and we exchanged numbers. He's in Tennessee now and gave me a call yesterday. I got to find out a lot of the history (and clear up some of the mystery) about my boat. We talked for probably half an hour yesterday and this is him responding to my post about the reservoir.

Gotta say this was a very cool thing for him to do. Some guys would just be glad to have the deal done and never dream of contacting the buyer to help him out.

Thanks a ton Matt. Wish you were closer so we could go boating.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I need to get off to work, but wanted to take just a minute here. This is so damned cool. Matt (the previous owner of the boat) looked up the rebuild here on the boards and we exchanged numbers. He's in Tennessee now and gave me a call yesterday. I got to find out a lot of the history (and clear up some of the mystery) about my boat. We talked for probably half an hour yesterday and this is him responding to my post about the reservoir.

Gotta say this was a very cool thing for him to do. Some guys would just be glad to have the deal done and never dream of contacting the buyer to help him out.

Thanks a ton Matt. Wish you were closer so we could go boating.
way to go matt, and welcome to the site:)devil

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
you can buy those truck rear differential vents at most parts stores, then just run long hose from the jetaway up into the transom capped off with that vent, it'll let the heat out and give the oil just a tad of room to expand. we had to do this to my uncle's dps racthet a few wks back;)
the little reservoir that mpd sells mounts to the top so that oil can drain back into the bearing when it cools down. right now, the glass on mine is all red, but the reservoir is completely empty and nothing leaked out. many commercial pumps have these things installed as site glasses to monitor bearing oil level.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
the little reservoir that mpd sells mounts to the top so that oil can drain back into the bearing when it cools down. right now, the glass on mine is all red, but the reservoir is completely empty and nothing leaked out. many commercial pumps have these things installed as site glasses to monitor bearing oil level.
Are the threads on the reservoir the same as the same as the grease fitting?

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mcmaster.com

catalog page 2139

Oil Reservoirs

Order the 1/8 npt. What he said above about enlarging threads

Size is 2.5" diameter and 2.75" tall holds 1.75 oz
Are the threads on the reservoir the same as the same as the grease fitting?
I had to wonder the same thing Steve. I've got an 1/8" NPT plug in it now. If this reservoir is 1/8" NPT how can it have different threads. It should be the same thing.

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Youguys got any pics?I'dlike to see this thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the welcome I wish I had found this site sooner.

I'll try and post a pic before I box it up tonight. I'm looking around to see if there is anymore parts that got left behind.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I had to wonder the same thing Steve. I've got an 1/8" NPT plug in it now. If this reservoir is 1/8" NPT how can it have different threads. It should be the same thing.
Dan, just to be sure that we are saying the same thing, the reservoir screws into the hole where the grease zerk fitting is on the top of the suction housing. This is directly behind the jetaway. The reason I am going into this detail is because I don't think that hole is 1/8npt. The jetaway has 1/8npt holes for filling the oil, but this is not where the reservoir mounts. If you do have a 1/8npt hole, then either I'm wrong about the hole size on the suction housing, or your housing has been modified and your good to go. I can't check my housing as my boat is in Havasu. Maybe someone can help us out here, what size is the hole for the grease fitting?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dan, just to be sure that we are saying the same thing, the reservoir screws into the hole where the grease zerk fitting is on the top of the suction housing. This is directly behind the jetaway. The reason I am going into this detail is because I don't think that hole is 1/8npt. The jetaway has 1/8npt holes for filling the oil, but this is not where the reservoir mounts. If you do have a 1/8npt hole, then either I'm wrong about the hole size on the suction housing, or your housing has been modified and your good to go. I can't check my housing as my boat is in Havasu. Maybe someone can help us out here, what size is the hole for the grease fitting?

If I remember right Jack set it up for the oil reservoir it has been five years since then so my memory is a little fuzzy. The reservoir is 1/8 npt.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
here's a pic of the one i got from mpd over 6 years ago. i thought i'd take it off and clean it, so snapped a few. the oil on the inside of the glass is just residue - nothing came out when i removed it.

in this pic, the plug sitting next to the fitting is the top plug out of the jetaway - they are the same size...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts