Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
"That Guy"
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need more info and personal stories about jet away's and pop off's, i took my boat out on Monday to test with the new engine, it shut down and almost flipped,went over so far that the water caught and broke off the corner of my splash guard. thought I was "check'n out". I don't know if i should put one or none of the above on my boat, I hear some say its good and some say dont waste your $$$

what to do???
I don't want to waste my $ if thats just the way my boat is when it shuts down...
18ft ultimate tunnel
aggressive loader, ride plate
about 850 or 900 hp

Any info would be great, THANKS:)st

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
What is your hardware looking like. Is your shoe hanging way down? How bout the loader? any pics?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
It really depends, a big reason to use a pop off is to relieve pressure obviously because the impeller slows down with rpm yet the boat is still traveling at the same rate of speed and the shoe is still picking up the same amount of water and the pump cannot digest all the water that it was when the impeller was at full rpm. I know guys that have run their boats into the 120's with no pop off, probably not a good idea, but really if you back of the gas slowly and have time to let the boat slow down before chopping the throttle you will be fine. IMO you should NEVER chop the throttle in a boat running at speed. I'm not saying that is what you did, just be careful. Many racetracks do not have a lot of run out so slowing the boat down quickly it is necessary to have a popoff.

It sounds like you need to change the shoe depth or loader ramps to be less aggressive and slowly make adjustments.

Worry about the popoff and jetway less and concentrate and the making slow hardware changes at a time to get the boat to perform the way you want it first. Remember some guys take an entire season at the race track if not many seasons trying to reach the point where the boat runs fast and safe.

I have both on my deal and I would never go back to a fast boat without them. But then again if you are not planning on racing maybe think twice. Jet aways are nice but as a safety device they do help, but I wouldnt rely solely on a jetaway at 115 mph.

For a jet away you must disassemble the pump and change a seal direction and drill and tap the zerk fitting for a oil reservoir, and then drill and tap the suction housing for four more 5/16 bolts to hold the jet away on with 8 bolts to the bearing housing. It is not a simple bolt on and go. Plan on spending around 1600 bones by the time you are done. (its a bit more complicated but not too bad)

For a popoff you must also disassemble the pump and have the suction housing machined for the popoff, and then you must add the necessary plumbing in the boat and CO2 bottle and wiring so it is a substantial amount of work. Plan on spending around 2000 if not more for everything with machining.

I'm sure there is a lot I'm leaving out but this should help a little, all of the above is just my suggestions.

·
"That Guy"
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya the shoe and loader hang down pretty good, no i don't have any pics, i already pulled it all out of the boat so i could re-do the intake. I'm just worried about the boat hookn or filliping over if the engine cuts out.
Is a pop-off going to help out enough to warrant the $???
and once the water comes back out the pump,cause it cant pass the impeller and pushes no nose down,and causes my tunnel to hook, will a pop-off eliminate this?

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
How do you use the boat for the most part? strictly racing around deal?

Is the cleanout cover outside the boat? Pop offs are a bit of a hassle sometimes with the co2 thing,etc.

If you slowly roll out of the throttle and use a long distance to shut the thing down you should be fine, if not you got issues with your setup.

Ive ran mine over 130 mph at 8 flat in the 1/4 with no valve and got it shutdown, it was a handful at times and almost went on the beach more than once but it was doable. Seen guys go way quicker than that with no valve.

Jetaway helps but wont fix any of your handling issues.

·
Pro Gas Jet
747 Posts
I had a hard time landing my wildercraft with just the jetaway and a wilder pop off vavle( to much shoe.). When i went to the mills valve it was cake landing her and the motor shut off twice on me and she went straight. I highly recommend the pop off vavle.

·
"That Guy"
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just use it to fart around nothing to big, and yes the clean out is outside the boat, im not worried a slow shut down, just a sudden engine cut out at higher speeds. i guess i need to look at a pop off over a jet away.

·
FAT GUY IN A TPR STEALTH
1,828 Posts
i just use it to fart around nothing to big, and yes the clean out is outside the boat, im not worried a slow shut down, just a sudden engine cut out at higher speeds. i guess i need to look at a pop off over a jet away.
hey turd i have both on my boat the JETAWAY is great for warming up the motor so you don't burn up your pump...
the POP OFF will save your LIFE and your Investment$$$$..!!!!

ROY mersh POP OFF WITH A BUSBY AIR SYSTEM,,,

WORTH EVERY DIME..!!!!!!!!!!! JMO

·
Registered
557 Posts
Turd, before you spend a whole bunch of money, could I suggest talking to someone like Jack McClure, or Jeff Bennett (who are both close to you)?
It really sounds to me like you have some set-up problems.

Ken F

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
hey turd i have both on my boat the JETAWAY is great for warming up the motor so you don't burn up your pump...
the POP OFF will save your LIFE and your Investment$$$$..!!!!

ROY mersh POP OFF WITH A BUSBY AIR SYSTEM,,,

WORTH EVERY DIME..!!!!!!!!!!! JMO
I have brains in stock and Mike Miller should have the Meirsch valves, give me a call

(949) 870-5773 and I can get it all together for you.

·
Pro Gas Jet
747 Posts
We can get you the Original Mills pop off valve. just call us we'll take care of you! we make the best and fix the rest! 314-805-8958 :|err

·
Banned
989 Posts
Turd, before you spend a whole bunch of money, could I suggest talking to someone like Jack McClure, or Jeff Bennett (who are both close to you)?
It really sounds to me like you have some set-up problems.

Ken F
X2

·
"That Guy"
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i need to talk to them cause i re-set my intake early next week and need to buy a new loader and shoe, so i do have some questions about all that stuff. and whats best to run for my boat.
so if you know where i could get some phone numbers that would be great.
thanks man:)devil

1 - 20 of 33 Posts