Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a oil reservoir on McMaster-Carr and i've found the page with them. The old threads i've found about this guys talk about theirs being glass. The ones i'm finding are plastic and have a max temp of 160F. They have a high temp version with will go to 225F but it's not glass and they dont have a 1/8 NPT thread type. Anybody know where i can get one?

[email protected] is out of them....

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried Duane at HTP?
I would, but i need it by friday and he's too far. I ordered 1169K19 from mcmaster-carr just a few moments ago after talking with jack again. previous posts about these all talked about them being glass but jack said they are plastic... least the new ones are i guess.

Not what sucks is i have to pull my pump apart so i can drill and tap the zerk hole to accept a 1/8 NPT.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm trying to find a oil reservoir on McMaster-Carr and i've found the page with them. The old threads i've found about this guys talk about theirs being glass. The ones i'm finding are plastic and have a max temp of 160F. They have a high temp version with will go to 225F but it's not glass and they dont have a 1/8 NPT thread type. Anybody know where i can get one?

[email protected] is out of them....
This is what i got for mine #1303K11, its just like the old dominator one
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/2147/=4k9y9y

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I never ran one and never had a problem with it, but when I had the boat down over last winter I talked myself into putting one on and the POS leaked everytime I'd make a pass. It would leak out of the weep hole on top of it.And Yes I had it tapped into the top of the oil cavity.
Got tired of fighting with it and plugged it. No more leak.
If you run the recommended HTP lube in the jet away, its designed to not expand very much as it heats up and wont cause internal pressure and leakage. The only reason I can see to run one of these resevoirs is if your trying to use synthetic gear oil or something that expands.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Put one on. I have one on each boat. Lots of hours on each. Never had one leak or overflow. You must start with a very clean jet away and bearing. If you have any grease leftover in the bearing you will have problems.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Put one on. I have one on each boat. Lots of hours on each. Never had one leak or overflow. You must start with a very clean jet away and bearing. If you have any grease leftover in the bearing you will have problems.
Mine never had grease in it. Everything brand new. Hole drilled at 12 O'clock straight into the oil cavity , everything perfectly clean, yet everytime I'd make a really hard pass itd fill the little resivoir full enough to spit out of the little hole on the top.
I did take the spring & diaphram out of it as I was told to do, are you supposed to leave it in ?

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What size reservoir did you have, [email protected] told me to get at least a 4-5 OZ version. I havnt gotten mine yet but the one that shows on mcmaster-carr doesnt have a spring/plunger in the picture. Maybe you had the one used for grease that some guys without the jetaway use?

I was told that for drag use you dont have to have a reservoir but i will probably see a small leak after a pass. But for river use where your running the boat for long periods it was a must. I noticed the jetaway gets very hot.

I had asked Duane about them, and if i remember correctly he recommended one for river use too (duane correct me if i'm wrong).

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Mine never had grease in it. Everything brand new. Hole drilled at 12 O'clock straight into the oil cavity , everything perfectly clean, yet everytime I'd make a really hard pass itd fill the little resivoir full enough to spit out of the little hole on the top.
I did take the spring & diaphram out of it as I was told to do, are you supposed to leave it in ?
How many Oz. container are you using? How large of hole did you drill into the bearing cavity? I would drill like a 1/8" hole all the way through and then a Q size drill only part way through to be able to tap the hole with a 1/8" npt bottoming pipe thread tap. That way you don't have a huge hole all the way through into the bearing cavity. If you didn't do it this way I that is why when you make a pass it fills up I'm betting.

So when you added the jetaway, you replaced the main bearing in the jet drive too, or at least took it off the shaft and put it through the parts washer. I've heard several people having problems of just bolting on the jetaway without first cleaning the grease from the bearing.

The 5 oz version is perfect. How are you filling yours? do you fill it from the reservoir or through the fill hole and open the side hole for level checking?

Here is a pic of the res.

It holds 5 oz.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would drill like a 1/8" hole all the way through and then a Q size drill only part way through to be able to tap the hole with a 1/8" npt bottoming pipe thread tap. That way you don't have a huge hole all the way through into the bearing cavity. If you didn't do it this way I that is why when you make a pass it fills up I'm betting.
I'm confused, the one i bought is setup for a 1/8" NPT hole. Drilling a 1/8" hole would mean you couldnt TAP it for 1/8", are you running a larger thread size on your resevoir?

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
So when you added the jetaway, you replaced the main bearing in the jet drive too, or at least took it off the shaft and put it through the parts washer. I've heard several people having problems of just bolting on the jetaway without first cleaning the grease from the bearing.

I never knew about NOT having grease in the bearing. Now I see why MINE leaks all the time :( Looks like I just learned something new today. I will be installing a reservoir this winter when I tighten up the pump.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never knew about NOT having grease in the bearing. Now I see why MINE leaks all the time :( Looks like I just learned something new today. I will be installing a reservoir this winter when I tighten up the pump.
I'd think the grease wouldnt case leaks but would probably make the dog clutch or neutral pins to stick

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm confused, the one i bought is setup for a 1/8" NPT hole. Drilling a 1/8" hole would mean you couldnt TAP it for 1/8", are you running a larger thread size on your resevoir?

The standard thread for a berkeley zerk is 1/4-28, he's saying finish or enlarge the passage below the thread with a .125 drill bit then drill only as deep as you need to with a Q or 21/64 drill bit to allow for threading it to 1/8 NPT.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
How many Oz. container are you using? How large of hole did you drill into the bearing cavity? I would drill like a 1/8" hole all the way through and then a Q size drill only part way through to be able to tap the hole with a 1/8" npt bottoming pipe thread tap. That way you don't have a huge hole all the way through into the bearing cavity. If you didn't do it this way I that is why when you make a pass it fills up I'm betting.

The 5 oz version is perfect. How are you filling yours? do you fill it from the reservoir or through the fill hole and open the side hole for level checking?

Here is a pic of the res.

It holds 5 oz.
Thats probably what I did wrong.I drilled a larger hole(cant remember what size) into the bearing cavity, then tapped for 1/8th inch pipe. Also my resevoir is smaller and cheesier than the one in your pic.The little plastic piece of poop.
And yes , I had a new shaft-bearing-suction piece- and jetaway at the same time. Never had any grease in any of it.
Oh, and I fill mine through the normal fill hole on top until it runs out the one on the side.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts